  1. Hello,
    What is the max. no of OSPF areas a router (for example C7200) can still
    handle ?

    Roland Sonder, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Roland Sonder

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Roland Sonder wrote:

    > Hello,
    > What is the max. no of OSPF areas a router (for example C7200) can
    > still handle ?

    depends.
    1) how many routers are in the areas
    2) stub?
    3) totally stubby?
    4) volatile network?
    5) NPE-G1s?
    6) large routing tables?

    There are no absolutes in networking....

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Roland Sonder

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Roland Sonder wrote:
    > I agree and I do understand your remarks. It's just a lot of
    > variables I don't yet know myself. Actually I'm kind of looking for
    > a guidelines to help me to make a better design evaluation for a
    > particular customer. The current OSPF network is fairly unstructured
    > and does not cope with new requirements such as additional backup
    > links. In the new design the customer wants a particular router to
    > be a member of several areas (>50). When I saw this design, I was
    > just uncertain whether the router can cope with it and what platform
    > this might require. So far I haven't found any area restriction just
    > recommondations on how many routers one should not exceed per area.

    One router that's in more than 50 areas? That's insanity. You can get
    away with four areas on a 7500 even in a decent size network. But
    summarization from other areas is a must. And it has to be a stable
    network. What kind of people design networks that require a router to
    be in 50 areas? (I'm excluding class carrier boxes like Shasta's that
    can virtualize routing tables)

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 19, 2005