    Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.

    Cheers,

    Coupon

    Make Yourself, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
    > warehouse.
    >
    > Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
    >
    > Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
    >
    > Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
    >
    > Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    In pieces per hour, Warren picks 538 / 7 = roughly 77 pieces per hour.
    " " Preet picks 1169 / 7.5 = roughly 156 pieces
    per hour.
    In orders per hour Warren picks 47 / 7 = roughly 7 orders per hour.
    " " Preet picks 24 / 7.5 = roughly 3 orders per
    hour.

    So Preet is more efficient in terms of pieces per hour.
    But Warren is more efficient in terms of orders per hour.

    Efficient in this kind of question generally means lowest cost/time per
    task.

    But there isn't enough information in the question to give a more specific
    answer.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 22, 2004

  3. There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go to to
    put their orders together. The more locations the more work they have to
    do.

    Cheers,

    Coupon

    Make Yourself, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Make Yourself

    Boomer Guest

    "Make Yourself" <> wrote in

    > There is more information in the question though. The total
    > number of locations on their orders tells you how many locations
    > they had to go to to put their orders together. The more
    > locations the more work they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Then you figure out the rest. It's your homework, isn't it?

    Boomer, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Make Yourself

    trout Guest

    Make Yourself wrote:

    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Maybe. But there's still not enough information to make it a useful
    factor in determining efficiency. Perhaps the greater number of 'pieces
    picked' are from neatly-arranged, consecutive locations in close
    proximity (let's say aisles A, B, C, and D); while the smaller number
    gathered from widely-spaced locations (aisles B, Q, L and Z; as well as
    the old shed, out back). Hard to make this a factor in a formula.
    This type of actual, linear movement is even more important in
    deciding if *orders* picked per hour is even a factor. Are the orders
    being picked consecutively (making a 'round trip' for each) or
    concurrently? We don't know. Is Warren running back and forth with a
    hand-cart, filling orders for large appliances, or driving around with a
    giant forklift, filling many orders at once for novelty key-chains?
    I don't see anything in the information to determine actual
    efficiency other than pieces picked per hour; so I'd fire Warren's lazy
    ass, and give Preet the rest of the day off; if this was all I had to go
    by.

    trout, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Make Yourself

    Patrick Guest

    Make Yourself wrote:
    > Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
    > warehouse.
    >
    > Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
    >
    > Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
    >
    > Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
    >
    > Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Dear 'Make Yourself' (Coupon), please do it yourself !
    You have a darn cheek, asking others to do your job and get some poor
    employee the sack.
    Why do you not sack yourself (your the failure, not any employee).

    Patrick, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Unfortunately my crystal broke last week.

    Your question makes sense -- but you clearly have more
    information / understanding about the context tha we do, and
    you've not told us that extra information.

    Can't help you. Even if I could, why would I? The way I see it,
    either:

    (a) You're attempting this unanswerable question for homework. In which
    case, no educator is gonna care if you can't answer an "impossible"
    question.
    (b) You're doing this for an employer. In which case, why on earth
    are you in a position where you need to make business decisions
    if you find yourself asking others for input on ones like this?
    (c) You are doing this for fun. In which case -- not many people here can
    really can relate to that. And we will simply move on to the next
    poster.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    A. Did they have to go to Florida to Kenya to get the packaging materials
    for each delivery? Or just to the end of the hall? Or table...

    B. Were they experts at solving the "travelling salesman problem", or just
    juniors?

    C. Did the fork lift trucks travel (a) at the speed of light (b) at a fixed,
    finite, low, "safe" speed?

    D. Did you say metric "tea break length units" or imperial?

    E. Rate their average boss experience from ogre to straight down the line
    over (1 month), (3 months), (1 year), (2 years)?

    F. What were they both paid per hour, in grams of gold equivalent?

    Put all the numbers except A in a large mixing bowl. Add calculus and
    season to taste with set theory and factorials. Beat A in jug, add some
    water and fold into the main mixture. Pour the answer out into a
    rectangular decimal container.

    "Now chuck all these numbers away, and fire the one you don't like."

