    Mavica? Guest

    Any opinions on the Mavica's that store the images on the mini Cd'S I
    currently have an older model that uses floppy's. Thanks for any info

    Mavica?, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Mavica?

    Bill Crocker Guest

    We have several where I work...for sales people. Without exception, all the
    drives started having problems, after about one year of normal use. They
    were all sent out for repair, not one has yet to be returned.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Mavica?

    james Guest

    I started to buy one once (I have/am selling) an FD-91, and wanted to find a
    way to store more images without all the floppies taking over the house.
    So, I looked at the mini-CD cams. Nice pictures for sure. But, SLOW writing
    times. And those mini-CD's are not available just anywhere. I finally
    bought a point and shoot 4mp, Compact flash camera(cheapy) that my wife
    uses, and put a Canon 10D on layaway for me! CF cards store easy, way more
    storage space, and I burn CD's from the downloaded camera images for long
    term storage.
    So, I decided against getting the CD Sony. Had I not wanted the 10D so bad
    (DSLR) I would have gotten the Sony F717, which uses a Memory Stick. Still
    better than the floppy or mini-CD storage, in my opinion.
    james

    james, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Mavica?

    JohnO Guest

    Just my opinion as I've never used a CD Mavica.

    I had a CD Walkman that fell off a coffee table and went to junk so I wasn't
    interesteted in a CD camera. Had a FD Mavica that flew off the seat of my
    car during a sudden stop and never missed a beat.

    When I upgraded I went with the FD-97 (at a steal, which is why I upgraded)
    and quickly found out using MS was the way to go. I still use floppies for a
    few shots around the house and carry a few with me (handy to copy and hand
    out to people) but I was never interested in a CD camera.

    So now my poor Mavicas sit in their camera bags, wondering why this new
    camera, the Canon 10D, is having all the fun (as I am too!).

    Looks like I'm willing to agree ... floppies are a thing of the past (cough,
    cough, gasp, gasp!) or close to it :)

    JohnO, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Mavica?

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <C9aXa.12118$tf.447@lakeread03>, johneo@NOSPAM!cox.net
    says...
    > Looks like I'm willing to agree ... floppies are a thing of the past (cough,
    > cough, gasp, gasp!) or close to it :)

    O H M Y GOD ! ! ! ! !

    People in hell must be a little chilly right about now ;-)

    You knew I would jump in here didn't you John?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 3, 2003
  6. Mavica?

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mavica? wrote:

    > Any opinions on the Mavica's that store the images on the mini Cd'S I
    > currently have an older model that uses floppy's. Thanks for any info

    If you don't mind a large camera that takes a long time to write to the
    disk between pictures, you will probably like it.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 3, 2003
  7. >"Mavica?" <> wrote in message
    >> Any opinions on the Mavica's that store the images on the mini Cd'S I
    >> currently have an older model that uses floppy's. Thanks for any info

    I have one, so I'll chime in. I'm also quoting the post by james
    because it has some points I'd like to respond to.

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:09:58 GMT, "james" <>
    wrote:

    >I started to buy one once (I have/am selling) an FD-91, and wanted to find a
    >way to store more images without all the floppies taking over the house.
    >So, I looked at the mini-CD cams. Nice pictures for sure. But, SLOW writing
    >times.

    Excellent pictures. Write times are a bit longish (3-6 seconds for a
    5MP pic on the CD500), but the buffer will hold about 9 pictures
    before holding up your shooting. I take a *lot* of pictures (I tend to
    shoot at least 300 a week even if I've not gone anywhere), and I don't
    think I've ever hit the buffer limit.

    >And those mini-CD's are not available just anywhere.

    I've seen them available at Wal-Mart, Sam Goody, and all over the
    internet (eBay usually has over a hundred auctions going on them at
    any given time). Not trying to offend, but this isn't really an issue
    these days (though it well may have been when you were looking into
    buying one).

    The big plus, at least for me, is that I can run off for the weekend
    (or a week, or whatever) with a shirt pocket full of CDs and not worry
    about bringing along a laptop or running out of storage space. On a
    recent trip to Indianapolis, I was able to shoot and shoot and shoot.
    Around a gig of pictures later, I was awfully glad that I wasn't
    dealing with flash cards. You can output the pictures to a TV and run
    a slide show, so it's very easy to share pictures with friends/family
    who either don't have a computer, or don't have one in a spot
    conducive to socializing.

    I love my camera. 2 family members have CD Mavicas and love them. My
    first CD Mavica was sold to a chum, who loves it. A bit bulkier than
    most digicams, but really nice cameras with a lot of features. And, if
    you're using a floppy Mavica, the bulk won't seem bad at all.

    As they say on Reading Rainbow, though, you don't have to take my word
    for it. Check out the following links:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CD500/CD50A.HTM
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/cd500.html
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Digital_...arch_vertical_~all?search_string=mavica cd500

    Ultimately, only you can decide if it's the right camera for you, but
    I don't know anyone who's got a CD Mavica who doesn't absolutely adore
    it.

