    stored in each file of Outlook 2000? 1 G Bits?

    Is it true that with Outlook 2003, there is no limit to the stored
    file size of each file as long as there is enought hard disc space?

    Percy, Jul 8, 2007

  2. Percy

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:14:39 -0700, Percy wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me what is the maximum capacity (M bits) that can be
    >stored in each file of Outlook 2000? 1 G Bits?

    What does the "1 GBits?" mean? It's not a question.

    1000Mb is 1Gb.

    2GB if the help deskcalls are work are anything to go by. You can
    workout the 2GB(yte) to bits conversion yourself.

    >Is it true that with Outlook 2003, there is no limit to the stored
    >file size of each file as long as there is enought hard disc space?

    Could depend on the file system, registry settings from a group policy
    defined by system administrator.

    www.google.com try finding out on your own, or even ask in the MS
    Outlook newsgroup(s).

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 2,270,000 English pages for outlook
    maximum file size. (0.09 seconds)
    How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files ...
    After this maximum size is reached, Outlook does not permit the size of
    the file to grow beyond this size. Back to the top ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925 - Similar pages

    Description of the purpose and capacity of Outlook storage facilities
    The total file size of a .pst cannot exceed 2 Gigabytes (GB). ... as you
    desire and each folder can contain a maximum of 16 kilobyte (KB)
    subfolders. ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208480 - Similar pages

    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]
    Maintaining Outlook's Data File
    While the technical maximum size of a PST file is 2 Gigs, problems can
    occur well before then. ... To find the Location of the Outlook PST
    file. ...
    www.onecomputerguy.com/app_info/outlook_maintain.htm - 26k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    How to repair Outlook folders using the Inbox Repair Tool
    By default, Microsoft Outlook will install the Scanpst.exe file within
    your ... it is likely that your PST file exceeded the maximum file size
    of 2Gb. To ...
    www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html - 21k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Shrinking Outlook Files - Expert Help by PC Magazine
    Outlook stores its data in a file with a .pst extension or, if you
    connect to an Exchange Server, an .ost extension. The maximum size for
    this file is ...
    www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,715722,00.asp - 111k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Outer limits -- Outlook's 2GB maximum file size | Ask Jack ...
    Outer limits -- Outlook's 2GB maximum file size. February 16, 2006 12:04
    PM | Printable version. Is the 2GB limit on Outlook real or an urban
    myth? ...
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/2006/02/outer_limits_outlooks_2gb_maxi.html
    - 39k - 6 Jul 2007 - Cached - Similar pages

    Tech Patterns :: Outlook 2003 maximum personal folder file size
    size. I ran into this problem, even though outlook 2003 supports a
    theoretical 33 ...
    http://techpatterns.com/forums/about756.html - 13k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Me

    why?, Jul 8, 2007

  3. Percy

    Vanguard Guest

    "Percy" wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what is the maximum capacity (M bits) that can be
    > stored in each file of Outlook 2000? 1 G Bits?
    >
    > Is it true that with Outlook 2003, there is no limit to the stored
    > file size of each file as long as there is enought hard disc space?

    There is always a limit in filesize whether it be by the application
    that uses the file or the file system in the OS.

    Pre-OL2003 had a limit of 1.87GiB (or 2GB) for the ANSI .pst file. If
    you use Exchange, the size limit for your mailbox on the server is
    determined by settings made by the mail admin. If you are approaching
    Outlook's filesize limit for the .pst file, either decide to purge out
    old e-mails, get rid of attachments, especially if you already saved
    them to a file, or learn to use its auto-archive feature to push old
    items into an archive file (and you can even run auto-archive on the
    archive file so it pushes even older items into another archive file as
    long as you open that archive files in Outlook so it can run its
    auto-archive function on them).

    There was a change in the format of the .pst file in OL2003 and after.
    Microsoft has a huge support knowledgebase at
    http://support.microsoft.com. Use the advanced search to select your
    product and enter a search string. Go read
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336/en-us.

    Vanguard, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Percy

    john_mayer1981

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Hello,

    A Personal Storage Table (.pst) is an open file format used to store copies of messages, calendar events, and other items within Microsoft software such as Microsoft Exchange Client, Windows Messaging, and Microsoft Outlook. Default .pst file format was ANSI and had a maximum size of 2 GB. Outlook 2003 and later, .pst files are created in the Unicode format and have a default maximum size of 20 GB.

    Unfortunately upgrading your existing Outlook PST is not automatic and not easy.From Outlook 2003 and onward, the standard format for .pst and .ost files is Unicode (UTF-16 little-endian).This allows a user-definable maximum-file size up to 20 GB that exceeds the previous limit of 2 GB. This format is supported by Microsoft Outlook 2003 and later (2007).A file that is created in the personal-folders format in Outlook 2003 or in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 is not compatible with earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook and cannot be opened by using those older versions. If this limit is reached or sometimes exceeded, retrieval of the .pst file can be difficult if not impossible.

    For changing the file format of PST file you can use third party tool SysInfoTools PST Upgrade and Downgrade software. I can refer you a link which can help you to convert PST file format ,This software support MS Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010. It can help you to convert PST file format.

    http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/pst-upgrade.html

    Good bye

    john_mayer1981, Jul 14, 2011