    The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says there
    should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of 512M, does this
    indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the sticks?

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 18, 2010

  2. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    On 18/01/2010 6:51 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why it runs
    > so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and 496M of RAM.
    >
    > How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and can't
    > remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now.
    >
    > The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says there
    > should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of 512M, does this
    > indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the sticks?

    Far more likely that it has on board GFX and the video memory is set to
    16Mb in the BIOS

    JD

    JD, Jan 18, 2010

  3. "JD" <> wrote in message
    > On 18/01/2010 6:51 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why it
    >> runs
    >> so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and 496M of
    >> RAM.
    >>
    >> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and can't
    >> remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now.
    >>
    >> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
    >> there
    >> should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of 512M, does
    >> this
    >> indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the sticks?
    >>

    > Far more likely that it has on board GFX and the video memory is set to
    > 16Mb in the BIOS

    I'm looking at the System Properties, General Tab. I can't come up with any
    configuration that includes two sticks of RAM and arrives at 496M of
    reported memory.

    UPDATE
    I pulled the sticks, and they are 256M. So, I ought to have 512M of reported
    RAM. How can I have 496M?

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 18, 2010
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
    > it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and
    > 496M of RAM.
    >
    > How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
    > can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
    > right now.
    >
    > The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
    > there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of
    > 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
    > sticks?

    Jeff ! How about video memory !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jan 18, 2010
  5. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
    >> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and
    >> 496M of RAM.
    >>
    >> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
    >> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
    >> right now.
    >>
    >> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
    >> there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of
    >> 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
    >> sticks?

    > Jeff ! How about video memory !

    I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
    General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is reported.

    Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported in
    the total memory installed?

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 18, 2010
  6. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    On 18/01/2010 7:26 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "Baron"<> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
    >>> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and
    >>> 496M of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
    >>> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
    >>> right now.
    >>>
    >>> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
    >>> there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of
    >>> 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
    >>> sticks?

    >> Jeff ! How about video memory !
    >>

    > I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
    > General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is reported.
    >
    > Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported in
    > the total memory installed?

    Yes that's what I said in the first post (well at least implied),
    onboard GFX uses the General System ram you can usually set it to a
    lower or higher number, you do that in the BIOS settings.

    JD

    JD, Jan 18, 2010
  7. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
    >>> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz,
    >>> and 496M of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
    >>> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
    >>> right now.
    >>>
    >>> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic
    >>> says there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short
    >>> of 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
    >>> sticks?

    >> Jeff ! How about video memory !
    >>

    > I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
    > General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is
    > reported.
    >
    > Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported
    > in the total memory installed?

    Yes that is exactly what is being said ! Look in the bios settings and
    you might find that you can control the amount of ram given over to the
    video card. For instance one of my machines is set to give 128Mb max
    for video.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jan 18, 2010
  8. Jeff Strickland

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:51:34 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why it runs
    >so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and 496M of RAM.
    >
    >How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and can't
    >remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now.
    >
    >The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says there
    >should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of 512M, does this
    >indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the sticks?

    Get hold of Belarc Advisor FREE from:-

    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    It should tell you what RAM you have (among a lot of other things).

    --
    ----------------
    Stubbo of Oz

    Stubbo of Oz, Jan 18, 2010
  9. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking at my brother-in-law's computer trying to figure out why
    >>> it runs so slowly. It has a Celeron processor running at 2.66Ghz, and
    >>> 496M of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> How does one arrive at 496M? I'm running defrag on it right now and
    >>> can't remove the RAM modules, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern
    >>> right now.
    >>>
    >>> The machine has two RAM slots, and they are both filled. My logic says
    >>> there should be 512M (a pair of 256 sticks). 496M is 16M short of
    >>> 512M, does this indicate that a chip isn't working on one of the
    >>> sticks?

    >> Jeff ! How about video memory !
    >>

    > I'm just looking at the RAM that's reported on the System Properties,
    > General Tab. I have two 256M modules installed, but only 496M is reported.
    >
    > Are you saying that video can grab 16M and keep it from being reported in
    > the total memory installed?

    Thanks you guys. I'm a little slow on the uptick sometimes. The machine
    specs state 16M of shared video RAM, or something to that effect. Adding to
    my confusion is that I added a pair of 512M modules and the report remained
    at 496M of RAM.

    I decided that I must have a bad module so I installed them separately. One
    was completely dead, the machine would not boot. The 256M modules both
    booted and the memory report from the POST always reported the size of the
    installed RAM -- the size of the modules.

    Anyhow, the System Properties + Shared Video = the modules installed.

    Fry's Electronics has 1 GB, PC2700, DDR-333 modules for $25 after rebate.
    Tough deal to pass up ...

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 18, 2010
  10. "Kyle" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:08:53 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks you guys. I'm a little slow on the uptick sometimes. The machine
    >>specs state 16M of shared video RAM, or something to that effect. Adding
    >>my confusion is that I added a pair of 512M modules and the report
    >>remained
    >>at 496M of RAM.
    >>
    >>I decided that I must have a bad module so I installed them separately.
    >>One
    >>was completely dead, the machine would not boot. The 256M modules both
    >>booted and the memory report from the POST always reported the size of the
    >>installed RAM -- the size of the modules.
    >>
    >>Anyhow, the System Properties + Shared Video = the modules installed.
    >>
    >>Fry's Electronics has 1 GB, PC2700, DDR-333 modules for $25 after rebate.
    >>Tough deal to pass up ...

    > Anyway, it's a very old PC... maybe it's time to update anything or
    > buy a new one?
    >
    > What do you use it for? maybe just word processing, I think.
    >
    > Really, you need to update it.

    Word processing, and Skype to Europe. I upped the RAM to 2G, minus the 16M
    that the video steals.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 30, 2010