Matt's CGI FormMail script ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi All

    Ok.... i have "built" my form and i am now trying to add "formMail" -

    When the "form" is completed and the "customer" hits the submit button i
    want the form to come back to me at my personal email address.

    To do this i have to add my emaill address to the FormMail - but i can't see
    where.

    There is a FAQ and it says what to do BUT the words used in the FAQ do not
    show up when i do a "search" in the FormMail script itself.

    Has anyone used MATT'S SCRIPTS before - if so can u point me to the relevant
    "LINE" where my email addy has to go.

    (As soon as i have this finished - my next project to become a rocket
    scientist - it just has to be EASIER than this task.)
    Many thanks

    anOLDun, Jan 22, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    wisefool Guest

    anOLDun said:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Ok.... i have "built" my form and i am now trying to add "formMail" -
    >
    > When the "form" is completed and the "customer" hits the submit
    > button i want the form to come back to me at my personal email
    > address.
    >
    > To do this i have to add my emaill address to the FormMail - but i
    > can't see where.
    >
    > There is a FAQ and it says what to do BUT the words used in the FAQ
    > do not show up when i do a "search" in the FormMail script itself.
    >
    > Has anyone used MATT'S SCRIPTS before - if so can u point me to the
    > relevant "LINE" where my email addy has to go.
    >
    > (As soon as i have this finished - my next project to become a rocket
    > scientist - it just has to be EASIER than this task.)
    > Many thanks

    Hmm. Never used this... But looking at...

    http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/formmail.html#recipient

    ....it appears that you need to edit *not* the CGI script, but between the
    text <form ...> and </form> in the HTML pointing to it.

    If the form is on a .html or .htm or .xhtml or .shtml or any plain
    HTML page (ie not scripted) you search the
    HTML of the page with the form on it, and find this bit (search for
    recipient):

    <input name=recipient value=wrong.email>

    Replace wrong.email with the <right>@<address>.com and off you go.
    Preferably
    put the right email in single or double quotes.

    If the page with the form is scripted (eg not .htm or any of the above)
    then you will either need to learn CGI and make the equivalent change
    to recipient yourself, or contact the person that built that page and get
    them to make the change. Was the script file for the page with the
    actual form on it provided with FormMail? Tell me if it is. But I
    doubt it.

    HTH

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004

  3. anOLDun

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:04:19 -0000, anOLDun wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >Ok.... i have "built" my form and i am now trying to add "formMail" -
    >
    >When the "form" is completed and the "customer" hits the submit button i
    >want the form to come back to me at my personal email address.

    If I was one of your custimers and knew you were using that script,
    first thing I would do is leave and find another supplier.

    >To do this i have to add my emaill address to the FormMail - but i can't see
    >where.

    See the setup notes, instead.

    >There is a FAQ and it says what to do BUT the words used in the FAQ do not

    So which if the 3 FAQ questions didn't answer your question. Didn't
    question Q2 help?

    If not, you didn't read the readme -
    1. table of contents , near the top
    2. or Form Configuration

    * Necessary Form Fields
    o recipient

    Don't forget the setup notes either?
    http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/formmail.html#setting_up

    >show up when i do a "search" in the FormMail script itself.
    >
    >Has anyone used MATT'S SCRIPTS before - if so can u point me to the relevant

    Yes.

    >"LINE" where my email addy has to go.

    Not exactly. (hint it's before line 55 in the script and a field on the
    form see FAQ Q2)

    Can't you even see the warning on Matt's site saying not to use it.
    It was a proof of concept only and is well know for security holes,
    using it on your ISP/hosting site may well mean loss of your account.

    Often it's specifically mentioned in the T&C / it's been disabled and
    it's banned from use.
    http://www.modwest.com/help/kb10-83.html

    http://www.nexusportal.net/showthread/t-565.html

    http://www.1hourhosting.com/cgi-bin/kb.cgi?view=43&lang=en

    http://support.webyourbusiness.com/CGISupport/FAQ_CGI-BIN.shtml

    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/web/restrictions.shtml
    FormMail
    The FormMail CGI script [http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html] is
    BANNED on the webspace service.
    This perl script suffers from continuous security breaches, leaving it
    open for spammers to exploit. As a security conscious ISP, we cannot
    sanction its running on the webspace service.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 23, 2004
  4. anOLDun

