    icon referal after another, just jumping all over the place and then
    I forget what the point was.

    Thanks
    jkissing, May 10, 2004

  2. jkissing

    adm Guest

    "jkissing" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have been used to a manual SRL and have a understanding of photoshop
    > and digital images. But for the life of me I can't or I should say
    > have difficulty getting the hang the basics of this new camera. Are
    > there some decent tutorials somewhere? I find the manual reading one
    > icon referal after another, just jumping all over the place and then
    > I forget what the point was.

    Best advice I can give you is to go out and take pictures with it. Stay away
    from the pre-set modes and play around mainly with "A", "S" and "M" modes. A
    useful thing to do is to set it up on a tripod and take multiple different
    shots using different settings so you can see the differences on-screen.

    I found it became second nature pretty quickly after I figured out how the
    main and sub command dials worked for the different settings, and how to
    dial-in exposure compensation.

    The other thing that is usefull is to play around with the histogram and
    highlights displays - I was getting blown out highlights in a few shots
    until I figured out how to use these tools. Of course, the best thing is
    that with this feedback you can just recompose and take the shot again -
    this time perfectly.

    and of course - the most important piece of advice - have fun while you do
    it !
    adm, May 10, 2004

  3. jkissing

    gsum Guest

    Using the D70 is no more difficult than using a film SLR.
    I have the D100 but I think the controls are very similar. Also, I'm
    assuming you have a Nikon autofocus lens attached.
    Here's Graham's 2 min. startup guide (no manual requred).

    1. With the camera turned on, turn the lh top-plate dial to QUAL.
    Use a thumbwheel on the rh side to set highest res. jpg. (This only
    needs to be done once). The quality setting is displayed on the
    LCD display on the top of the camera. Other quality settings
    should be explored when you're familiar with jpg.

    2. Turn the lh top-plate dial to MAN.

    3. Slightly depress the shutter control. The over/under exposure
    bar will show in the viewfinder, together with aperture/ speed setting.
    Use the thumbwheels to select appropriate speed/aperture settings
    and shoot.

    4. Upload your images to PC and marvel at the amazing quality.

    Shooting in program mode is even easier. The thumbwheels can be
    used to select programs for action or landscape, or anything in
    between.

    Use the manual to explore the more complex aspects to the camera
    when you're familiar with the basics.

    Happy shooting.

    Graham

    gsum, May 10, 2004
  4. gsum <> schrieb:

    > 1. With the camera turned on, turn the lh top-plate dial to QUAL.
    > Use a thumbwheel on the rh side to set highest res. jpg. (This only
    > needs to be done once). The quality setting is displayed on the
    > LCD display on the top of the camera. Other quality settings
    > should be explored when you're familiar with jpg.

    This works differently on the D70. He has to make sure that the LCD is
    off, then hold down the QUAL button and turn the wheel.
    However, from my own test the normal jpeg setting looks fine for most
    uses.

    > 2. Turn the lh top-plate dial to MAN.
    >
    > 3. Slightly depress the shutter control. The over/under exposure
    > bar will show in the viewfinder, together with aperture/ speed setting.
    > Use the thumbwheels to select appropriate speed/aperture settings
    > and shoot.

    If he uses the camera's exposure meter anyway, then he could just as
    well switch to program mode and shift the program wherever he wants.

    Walter
    Walter Hofmann, May 10, 2004
  5. We just got a D70 on Thursday, and are going through the same thing. I
    think it is easier coming from an F5 than an all-mechanical SLR,
    because many of the controls are similar.

    What I did on Friday was take it out sailing with the 80-400 VR ED
    lens mounted and started off in Auto point-&-shoot mode. Just getting
    used to handling it.

    Then I turned the mode wheel to A (aperture priority) because that is
    the way I use the F5 90% of the time. It then became possible to
    manually set the focus location as with the F5. In auto the focus
    would go by itself to the closest thing, which was disconcerting, and
    often not what I wanted.

    My wife did the same on Sunday.

    We had to use the book first to learn how to transfer pix to the
    computer. At the same time we used another menu option to make a JPEG
    and a Raw with each picture. We thus learned to use the menues.

    I will study the book more to get an idea of capabilities. Then as I
    want one I ill look to see haw to set it up.

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 05:47:23 GMT, (jkissing) wrote:

    >I have been used to a manual SRL and have a understanding of photoshop
    >and digital images. But for the life of me I can't or I should say
    >have difficulty getting the hang the basics of this new camera. Are
    >there some decent tutorials somewhere? I find the manual reading one
    >icon referal after another, just jumping all over the place and then
    >I forget what the point was.
    >
    >Thanks

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
    Rodney Myrvaagnes, May 10, 2004
  6. jkissing

    EliotN Guest

    How well/fast or slow di the 80-400 focus on the D70?

    << What I did on Friday was take it out sailing with the 80-400 VR ED >>
    EliotN, May 11, 2004
  7. On 11 May 2004 03:13:20 GMT, (EliotN) wrote:

    >How well/fast or slow di the 80-400 focus on the D70?
    >
    ><< What I did on Friday was take it out sailing with the 80-400 VR ED >>

    Just taking single snapshots, it didn't bother me. I haven't done
    something like tracking fast action.

    I was concerned about that, since I sort of thought a lot of the
    weight in the F5 was a big focus motor. I have no other autofocus
    experience except the F5 body.

    There is no question the 80-400 AF is geared way down, I suppose to
    avoid overloading smaller focus motors.

    This is very preliminary. I haven't used other AF lenses on the D70
    yet. I am sure the others are much faster, and after using them for a
    while the big one may bother me.

    I am most concerned with learnig to use the camera with that big lens,
    which is the lens of choice on the boat nearly always.

    Another use for the camera will be cataloguing our old tool
    collection, using a 105 MicroNikkor.. That will be simplicity itself
    compared to hand holding 400mm, even with VR.

    Caveat: Two days experiment is not enough to offer much useful
    information. Be aware that this is my only digicam experience.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, May 11, 2004