    Cheers,
    Viller Ramone

    Viller Ramone, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Mavica?

    james Guest

    Viller, please don't think I was knocking everything about the Mavica's that
    use the mini-cd's.
    I'm not. But, my one big complaint (for me anyway) is/was, carrying around
    a pocket full of cd's . Just like I did with my FD-91 (which is about to
    sell as I write this), carrying around a ton of Floppies. At least with the
    floppies, you could erase a bad image, with the CD's, (if I'm not mistaken)
    it was write once and too bad if the photo turned out to be a dud. I really
    did love the 14X Zoom on my FD-91 and it is one thing I'll miss until I can
    afford a good zoom lense for my Canon 10D. And if you think about it, the
    cost of the newer 5Mp Sony CD camera is getting close to 3/4 of what you
    can find a 10D for. That too was another reason I didn't go with it. I
    just like the added control that the 10D, or any DSLR for that matter, gives
    me.
    But, everyone has either limits financially or some other reason for not
    going for a DSLR and that is good. The whole idea is about photography and
    having fun.
    And even the best DSLR in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use
    it correctly, won't make those photos great or even good.
    As for media availability, those same stores also sell Compact Flash cards
    (although in some areas they are too expensive). And best of all, they are
    re-writable. To me that is a big plus.
    It is one of the reason's I have sold nearly all of my 35mm SLR's.
    Developing film to find that I got a few out of focuse photos instead of
    sharp like I had hoped can be frustrating. At least with my FD-91 I could
    erase the bad pictures and try again. It might take a bit, but it did do
    it.
    And with the 10D, well, it erases way faster than the FD-91 ever did !!
    Happy shooting with your camera,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's the best part !
    james

    james, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Mavica?

    james Guest

    Not all of the Mavica's will work with those adaptors.. I checked into one
    for my FD-91
    (selling now on Ebay as I write this,,,,,,,less than 2hrs. to go) and I
    found out that the FD-91 will not work with it. Bummer, I really would have
    liked to get the extra storage capacity.
    james

    "Robert E. Williams" <> wrote in message
    > You can purchase a Floppy/Memory Stick adapter to enable Mavicas to have

    128 MB of memory.
    > Other manufacturers e.g. Flash Path by Smart Disk, make Floppy/CF and

    Floppy/SM adapters which are much cheaper..
    > I'm not positive that they will work on a Mavica, but they work well on a

    PC.

    james, Aug 7, 2003
  10. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:50:53 GMT, "james" <>
    wrote:
    (assorted snips throughout for brevity)
    >Viller, please don't think I was knocking everything about the Mavica's that
    >use the mini-cd's. I'm not.

    No worries. Likewise, please don't think I'm coming down on you - I'm
    just clarifying a few points and explaining why I decided that the CD
    Mavica was the camera for me. I'm the first to admit that it isn't for
    everyone, but I think it's easy enough for almost anyone, but
    tweakable enough for all but the most hardcore pros.

    >But, my one big complaint (for me anyway) is/was, carrying around
    >a pocket full of cd's .

    Not a big deal for me, since I either wear pocket shirts, put them in
    my coat or camera bag, or have my GF throw them in her purse. I must
    admit that there have been times that I've been out and about sans any
    of those, and carrying an extra CD or 2 was a bit of a pain in the
    posterior.

    My big complaint is running out of storage space. As previously
    mentioned, I take a lot of pictures. I also don't have a laptop, so
    the storage I take with me is the storage I have. I've had 1 week
    trips where I've shot over 2 gigs of pictures & video. Flash cards
    with that much storage would have cost rather a lot of money,
    especially at the time. Instead, I used ~$7 worth of CDs. That
    consideration trumped pretty much everything else for me

    >Just like I did with my FD-91 (which is about to
    >sell as I write this), carrying around a ton of Floppies. At least with the
    >floppies, you could erase a bad image, with the CD's, (if I'm not mistaken)
    >it was write once and too bad if the photo turned out to be a dud.

    Well, you can use CD-RWs. They're usually about 2-3 times the cost of
    the CD-Rs (which run about 50¢ each if you buy them in bulk). The
    general consensus among Mavicans is that RWs aren't worth the bother
    due to the low cost of Rs and the convenience of having an instant and
    (more or less) permanent archive. Even if you're using Rs, you can
    erase bad pictures as long as you haven't finalized the CD (it doesn't
    free up any space, but they stop showing up in the index or through
    Windows Explorer). There are a number of Mavica enthusiasts who simply
    use and reuse some number of CD-RWs, but I'm not among them. I like
    being able to take people to places I've been in the comfort of their
    den. Some people prefer not to have dozens of tiny CDs all over their
    house. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

    >And if you think about it, the
    >cost of the newer 5Mp Sony CD camera is getting close to 3/4 of what you
    >can find a 10D for.

    Actually, you can get a CD500 for under $600 including shipping, which
    is less than half the lowest price I could find on the 10D (which is a
    big part of why I couldn't even consider a 10D, alas).

    >The whole idea is about photography and having fun.

    Couldn't agree more. A lot of us lose sight of that. Well, enough
    proselytizing - time for bed.

    Cheers,
    Viller Ramone

    Viller Ramone, Aug 8, 2003