    Simple. I could be a boss!

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > A, B, C, D, E, F

    Altho' silly, these questions allude to some of the kinds of things
    which I think you might want to consider when answering this kind
    of question -- there is a lot of info missing in the question.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  10. On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:03:01 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

    >A. Did they have to go to Florida to Kenya to get the packaging materials
    >for each delivery? Or just to the end of the hall? Or table...

    Well, to be honest.... One guy's materials for the order where
    stocked in the stockroom that's located around the corner from the
    corporate bathroom, upstairs to the attic that's been needing a light
    bulb for the last 6 months, but none of the low paid maintenence men
    are brave enough to fight the Rats in the dark and the company
    flashlights don't work because the bulbs are burned out and the
    company doesn't see any need for new bulbs.... The other guy has to
    pull the items off the shelf behind him....

    >B. Were they experts at solving the "travelling salesman problem", or just
    >juniors?

    Sons of Juniors.

    >C. Did the fork lift trucks travel (a) at the speed of light (b) at a fixed,
    >finite, low, "safe" speed?

    You get fork lifts???? What, you expect the company to pay for fuel
    for these fork lifts???? If light bulbs are too expensive, I hardly
    see where a fork lift is in the budget! Besides, if you wrap an ace
    bandage around your waiste, it'll work just as good as a back brace,
    and you can then safely lift the 800lb boxes without any problem and
    haul them from the attic on the 18th floor, down to the warehouse on
    the first floor.

    >D. Did you say metric "tea break length units" or imperial?

    Actually, the company switched over to the dumb-**** measuring
    system. You remember.... The one where we wait for the first dumbass
    to drop an 800lb box on their foot, they go to the hospital, have
    their toe removed, then from that point on we measure things by the
    number of dumb-fucks, which is equal to the width that that asshole's
    toe that got removed. His toe is hanging next to the front door of
    the warehouse for anyone needing to measure, just remember to return
    his toe back when you get through, or else some other asshole will
    have to have his toe cut-off for the benifiet of the company, and you
    never know..... Might be you.....

    >E. Rate their average boss experience from ogre to straight down the line
    >over (1 month), (3 months), (1 year), (2 years)?

    We would, but honest, there doesn't exist any word on the planet for
    someone as stupid as your boss.... That's why we don't evaluate him...
    It's strictly to much damn work to create another word and submit it
    to webster....

    >F. What were they both paid per hour, in grams of gold equivalent?

    The one with the piss-poor results was paid in 1/1000 of a gram
    of pixie dust, while the one with the super great results was paid 400
    kilo's of crack and 200 kilos of PCP.

    >"Now chuck all these numbers away, and fire the one you don't like."

    O.k., hit the road, your fired... But your wife stays.... I kept you
    on as long as she continued to come visit me, but hey, since you don't
    mind, she can continue to visit me after I fire you...

    >Simple. I could be a boss!

    When you go pick up your final paycheck that's located underneath the
    corporate toilet.... Would you mind telling Honest Abe to get the hell
    off the toilet.... I mean 8 hours is entirely too long to stay on the
    toilet..... Let the seat cool off for the rest of the CEO's.... I'd
    tell him myself, but I kinda value my job.... Since you have no job,
    seems only fair that you get to tell hiim to move his ass.....

    John H. Guillory, Jan 24, 2004
  11. Actually, one of the guys has an attitude like yours and the other doesn't.
    When you've been given a problem like 'what is the sum of 2+2' or 'what's
    the shortest distance from point a to point b?' the correct answer is the
    best one possible based on the given information. It's not correct to
    say... "'what is the sum of 2+2' is not enough information because I'm only
    going on hearsay" or "'what's the shortest distance from point a to point b'
    is not enough information because I haven't seen a report from someone I
    trust that proves point a and point b actually exist and if they do will any
    human rights concerns be raised by going the absolute shortest way whereby
    someone may actually die and therefore not be able to finish the shortest
    path' well, that's not the correct answer either.

