    PS: running XP home, all service packs/upgrades etc

    --
    'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such

    El Duderino, May 30, 2005

  2. El Duderino wrote:

    > No, nothing to do with certain posters on here :)
    > I just put a new h/d and DVDRW in my old 'puter and have realised that I
    > have set it up with the DVD as Primary master (nothing on slave), and the
    > harddrives as secondary master & slave.
    > Does this matter? i.e Should I move the harddrives to be on the primary
    > circuit or the C drive as primary master, E drive as primary slave and D
    > drive (DVD) as secondary master? Or any other permutation??
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > PS: running XP home, all service packs/upgrades etc

    With not-too-outdated mainboards (manuf. date >1998) most probably there is
    no difference. Just be sure you use a 80wire cable for the harddrives, and
    look for udma modes when the bios summary screen appears, to be sure. You
    can try to "freeze" that screen with ctrl-break, but it will require some
    tries.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, May 30, 2005

  3. El Duderino

    GHalleck Guest

    El Duderino wrote:
    > No, nothing to do with certain posters on here :)
    > I just put a new h/d and DVDRW in my old 'puter and have realised that I
    > have set it up with the DVD as Primary master (nothing on slave), and the
    > harddrives as secondary master & slave.
    > Does this matter? i.e Should I move the harddrives to be on the primary
    > circuit or the C drive as primary master, E drive as primary slave and D
    > drive (DVD) as secondary master? Or any other permutation??
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > PS: running XP home, all service packs/upgrades etc

    It should not matter. The computer boots off the hard drive, with
    the bios looking for the boot sector on the boot partition, which
    is Drive C, regardless of where it is located. By default, Drive
    D should be the slave hard drive.

    To be safe, in the event that Drive D, the slave hard drive, was
    not properly configured as an extended hard drive, put Drive C
    as the Master on the primary controller with Drive D as the slave
    on the primary controller. The DVD drive can be Master on the
    secondary controller and it should show up as Drive E.

    GHalleck, May 30, 2005