    clients. I am considering upgrading to the newer series.

    Bandwidth is pretty small, about 30kb per PDA (just viewing webpage).

    Do you think the newest Cisco gear could handle 200 PDA's on them?
    ahawk, Apr 15, 2009

  2. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    On Apr 14, 4:22 pm, ahawk <> wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > What is the max clients you have ever tested on the newest Cisco AP's?
    >
    > I have a setup with about 200 PDA's (802.11b only) and I have a few
    > 1231 Aironets that can handle about 120 before they start dropping
    > clients.  I am considering upgrading to the newer series.
    >
    > Bandwidth is pretty small, about 30kb per PDA (just viewing webpage).
    >
    > Do you think the newest Cisco gear could handle 200 PDA's on them?

    Any help?
    ahawk, Apr 15, 2009

  3. ahawk

    bod43 Guest

    On 15 Apr, 17:22, ahawk <> wrote:
    > On Apr 14, 4:22 pm, ahawk <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Guys,

    > > What is the max clients you have ever tested on the newest Cisco AP's?

    > > I have a setup with about 200 PDA's (802.11b only) and I have a few
    > > 1231 Aironets that can handle about 120 before they start dropping
    > > clients.  I am considering upgrading to the newer series.

    > > Bandwidth is pretty small, about 30kb per PDA (just viewing webpage).

    > > Do you think the newest Cisco gear could handle 200 PDA's on them?

    > Any help?

    No:) Sorry.

    Cisco do publish Design guidelines. Maybe search [cisco enterprise
    design].
    Oh yes, maybe reference design.
    Here is one.
    "LAN Baseline Architecture Branch Office Network Reference Design
    Guide"

    Worth looking there (not that specific document I wouldn't imagine)
    for
    sensible limits.

    Also alt.wireless.internet has some people very experienced with
    wireless. Not generally cisco but there may be 802.11
    limitations to run into on any platform.
    bod43, Apr 15, 2009
  4. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    > I can warrant that none of our APs will support *more* than 200 clients
    > on any given radio ... 200 is the hard limit.
    >
    > What is your aversion to using multiple APs for this many clients?

    Picture 1,000 people with Wi-Fi PDA's walking into a large conference
    room, no bigger than a few thousand square foot. We have to provide a
    TON of access points to support the distribution.

    Because these people are sitting classroom style, and like 1 foot from
    each other, it is very difficult to distribute a good network without
    like 30 AP's, and tons of duct tape as you can imagine on the floor
    with all those Cat-5 cords.

    Any suggestions?
    ahawk, Apr 15, 2009
  5. ahawk

    Thrill5 Guest

    Re: Max Clients, Stress Test Results from anyone using Cisco Wireless Ap's? (WDS) HELP!!

    All the AP's are not going to be using on the same frequency and with RF
    power controll you can support a large number of AP's in a "small" area.
    With 802.11b you will have 3 non-overlapping frequencies. A wireless LAN
    controller will automatically select the frequencies and set the appropriate
    power levels to support high density wireless. The Cisco WLAN controller
    software now supports "micro-cell" technology to support very high density
    deployments.

    Thrill5, Apr 15, 2009
  6. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    On Apr 15, 3:57 pm, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > All the AP's are not going to be using on the same frequency and with RF
    > power controll you can support a large number of AP's in a "small" area.
    > With 802.11b you will have 3 non-overlapping frequencies.  A wireless LAN
    > controller will automatically select the frequencies and set the appropriate
    > power levels to support high density wireless.  The Cisco WLAN controller
    > software now supports "micro-cell" technology to support very high density
    > deployments.

    Thanks for the help on the micro-cell deployment. It just seems so
    overwhelming to have to setup 30+ ap's in a room where it will be used
    for 2 hours though. Any other suggestions?
    ahawk, Apr 16, 2009
  7. ahawk

    bod43 Guest

    On 16 Apr, 17:49, ahawk <> wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 3:57 pm, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    >
    > > All the AP's are not going to be using on the same frequency and with RF
    > > power controll you can support a large number of AP's in a "small" area..
    > > With 802.11b you will have 3 non-overlapping frequencies.  A wireless LAN
    > > controller will automatically select the frequencies and set the appropriate
    > > power levels to support high density wireless.  The Cisco WLAN controller
    > > software now supports "micro-cell" technology to support very high density
    > > deployments.

    > Thanks for the help on the micro-cell deployment.  It just seems so
    > overwhelming to have to setup 30+ ap's in a room where it will be used
    > for 2 hours though.  Any other suggestions?

    If you have to have this working as part of the conference for
    1000 people, get someone in who has done it before.

    Will presumably be a bit tough to test in advance?

    "like 30 AP's, and tons of duct tape as you can imagine on the floor
    with all those Cat-5 cords. "

    You could perhaps use dual radio APs and use 802.11a to link
    the APs together and 802.11b/g (presumably) for the clients. You
    will of course still need power but that may already be distributed
    for you.

    Even as a wired network this might need some significant design.
    For example - limited CPU power devices, how many can you
    have in a broadcst domain?
    How many will connect at once - dhcp server performance.

    If you want any kind of roaming on top of that you could be in
    a world of pain unless you go the whole hog with a managed
    system.

    http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns279/c649/ccmigration_09186a00808d9330.pdf
    bod43, Apr 16, 2009
  8. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    > If you have to have this working as part of the conference for
    > 1000 people, get someone in who has done it before.
    >
    > Will presumably be a bit tough to test in advance?
    >
    > "like 30 AP's, and tons of duct tape as you can imagine on the floor
    > with all those Cat-5 cords. "
    >
    > You could perhaps use dual radio APs and use 802.11a to link
    > the APs together and 802.11b/g (presumably) for the clients. You
    > will  of course still need power but that may already be distributed
    > for you.
    >
    > Even as a wired network this might need some significant design.
    > For example - limited CPU power devices, how many can you
    > have in a broadcst domain?
    > How many will connect at once - dhcp server performance.
    >
    > If you want any kind of roaming on top of that you could be in
    > a world of pain unless you go the whole hog with a managed
    > system.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns279/c649/cc...

    Thanks bod43. It seems like Micro-Cell is my only option. I could
    run POE for the AP's which would help with the cabling requirements,
    but man, this seems like such a nightmare.

    I am in talks with Cisco to find an expert on micro-cell, so hopefully
    that will bring some ideas to the table.

    Is there a solution for upgrading or chaining together AP's to boost
    the amount of clients they can handle?
    ahawk, Apr 16, 2009
  9. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    ahawk, Apr 16, 2009
  10. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    On Apr 16, 1:59 pm, Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    > ~ Is there a solution for upgrading or chaining together AP's to boost
    > ~ the amount of clients they can handle?
    >
    > As I said, I can warrant that none of our APs will support
    > more than 200 clients per radio.  This is a hard limit.

    Have you had deployments that will handle 200 clients? Was it just web
    browsing? Any other metrics for that 200 client limit? Thanks!
    ahawk, Apr 16, 2009
  11. ahawk

    ahawk Guest

    ahawk, Apr 20, 2009