    The better employee is the one without the attitude. The other employees
    laugh and make jokes about the guy with the attitude all the time because he
    spends so much time avoiding the practical things and using as many excuses
    as he can for why he can't work faster. Not to forget his poor hygiene.

    Cheers,

    Coupon

    Make Yourself, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > Actually, one of the guys has an attitude like yours and the other
    > doesn't. When you've been given a problem like 'what is the sum of
    > 2+2' or 'what's the shortest distance from point a to point b?' the
    > correct answer is the best one possible based on the given
    > information.

    Yes and no. Are you saying you never ask for more information if
    the information given is not enough for a useful answer?

    > It's not correct to say... "'what is the sum of 2+2' is
    > not enough information because I'm only going on hearsay" or "'what's
    > the shortest distance from point a to point b' is not enough
    > information because I haven't seen a report from someone I trust that
    > proves point a and point b actually exist and if they do will any
    > human rights concerns be raised by going the absolute shortest way
    > whereby someone may actually die and therefore not be able to finish
    > the shortest path' well, that's not the correct answer either.

    Death is not unfortunately eliminated by the use of Math.

    > The better employee is the one without the attitude. The other
    > employees laugh and make jokes about the guy with the attitude all
    > the time because he spends so much time avoiding the practical things
    > and using as many excuses as he can for why he can't work faster.
    > Not to forget his poor hygiene.

    "Smell 'em out!" Then. :)

    wisefool, Jan 24, 2004
  13. Make Yourself

    trout Guest

    Make Yourself wrote:

    > Actually, one of the guys has an attitude like yours and the other
    > doesn't. When you've been given a problem like 'what is the sum of
    > 2+2' or 'what's the shortest distance from point a to point b?' the
    > correct answer is the best one possible based on the given
    > information. It's not correct to say... "'what is the sum of 2+2' is
    > not enough information because I'm only going on hearsay" or "'what's
    > the shortest distance from point a to point b' is not enough
    > information because I haven't seen a report from someone I trust that
    > proves point a and point b actually exist and if they do will any
    > human rights concerns be raised by going the absolute shortest way
    > whereby someone may actually die and therefore not be able to finish
    > the shortest path' well, that's not the correct answer either.
    > The better employee is the one without the attitude. The other
    > employees laugh and make jokes about the guy with the attitude all
    > the time because he spends so much time avoiding the practical things
    > and using as many excuses as he can for why he can't work faster.
    > Not to forget his poor hygiene.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Your analogy is goofy. Obviously; there is plenty of information in
    'What's 2+2' to give a reasonably certain, unqualified answer. There are
    no real variables. Likewise, with a line between two points.
    Your question was more like 'what's 2 plus a number lesser than five
    multiplied by itself, and divided by four'.
    The cheerful go-getter *may* come up with the 'right' answer, which
    might be okay if you're not mixing explosives; but he'd be more apt to
    merrily barge ahead with mistakes. This is not everyone's notion of a
    "better employee".
    But it sounds like you were just looking for a rationalization for
    your personal dislike of someone, anyway.
    --
    "Talk about 'attitude'."

    trout, Jan 24, 2004
  14. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    It _was_ unclear *before* you said this what you meant by locations. I
    can imagine how it might be perfectly clear to you. But I haven't worked
    in your particular warehouse. Sigh.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 25, 2004
  15. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:31:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

    >It _was_ unclear *before* you said this what you meant by locations. I
    >can imagine how it might be perfectly clear to you. But I haven't worked
    >in your particular warehouse. Sigh.

    That's o.k. it doesn't stop anyone in this group from putting someone
    down when they haven't got any idea about a persons job.

    John H. Guillory, Jan 25, 2004
  16. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    John H. Guillory said:
    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:31:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It _was_ unclear *before* you said this what you meant by locations.
    >> I can imagine how it might be perfectly clear to you. But I haven't
    >> worked in your particular warehouse. Sigh.

    > That's o.k. it doesn't stop anyone in this group from putting someone
    > down when they haven't got any idea about a persons job.

    I noticed.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 25, 2004