Master Socket Wiring

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Matthew, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Hi,

    All the extension sockets in our house, are wired via the master socket
    in the office.

    There are 3 wires - green, red and black connected to the connectore
    strip on the back of the removable (lower half) of the master socket
    front plate.

    Last time the engineers cam out they said that if there was ever any
    problems with the line, pull these 3 wires out and it will allow me to
    see of the fault is with the extensions.

    I'd like to be able to connect my asterisk server to these extensions,
    and not have them ring at all when the bt line is called.

    What I planned to do was connect a standard phone cable with a moulded
    plug joined to thegreen red and black cables, and connect this to the
    ATA and this asterisk.

    As I test, I connected the lead (matching red to red etc etc and then
    put the front back on the master socket. I then connected the plug
    into the socket on the front of the master socket - but there was no
    dialtone at any on the extension sockets.

    Can anyone point out the error of my ways and let me know what I'm
    doing wrong?

    Many thanks

    Matthew

    Matthew, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Matthew

    Dave Guest

    Sounds like whoever has wired the extentions up has used burglar alarm cable
    for a start ...

    Dave, Aug 20, 2005

  3. On 20 Aug 2005 12:29:20 -0700, "Matthew" <>
    wrote:

    >Last time the engineers cam out they said that if there was ever any
    >problems with the line, pull these 3 wires out and it will allow me to
    >see of the fault is with the extensions.

    by taking the lower half off the master socket you automatically
    disconnect the extensions, no need to fiddle with the wires.

    It may have escaped your notice, but the detachable lower half has a
    plug moulded into it that mates with the socket on the backplate, see
    http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

    try plugging that into your ATA output, assuming you got the wiring to
    work again.

    http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
    may also be helpful, as the colours you describe are non-standard so
    matching them up was an act of hope.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 20, 2005
  4. Matthew

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    Matthew <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >

    > All the extension sockets in our house, are wired via the master
    > socket in the office.
    >
    > There are 3 wires - green, red and black connected to the connectore
    > strip on the back of the removable (lower half) of the master socket
    > front plate.
    >
    > Last time the engineers cam out they said that if there was ever any
    > problems with the line, pull these 3 wires out and it will allow me to
    > see of the fault is with the extensions.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to connect my asterisk server to these extensions,
    > and not have them ring at all when the bt line is called.
    >
    > What I planned to do was connect a standard phone cable with a moulded
    > plug joined to thegreen red and black cables, and connect this to the
    > ATA and this asterisk.
    >
    > As I test, I connected the lead (matching red to red etc etc and then
    > put the front back on the master socket. I then connected the plug
    > into the socket on the front of the master socket - but there was no
    > dialtone at any on the extension sockets.
    >
    > Can anyone point out the error of my ways and let me know what I'm
    > doing wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >

    > Matthew

    I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you've done. Please clarify.

    You have an NTE5 master socket, with some extension wiring kroned into the
    back of the removeable faceplate, yes? Before you started, the extension
    sockets all worked, and gave dial tone when you plugged phones into them,
    yes?

    You then did some sort of experiment - which I don't fully understand.

    After doing the experiment, you re-fitted the removeable faceplate to the
    NTE5, and the extension sockets no longer worked, yes?

    During the experiment, did you disturb the wiring kroned into the back of
    the faceplate? When you had finished, was anything still connected which had
    previously not been connected, or did you put everything back to its
    original state?
    --
    Cheers,
    Tim

    Tiscali Tim, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Ah looks like I haven't made it very clear.....

    Everything worked at the start.

    I then tried to isolate the extensions by disconnecting the krones, and
    connecting the three wires to a length of phone cable with a standard
    bt plug on it. ie the extensions no longer connected to the master
    socket.

    I put the faceplate back on, then connected the afore mentioned cable
    and plug into the front socket on the faceplate, but no dialtone on the
    extensions.

    I then returned everything to its original state and all worked ok.

    Matthew, Aug 20, 2005
  6. Matthew

    Mike GW8IJT Guest

    "Matthew" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > All the extension sockets in our house, are wired via the master

    socket
    > in the office.
    >
    > There are 3 wires - green, red and black connected to the connectore
    > strip on the back of the removable (lower half) of the master socket
    > front plate.
    >
    > Last time the engineers cam out they said that if there was ever any
    > problems with the line, pull these 3 wires out and it will allow me to
    > see of the fault is with the extensions.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to connect my asterisk server to these extensions,
    > and not have them ring at all when the bt line is called.
    >
    > What I planned to do was connect a standard phone cable with a moulded
    > plug joined to thegreen red and black cables, and connect this to the
    > ATA and this asterisk.
    >
    > As I test, I connected the lead (matching red to red etc etc and then
    > put the front back on the master socket. I then connected the plug
    > into the socket on the front of the master socket - but there was no
    > dialtone at any on the extension sockets.
    >
    > Can anyone point out the error of my ways and let me know what I'm
    > doing wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >

    > Matthew

    Those wire colours aren't used in proper telephone wiring.
    See http://tinyurl.com/4gu1
    The wirs should be blue with white, orange with white, white with orange
    & white with blue.
    If I were you, I would rip out that rubbish wiring and put proper stuff
    in.
    Use CW1308 that Maplin & others sell.
    Regards Mike.

    Mike GW8IJT, Aug 20, 2005
  7. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Hmm - might be a bit tricky as the extension cabling run behind the
    plaster work etc.

    Is my theory OK - I should be able to isolate those 3 wires and then
    attach a plug the end - so I in effect have 1 plug with all the house
    extensions on the other end?

    Thanks for all the replies

    Matthew

    Matthew, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Cheers for that - I'll give it a try. I had seen it was moulded plug,
    bit didn't think to plug it straight in to the ATA!

    Matthew, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Matthew

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    Matthew <> wrote:

    > Cheers for that - I'll give it a try. I had seen it was moulded
    > plug, bit didn't think to plug it straight in to the ATA!

    Or if it won't reach, you can use a phone extension cable between the
    faceplate and the ATA.

    If you want to use your original method, there's no reason why it shouldn't
    work if you wire it correctly. Forget the colours of any existing wires -
    it's *position* which matters. The krones on the back of the faceplate are
    numbered 1-6, and 2, 3 and 5 are actually used. Get a phone cable with a BT
    plug at one end and bare wires at the other end - and plug it into the
    socket on the front of the faceplate, with the faceplate removed. Use a
    continuity tester to find which wires are connected to each of 2, 3 and 5.
    Then join each of these wires to whichever wire was originally kroned into
    the appropriate connector. They almost certainly won't match colour for
    colour - but it should *work*!
    --
    Cheers,
    Tim

    Tiscali Tim, Aug 20, 2005
  10. On 20 Aug 2005 14:15:04 -0700, "Matthew" <>
    wrote:

    >Is my theory OK - I should be able to isolate those 3 wires and then
    >attach a plug the end - so I in effect have 1 plug with all the house
    >extensions on the other end?

    yes. Just wire it correctly !

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 21, 2005