    can get their crap together.
    --
    Slack
    =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=, Aug 19, 2007

  2. On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:47:44 -0700, â–€Slack wrote:

    > I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but I'm
    > a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
    >
    > So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
    > memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
    > limit due to XP?
    >
    > I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
    > can get their crap together.

    MS, getting their crap together? I wouldn't hold my breath. You might
    turn blue.
    Ophelia Cummins, Aug 19, 2007

  3. =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=

    old man Guest

    Its not due to XP

    old man, Aug 19, 2007
  4. =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "?Slack" <> wrote in message
    > I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but I'm
    > a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
    >
    > So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
    > memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
    > limit due to XP?
    >
    > I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
    > can get their crap together.

    No, 2GB is not an XP limit. It's the HARDWARE limit in your model of laptop.
    Nothing difficult to understand there.

    There is a limit in XP - it's about 3.25GB. If you had a system which
    allowed 4GB installed, XP would only use it's limit, but it would be there
    for Vista if you moved to that OS.
    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  5. =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=

    SgtMinor Guest

    â–€Slack wrote:

    > I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but
    > I'm a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
    >
    > So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
    > memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
    > limit due to XP?
    >
    > I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
    > can get their crap together.

    MS says: "Windows XP supports a maximum of 3GB of memory space
    allocation to any Windows application, including CATIA; Windows 2000
    supports a maximum of 2GB memory."

    But why wait for MS to get their crap together? Vista is absolutely
    wonderful, especially if you add Windows OneCare, Microsoft's extra-cost
    security program. Sure, some people complain about the constant
    interruptions of this program asking you to answer baffling questions,
    and OK, some of your movies and mp3s may not play very well, and yes, it
    is slow and a memory hog, but it's NEW!
    SgtMinor, Aug 19, 2007
  6. =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:39:59 -0400, SgtMinor wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but
    >> I'm a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
    >>
    >> So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
    >> memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
    >> limit due to XP?
    >>
    >> I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming MS
    >> can get their crap together.

    > MS says: "Windows XP supports a maximum of 3GB of memory space
    > allocation to any Windows application, including CATIA; Windows 2000
    > supports a maximum of 2GB memory."
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb496975.aspx
    >
    > But why wait for MS to get their crap together? Vista is absolutely
    > wonderful, especially if you add Windows OneCare, Microsoft's extra-cost
    > security program. Sure, some people complain about the constant
    > interruptions of this program asking you to answer baffling questions,
    > and OK, some of your movies and mp3s may not play very well, and yes, it
    > is slow and a memory hog, but it's NEW!

    Set up a brand new HP Intel duo core vista lappy for a friend the other
    day. Took eons to load from a cold boot, had more shit popping up than a
    free porno site. Mouse cursor paused frequently when opening/closing
    dialog boxes. Cursor even disappeared a couple times. What a crock of shit.
    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2007
  7. =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=

    Rectum Burn Guest

    =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?= <> said in

    > I've want to upgrade the amount of RAM in my notebook (Dell 1505), but
    > I'm a little confused after doing some reading/searches.
    >
    > So, my Dell manual says max RAM in my notebook is 4 GB, but Crucial's
    > memory scanner and even Dell's support forum say 2 GB is max. Is the
    > limit due to XP?
    >
    > I want to run 4 GB for possible [future] move over to Vista assuming
    > MS can get their crap together.

    Dell is notorious for being completely fucked up, anymore. As for the
    amount of ram your PC, I would say (as others have replied) that the hard
    ware limitation. Windows XP 32 bit (as well as Vista 32 bit) can only
    address 3.25 gigs of memory. You have to get XP 64 or Vista 64 to recognize
    more than that and that has to be ran on a machine with a 64 bit processor.

    Rectum Burrrrrrrrn
    Rectum Burn, Aug 20, 2007