master/slave

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Conor McLaughlin, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    Conor McLaughlin, Dec 20, 2003

  2. "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    > On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    It best to have the master at the end i think, but as far as i know it
    doesn't matter where it is
    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Dec 20, 2003

  3. Conor McLaughlin

    EricP Guest

    On 20 Dec 2003 10:33:58 -0800, (Conor
    McLaughlin) wrote:

    >On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    It usually goes on the end, the slave is the middle connector

    EricP, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Conor McLaughlin

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Conor McLaughlin

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    > On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    Quite, Bruce!

    It could "Cable Select". Thx to "Mike" - where does he get those little o's
    from? _ I managed to successfully install a new slave recently in a system
    using XpHome. Finding Initialise, Partition & Format can be fun in XpHome.
    Very straight forward when you know how, but the advice is hidden under a
    rock on Mars.

    Good luck
    Chris

    ---

    c.rowlands4, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Conor McLaughlin

    Patrick Guest

    Conor McLaughlin wrote:
    > On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    NO !

    The Master/Slave designation is usually determined by 'jumpers' on the
    Drive,
    and;
    On a standard IDE cable, all plugs are the same, the end ones though are
    usually used for the MoBo and the Master.
    http://www.hcsdirect.com/products/accessories/cables/3conide.jpg

    On an 80wire IDE cable thiere is (I believe) a specific designation for each
    plug (specificaly for the Mobo anyway).

    On a CableSelect (CS) IDE-cable thiere is particular plug for the MoBo,
    other two plugs determine wether Drive attached will be Master or Slave.

    Patrick, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Conor McLaughlin

    trout Guest

    c.rowlands4 wrote:

    > "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    > Quite, Bruce!
    >
    > It could "Cable Select". Thx to "Mike" - where does he get those
    > little o's from?

    <snip>

    Consult your Charmap. Should be alt + 0176.
    --
    "Although I'm not sure if that depends on your font."

    trout, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Conor McLaughlin

    Brian H¹© Guest

    trout said:

    > c.rowlands4 wrote:
    >
    >> "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    >>> On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    >> Quite, Bruce!
    >>
    >> It could "Cable Select". Thx to "Mike" - where does he get those
    >> little o's from?

    > <snip>
    >
    > Consult your Charmap. Should be alt + 0176.

    The local priests font only contains holy eau's

    Brian H¹©, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Conor McLaughlin

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > trout said:
    >
    >> c.rowlands4 wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Quite, Bruce!
    >>>
    >>> It could "Cable Select". Thx to "Mike" - where does he get those
    >>> little o's from?

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Consult your Charmap. Should be alt + 0176.

    > The local priests font only contains holy eau's

    In the morning, my font only contains "Cherio's".
    --
    "O when will it end?"

    trout, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Howdy!

    > On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    It depends.

    If it's an ATA-66+ Cable Select cable, it's on the end if you use
    cable select. If you use master/slave jumpering, it doesn't matter.

    If it's a first generation cable select ATA-33- cable, yah, the
    first ones put the master in the middle (which is stupid, IMO ... )

    Again, if you jumper master/slave, it doesn't matter, but you DO
    need to make sure the drive at the end of the cable is there ...

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Conor McLaughlin

    DH Guest

    The master should always be on the END of the cable. And the drive should be
    jumpered as MASTER, not cable select.

    DH, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Conor McLaughlin

    Senti Guest

    "DH" <> wrote in message
    > The master should always be on the END of the cable. And the drive should

    be
    > jumpered as MASTER, not cable select.

    Why and why not?

    Senti, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Conor McLaughlin

    Billh Guest

    I am sorry but master and slave are no longer allowed to be used as terms
    when talking about computers. At least if you are a politically correct
    liberal nimrod.

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/

    Billh, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Conor McLaughlin

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Brian H¹© typed:
    > trout said:
    >
    > > c.rowlands4 wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Quite, Bruce!
    > > >
    > > > It could "Cable Select". Thx to "Mike" - where does he get those
    > > > little o's from?

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Consult your Charmap. Should be alt + 0176.

    > The local priests font only contains holy eau's

    O, o, oh, owe, º, ô, ó that is sooooooooo funny! ;-)

    Juan Pérez, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Conor McLaughlin

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    Billh wrote:
    :: I am sorry but master and slave are no longer allowed to be used as
    :: terms when talking about computers. At least if you are a
    :: politically correct liberal nimrod.
    ::
    :: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/
    ::
    ::
    :: "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message
    :: news:...
    ::: On an IDE cable, the master is the middle one isn't it?

    I wondered how long it would take for someone to comment upon this unPC PC
    terminology!

    ---

    c.rowlands4, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Conor McLaughlin

    trout Guest

    c.rowlands4 wrote:

    > Billh wrote:
    >>> I am sorry but master and slave are no longer allowed to be used as
    >>> terms when talking about computers. At least if you are a
    >>> politically correct liberal nimrod.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/
    >>>

    >>> "Conor McLaughlin" <> wrote in message

    > I wondered how long it would take for someone to comment upon this
    > unPC PC terminology!

    I'm surprised there isn't more of a ruckus about connectors being
    referred-to as 'male' and 'female'. I figured the left and right would
    get together on this; decrying the terminology as, respectively,
    'sexist' or 'smutty'.
    --
    "Maybe 'tops' and 'bottoms'."

    trout, Dec 22, 2003
  17. Conor McLaughlin

    Senti Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > c.rowlands4 wrote:

    > > I wondered how long it would take for someone to comment upon this
    > > unPC PC terminology!

    > I'm surprised there isn't more of a ruckus about connectors being
    > referred-to as 'male' and 'female'. I figured the left and right would
    > get together on this; decrying the terminology as, respectively,
    > 'sexist' or 'smutty'.
    > --
    > "Maybe 'tops' and 'bottoms'."

    How about 'innies' and 'outties'?

    Senti, Dec 22, 2003
  18. Conor McLaughlin

    M Mullen Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:19:29 -0800, "trout" <> wrote:

    |> c.rowlands4 wrote:

    |> > I wondered how long it would take for someone to comment upon this
    |> > unPC PC terminology!
    |>
    |> I'm surprised there isn't more of a ruckus about connectors being
    |> referred-to as 'male' and 'female'. I figured the left and right would
    |> get together on this; decrying the terminology as, respectively,
    |> 'sexist' or 'smutty'.

    I've been waiting for these people to visit a hardware store where 2 inch
    nipples are sold. Couplers, extenders, adapters, and the large bastard one needs
    to smooth the edges.

    http://tinyurl.com/3a5c2

    --
    ,,