    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    , Jul 27, 2006

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On 26 Jul 2006 18:06:44 -0700, wrote:

    > I am seriously considering getting the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS so now
    > i am thinking about memory. I don't want to spend extra (like for a
    > SanDisk Extreme III) if the mem wildly exceeds the camera's write
    > speed. So would something like SanDisk Ultra II still top the SD700 max
    > write speed?

    According to dpreview.com:

    > Timing Notes
    >
    > All times calculated as an average of three operations. Unless otherwise stated all timings
    > were made on a 2816 x 2112 Fine JPEG image (approx. 2,325 KB per image). The media
    > used for these tests was a 1.0 GB Sandisk Extreme III card.
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > File writing / playback performance
    >
    > The SD700 takes around 0.7 seconds to save a 2.3MB 6MP/Super Fine JPEG;
    > pretty good going for a camera of this type - the SD700 will certainly benefit
    > from using faster cards.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd700is/page10.asp

    This is the same as about 3.29 MB/sec. While the testing was done
    with an Extreme III card, I believe that the Ultra II would be
    adequate, but just barely, meaning it might be a tiny bit slower,
    but you'd be hard pressed to notice any improvement using the
    Extreme III. But if the Extreme III isn't too much more expensive
    than the Ultra II it might be worth getting, if only so it'll be up
    to speed for your next, presumably faster camera. I think that the
    Extreme III also includes some file recovery software but that
    shouldn't boost the value very much, since similar free software is
    available for download. This SD700 review didn't have very much
    information about card speeds, but the Nikon D200 review had some
    useful data. Note the last line giving the Ultra II JPEG write
    speed, which is only about 2% slower than the SD700 wrote to the
    Sandisk Extreme III card:

    > Cardbus 32-bit Adapter benchmark
    > Card Cardbus 32-bit Adapter, write speed (RAW files)
    > 1 GB SanDisk Extreme III 9,368 KB/sec
    > 1 GB Lexar Pro 133x 9,043 KB/sec
    > 8 GB SanDisk Ultra II 4,692 KB/sec

    > Card performance: RAW continuous burst write
    > Card Nikon D200 write speed (RAW files)
    > 1 GB SanDisk Extreme III 8,557 KB/sec
    > 1 GB Lexar Pro 133x 8,498 KB/sec
    > 8 GB SanDisk Ultra II 4,902 KB/sec

    > Card performance: JPEG Fine continuous burst write
    > Card Nikon D200 write speed (JPEG Large / Fine)
    > 1 GB SanDisk Extreme III 6,890 KB/sec
    > 1 GB Lexar Pro 133x 7,285 KB/sec
    > 8 GB SanDisk Ultra II 3,218 KB/sec

    But take everything said so far with a grain of salt. Only by
    having someone compare the SD700 with those two cards will you
    really know if the Ultra II would or wouldn't slow down the SD700.
    You can be pretty certain of one thing though, that the Extreme III
    wildly exceeds the SD700's needs. :)

    ASAAR, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thank you for info (and about dpreview, nice site). I was mainly
    interested in the Ultra because of the Ultra Plus, that can convert and
    be plugged directly into a USB slot, very handy.

    Thanks again,

    -Gaiko

    , Jul 28, 2006
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On 27 Jul 2006 18:40:00 -0700, wrote:

    > Thank you for info (and about dpreview, nice site).

    You're welcome.

    ASAAR, Jul 28, 2006
  5. bitwisebob Guest

    On 26 Jul 2006 18:06:44 -0700, wrote:

    >I am seriously considering getting the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS so now
    >i am thinking about memory. I don't want to spend extra (like for a
    >SanDisk Extreme III) if the mem wildly exceeds the camera's write
    >speed. So would something like SanDisk Ultra II still top the SD700 max
    >write speed?

    I put a Transcend 4gb SD into my PowershotS3IS, and it works great,
    tons of room, a fast card, and cost only $99 from Newegg, less after
    the rebate I'm still waiting on. Check them out, should work well in
    the SD700IS.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820163159
    Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) TS4GSD150 - Retail
    Weekend Sale
    $90.99 ($60.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate) $4.99 Three Day Shipping

    take a look

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon