    Western Digital drive boots up just fine when set by itself. All I want
    is to transfer some files off the Seagate and then use it for storage.
    This has got to be something stupid I'm not doing.
    JTJersey, Feb 12, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    Sean V. Guest

    Make sure that the Western Digital is on the Master position of the IDE
    cable (the end connector), and that the Seagate drive is on the Slave
    position of the IDE cable ("middle" connector).

    Set the WD drive as Master (using the jumpers on the drive), and the Seagate
    to Slave. Try to avoid Cable Select for this task. I have found that this
    configuration works with the most consistency.

    If this does not work, there are more extreme measures that may work.

    Sean V.

    Sean V., Feb 13, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    check the BIOS and see if you can set the boot device priority manually, or
    remove the seagate in the boot order. Also, if you remove the seagate from
    the primary channel, make sure the western digital is set for
    "master/single" instead of master with slave present. Western Ds are
    particular in this.

    Thor, Feb 13, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    HF Guest

    If you took the trouble to go to the Western Digital website you could
    download for free the instal software for the drive. This would do all that
    you want and it is very intuitive.There is also an extensive faq.You could
    also have a boot manager and then you could choose which drive to boot.Above
    all Windows does not like two 9x OS on the same PC - that is why you need a
    boot manager which 'hides' one drive.
    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > I've replaced a Seagate drive with a Western Digital. Both drives have
    > Windows 98SE installed on them. I want to boot from the Western Digital.
    > Jumpers are set for Master/Slave configuration according to the
    > manufacturers specs, but the Seagate drive insists on being the boot
    > drive. I even took it off the ribbon cable and hooked it up separately to
    > the secondary IDE and it still wants to boot from that Seagate. The
    > Western Digital drive boots up just fine when set by itself. All I want
    > is to transfer some files off the Seagate and then use it for storage.
    > This has got to be something stupid I'm not doing.

    ---
    HF, Feb 13, 2004
  5. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:49:56 -0000, "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote:

    >.Above
    >all Windows does not like two 9x OS on the same PC - that is why you need a
    >boot manager which 'hides' one drive.

    Pure rubbish!!

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  6. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:02:13 GMT, "Sean V." <>
    wrote:

    >Make sure that the Western Digital is on the Master position of the IDE
    >cable (the end connector), and that the Seagate drive is on the Slave
    >position of the IDE cable ("middle" connector).

    This is good advice ONLY if you have the jumpers set to 'cable
    select'...and you use a cable select cable.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  7. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:37:31 -0500, JTJersey
    <> wrote:

    >I've replaced a Seagate drive with a Western Digital. Both drives have
    >Windows 98SE installed on them. I want to boot from the Western Digital.
    >Jumpers are set for Master/Slave configuration according to the
    >manufacturers specs, but the Seagate drive insists on being the boot
    >drive.

    Many of the old Seagate drives (any many other mfgs.) are hard wired
    to be the master. You can't change this setting. This may be the
    situation in your case.

    >I even took it off the ribbon cable and hooked it up separately to
    >the secondary IDE and it still wants to boot from that Seagate.

    Now THAT'S unusual! lol When you have the WD on the primary
    controller? Interesting.

    >The
    >Western Digital drive boots up just fine when set by itself. All I want
    >is to transfer some files off the Seagate and then use it for storage.

    Then connect both drives...and boot to a system floppy or CD...with
    xxcopy, xcopy, or some similar file transfer program on there. Then
    transfer what you need.

    Or simply boot to the Seagate...and transfer the files to the WD.

    Or...create a separate partition on the WD. Boot into a cloning
    program...clone the Seagate partition to the new partition on the WD.
    Then use just the WD...and move whatever files you want to the good WD
    partition. When done, delete the added partition.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  8. JTJersey

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > check the BIOS and see if you can set the boot device priority manually, or
    > remove the seagate in the boot order. Also, if you remove the seagate from
    > the primary channel, make sure the western digital is set for
    > "master/single" instead of master with slave present. Western Ds are
    > particular in this.
    >
    > ..
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > > I've replaced a Seagate drive with a Western Digital. Both drives have
    > > Windows 98SE installed on them. I want to boot from the Western Digital.
    > > Jumpers are set for Master/Slave configuration according to the
    > > manufacturers specs, but the Seagate drive insists on being the boot
    > > drive. I even took it off the ribbon cable and hooked it up separately to
    > > the secondary IDE and it still wants to boot from that Seagate. The
    > > Western Digital drive boots up just fine when set by itself. All I want
    > > is to transfer some files off the Seagate and then use it for storage.
    > > This has got to be something stupid I'm not doing.

    *THAT* is the major reason why i dislike WD drives; that complexity of
    drive jumpering is inexcusable.
    Robert Baer, Feb 14, 2004
  9. JTJersey

    Robert Baer Guest

    HF wrote:

    > If you took the trouble to go to the Western Digital website you could
    > download for free the instal software for the drive. This would do all that
    > you want and it is very intuitive.There is also an extensive faq.You could
    > also have a boot manager and then you could choose which drive to boot.Above
    > all Windows does not like two 9x OS on the same PC - that is why you need a
    > boot manager which 'hides' one drive.
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > > I've replaced a Seagate drive with a Western Digital. Both drives have
    > > Windows 98SE installed on them. I want to boot from the Western Digital.
    > > Jumpers are set for Master/Slave configuration according to the
    > > manufacturers specs, but the Seagate drive insists on being the boot
    > > drive. I even took it off the ribbon cable and hooked it up separately to
    > > the secondary IDE and it still wants to boot from that Seagate. The
    > > Western Digital drive boots up just fine when set by itself. All I want
    > > is to transfer some files off the Seagate and then use it for storage.
    > > This has got to be something stupid I'm not doing.
    > >

    > ---

    ***First: do NOT use any g*dmn boot managers! The net result is a hard
    drive that makes data recovery almost impossible.
    Second: The statement about 2 Windows OSes is incorrect; ther are
    "tricks" to create such configurations as well as managing (booting)
    them that do not require "hiding".
    Robert Baer, Feb 14, 2004
  10. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:48:54 GMT, Robert Baer
    <> wrote:

    > *THAT* is the major reason why i dislike WD drives; that complexity of
    >drive jumpering is inexcusable.

    THAT'S why they put a schematic on the face of the drive! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004