    was the max - or was that maybe boot partitions? I only want to run one OS.

    Thanks,
    Tim

    Tiny Tim, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Tiny Tim

    philo Guest

    "Tiny Tim" <> wrote in message
    news:41b6e6c4$0$9333$...
    > I'm getting a 250GB HDD delivered some time today and would like to put
    > multiple partitions on it to manage data better and streamline defrags.
    > It'll be running NTFS under Win XP MCE 2005. Is there a practical limit on
    > how many partitions I can have. I was thinking of going with...
    >
    > 10 GB OS and Apps
    > 50 GB Docs, Photos, Music
    > 60 GB DV editing workspace (need to keep it away from everything else for
    > defrag reasons)
    > 120 GB Movies and TV recordings
    > 10 GB Misc backups and Ghost images
    >
    > At the moment I have three partitions on my 30GB laptop drive and that
    > works fine, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that four partitions
    > per HDD was the max - or was that maybe boot partitions? I only want to
    > run one OS.

    the limitation of 4 applies to *primary* partitions

    however since you will probably just be creating one primary
    partition and multiple logical drives
    you are allowed to make up to 24 partitions total
    drives C though Z

    philo, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Tiny Tim

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Tiny Tim" <> wrote in

    > I'm getting a 250GB HDD delivered some time today and would like to
    > put multiple partitions on it to manage data better and streamline
    > defrags. It'll be running NTFS under Win XP MCE 2005. Is there a
    > practical limit on how many partitions I can have. I was thinking of
    > going with...
    >
    > 10 GB OS and Apps
    > 50 GB Docs, Photos, Music
    > 60 GB DV editing workspace (need to keep it away from everything else
    > for defrag reasons)
    > 120 GB Movies and TV recordings
    > 10 GB Misc backups and Ghost images
    >
    > At the moment I have three partitions on my 30GB laptop drive and that
    > works fine, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that four
    > partitions per HDD was the max - or was that maybe boot partitions? I
    > only want to run one OS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    You can have 4 primary partitions at max. With FDISK you can make only 5
    partitions, 1 primary, and 4 logical. With a good partition manager there
    is no practical limit. I have 12 partitions on a disk, made with Ranish
    Partition Manager (freeware), but I don't know of it will pass the 138GB
    border.

    Ingeborg, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Ingeborg wrote:
    > "Tiny Tim" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm getting a 250GB HDD delivered some time today and would like to
    >> put multiple partitions on it to manage data better and streamline
    >> defrags. It'll be running NTFS under Win XP MCE 2005. Is there a
    >> practical limit on how many partitions I can have. I was thinking of
    >> going with...
    >>
    >> 10 GB OS and Apps
    >> 50 GB Docs, Photos, Music
    >> 60 GB DV editing workspace (need to keep it away from everything else
    >> for defrag reasons)
    >> 120 GB Movies and TV recordings
    >> 10 GB Misc backups and Ghost images
    >>
    >> At the moment I have three partitions on my 30GB laptop drive and
    >> that works fine, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that four
    >> partitions per HDD was the max - or was that maybe boot partitions? I
    >> only want to run one OS.

    > You can have 4 primary partitions at max. With FDISK you can make
    > only 5 partitions, 1 primary, and 4 logical. With a good partition
    > manager there is no practical limit. I have 12 partitions on a disk,
    > made with Ranish Partition Manager (freeware), but I don't know of it
    > will pass the 138GB border.

    Thanks for the quick replies. I have Partition Magic lying around somewhere
    and will install that to sort things out.