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > anOLDun said:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> Ok.... i have "built" my form and i am now trying to add "formMail"
    >> -
    >>
    >> When the "form" is completed and the "customer" hits the submit
    >> button i want the form to come back to me at my personal email
    >> address.
    >>
    >> To do this i have to add my emaill address to the FormMail - but i
    >> can't see where.
    >>
    >> There is a FAQ and it says what to do BUT the words used in the FAQ
    >> do not show up when i do a "search" in the FormMail script itself.
    >>
    >> Has anyone used MATT'S SCRIPTS before - if so can u point me to the
    >> relevant "LINE" where my email addy has to go.
    >>
    >> (As soon as i have this finished - my next project to become a rocket
    >> scientist - it just has to be EASIER than this task.)
    >> Many thanks

    > Hmm. Never used this... But looking at...
    >
    > http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/formmail.html#recipient
    >
    > ...it appears that you need to edit *not* the CGI script, but between
    > the text <form ...> and </form> in the HTML pointing to it.
    >
    > If the form is on a .html or .htm or .xhtml or .shtml or any plain
    > HTML page (ie not scripted) you search the
    > HTML of the page with the form on it, and find this bit (search for
    > recipient):
    >
    > <input name=recipient value=wrong.email>
    >
    > Replace wrong.email with the <right>@<address>.com and off you go.
    > Preferably
    > put the right email in single or double quotes.
    >
    > If the page with the form is scripted (eg not .htm or any of the
    > above) then you will either need to learn CGI and make the equivalent
    > change
    > to recipient yourself, or contact the person that built that page and
    > get them to make the change. Was the script file for the page with
    > the actual form on it provided with FormMail? Tell me if it is. But
    > I doubt it.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > wisefool

    Sorry anOLDun. why? does appear to have more relevant knowledge
    about this script (!). It seems that Matt's 1.9 script is probably not as
    unsafe as 1.6 but this just shows you the importance of a reputation...

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  5. You might want to check with your host about using that script. Its banned
    at most places. We absolutely forbid it. Most hosts, like us, will provide
    you with an alternative form to use.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 23, 2004
  6. On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:07:43 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

    >> When the "form" is completed and the "customer" hits the submit
    >> button i want the form to come back to me at my personal email
    >> address.

    I used to be familiar with it, though it's a pain in the ass to setup,
    depending on the server using. You will need to know the path to
    sendmail if on a linux/unix server. If on windows, you'll have to get
    a windows compatible sendmail, put it in your path, configure it, pass
    the appropriate parameters and make a bunch of modifcations for it to
    work about 15% of the time.

    John H. Guillory, Jan 24, 2004
  7. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Wisefool and Why?

    Many thanks for the replies.............. and apologies for delaying in
    replying but have been away.

    Seems it would be most prudent if i did NOT use this script at all.........

    WHY?......
    I visted one of the links you very kindly supplied -
    sniphttp://support.webyourbusiness.com

    It says, as you so rightly advised that it has been banned. It also says
    that they would direct to "user" to an acceptable formmail script.

    So i am off to hunt one down.

    Once again many thanks.

    anOLDun, Jan 26, 2004
  8. anOLDun

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:01:50 -0000, anOLDun wrote:

    >Hi Wisefool and Why?
    >
    >Many thanks for the replies.............. and apologies for delaying in
    >replying but have been away.
    >
    >Seems it would be most prudent if i did NOT use this script at all.........
    >
    >WHY?......
    >I visted one of the links you very kindly supplied -
    >sniphttp://support.webyourbusiness.com
    >
    >It says, as you so rightly advised that it has been banned. It also says
    >that they would direct to "user" to an acceptable formmail script.
    >
    >So i am off to hunt one down.

    Er.... read the Matt's FormMail page, it tells you what the more secure
    drop in replacement is.

    http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html
    nms Formmail
    The following is a drop-in replacement for FormMail that has been
    developed by a project called nms. We have also supplied info about
    their goals and modifications.
    nms Formmail file format: .zip (29kb), .tar.gz (23kb)

    See
    http://www.scriptarchive.com/nms.html

    why?, Jan 27, 2004
  9. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi.......

    Just spotted this reply and the one u mentioned is the one i am using.

    Now i should say " great minds think alike" but i think one of us would feel
    insulted. I can't even say " fools never differ" again for the self same
    reason.

    :)))))))

    So i'll just say .........thanks for taking the time to reply - as always -
    it is very much appreciated.

    anOLDun, Jan 28, 2004