    Tiny Tim, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Tiny Tim

    Ingeborg Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "Tiny Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm getting a 250GB HDD delivered some time today and would like to
    >> put multiple partitions on it to manage data better and streamline
    >> defrags. It'll be running NTFS under Win XP MCE 2005. Is there a
    >> practical limit on how many partitions I can have. I was thinking of
    >> going with...
    >>
    >> 10 GB OS and Apps
    >> 50 GB Docs, Photos, Music
    >> 60 GB DV editing workspace (need to keep it away from everything else
    >> for defrag reasons)
    >> 120 GB Movies and TV recordings
    >> 10 GB Misc backups and Ghost images
    >>
    >> At the moment I have three partitions on my 30GB laptop drive and
    >> that works fine, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that four
    >> partitions per HDD was the max - or was that maybe boot partitions? I
    >> only want to run one OS.
    >>

    > the limitation of 4 applies to *primary* partitions
    >
    > however since you will probably just be creating one primary
    > partition and multiple logical drives
    > you are allowed to make up to 24 partitions total
    > drives C though Z

    In XP you can mount partitions in directories on an NTFS partition, so
    you can have more partitions.

    Ingeborg, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Tiny Tim wrote:

    > I'm getting a 250GB HDD delivered some time today and would like to put
    > multiple partitions on it to manage data better and streamline defrags.
    > It'll be running NTFS under Win XP MCE 2005. Is there a practical limit on
    > how many partitions I can have. I was thinking of going with...
    >
    > 10 GB OS and Apps

    Make that your first partition, when you install XP. Leave the rest until
    you have a working XP.

    > 50 GB Docs, Photos, Music
    > 60 GB DV editing workspace (need to keep it away from everything else for
    > defrag reasons)
    > 120 GB Movies and TV recordings
    > 10 GB Misc backups and Ghost images

    You can create almost as many partitions/logical partitions as you want from
    within XPs drive management (workplace-rightclick-manglement-drive
    management). Don't use a 3rd party program because XP will put the
    "partition signatures" into its registry, otherwise you have at least a
    additional restart and the unnecessary costs or risks (of incompatibility
    issues) of 3rd party programs.
    You can have 4 primary partitions, or (up to) 3 primary and one "extended"
    with an arbitrary number of "logical drives" inside. Practically you won't
    have more than 24 driveletters available, but NFTS allows "mounting" other
    partitions inside a ntfs partition.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Tiny Tim

    BIG NIGE Guest

    I have 2 160gb sata drives each is partitioned into 5 (Obviously the more
    Partitions the More space lost Partitioning)

    HDD 1 = C, E, F, G, H (C Being the OS + Programs that require being on
    "C" ) (Others being Progs, Games, Music Etc)

    HDD 2 = D, I, J, K, L (D Being a 5GB Swapfile)( Others Being Backup,
    Downloads, Storage, Working areas for utils like clone DVD etc)

    I can also decide which Partitions I want to "Share" on the Home Network.

    This works well 4 me (especially keeping My Daughters SIMS away from
    everything else).

    BIG NIGE, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Tiny Tim

    Plato Guest

    Tiny Tim wrote:

    > 10 GB OS and Apps

    WAY to little for C: If you did that you'd run into problems within a
    week.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Tiny Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> 10 GB OS and Apps

    > WAY to little for C: If you did that you'd run into problems within a
    > week.

    Sorry but that's crap. I run a 6GB OS/Apps partition on my main laptop and
    have been happy with it like that ever since XP was released. Right now I
    have 1.8GB free. I have a full install of Office 2003 Pro, Nero and Palm
    Desktop and various related app. At the moment I don't have photo or video
    editing software installed but if I did then I still wouldn't get anywhere
    near a problem limit. I've certainly had it on the machine in the past. It
    might be a different story if I installed games on my machine but I don't.

    I also have XP (MCE 2005) installed on a laptop with a 4GB drive, just for
    experimentation purposes before I build my own MCE machine (last two bits of
    hardware arriving today, I hope) and I still have 1.5GB free.

    XP sets aside some pretty large space by default for things like hiberfile
    (don't need it), swap file (too big by default), system restore (massively
    too big by default), recycle bin (massively too big by default). If you tune
    your system properly and keep it tidy by clearing out temp file junk and
    internet cache (also too big by default) then you will be just fine.

    --
    Please quote "easytiger" for your PlusNet referral :)

    Tiny Tim, Dec 9, 2004