    Firefox?

    Thank you in advance.
    Reg M
    Reg M, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Reg M wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My apologies if this has been asked a thousand and one times before
    > but am in a bit of a haste at the moment so please excuse being asked
    > once more.
    >
    > I created a Master Password in Firefox 1.5.0.6 and I have possibly
    > recorded it incorrectly because it is not being recognised.
    >
    > Is there a way around this, other than uninstalling and reinstalling
    > Firefox?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > Reg M

    Don't uninstall/reinstall, it won;t fix the problem. Your passwords are
    stored in your profile, and a fresh install will just pick up the old
    profile. You need to reset your Master Password.

    Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords

    Click Remove Master Password.

    Note, however, that when you do this you will lose all your stored
    passwords, and will have to reenter them.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Reg M

    Reg M Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:41:55 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Reg M wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> My apologies if this has been asked a thousand and one times before
    >> but am in a bit of a haste at the moment so please excuse being asked
    >> once more.
    >>
    >> I created a Master Password in Firefox 1.5.0.6 and I have possibly
    >> recorded it incorrectly because it is not being recognised.
    >>
    >> Is there a way around this, other than uninstalling and reinstalling
    >> Firefox?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.
    >> Reg M

    >Don't uninstall/reinstall, it won;t fix the problem. Your passwords are
    >stored in your profile, and a fresh install will just pick up the old
    >profile. You need to reset your Master Password.
    >
    >Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords
    >
    >Click Remove Master Password.
    >
    >Note, however, that when you do this you will lose all your stored
    >passwords, and will have to reenter them.
    >
    >Lee

    Thank you for the response Lee but the problem remains because when I
    select 'Remove Master Password' a box pops up asking me to enter the
    present version before it can remove the old. Catch 22??

    Reg
    Reg M, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Reg M

    gwtc Guest

    Reg M wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:41:55 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Reg M wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> My apologies if this has been asked a thousand and one times before
    >>> but am in a bit of a haste at the moment so please excuse being asked
    >>> once more.
    >>>
    >>> I created a Master Password in Firefox 1.5.0.6 and I have possibly
    >>> recorded it incorrectly because it is not being recognised.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way around this, other than uninstalling and reinstalling
    >>> Firefox?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance.
    >>> Reg M

    >> Don't uninstall/reinstall, it won;t fix the problem. Your passwords are
    >> stored in your profile, and a fresh install will just pick up the old
    >> profile. You need to reset your Master Password.
    >>
    >> Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords
    >>
    >> Click Remove Master Password.
    >>
    >> Note, however, that when you do this you will lose all your stored
    >> passwords, and will have to reenter them.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thank you for the response Lee but the problem remains because when I
    > select 'Remove Master Password' a box pops up asking me to enter the
    > present version before it can remove the old. Catch 22??
    >
    > Reg

    thats right, it does and its really useless when you don't know the
    answer. So, the only other way is to remove the password files and
    re-do it. There are two files you need to remove. First, close FF.
    Then using your file manager, locate your profile, and remove
    signons.txt and key3.db. Now, restart FF.

    to locate your FF profile you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    --
    Pic of the Day: http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fastdoglp2.jpg
    gwtc, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Reg M wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:41:55 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Reg M wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> My apologies if this has been asked a thousand and one times before
    >>> but am in a bit of a haste at the moment so please excuse being asked
    >>> once more.
    >>>
    >>> I created a Master Password in Firefox 1.5.0.6 and I have possibly
    >>> recorded it incorrectly because it is not being recognised.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way around this, other than uninstalling and reinstalling
    >>> Firefox?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance.
    >>> Reg M

    >> Don't uninstall/reinstall, it won;t fix the problem. Your passwords are
    >> stored in your profile, and a fresh install will just pick up the old
    >> profile. You need to reset your Master Password.
    >>
    >> Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords
    >>
    >> Click Remove Master Password.
    >>
    >> Note, however, that when you do this you will lose all your stored
    >> passwords, and will have to reenter them.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thank you for the response Lee but the problem remains because when I
    > select 'Remove Master Password' a box pops up asking me to enter the
    > present version before it can remove the old. Catch 22??
    >
    > Reg

    Enter the following in your location bar:

    chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul

    You will see a reset button. Press it to reset the Master Password.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Reg M

    Reg M Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:27:00 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Reg M wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:41:55 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Don't uninstall/reinstall, it won;t fix the problem. Your passwords are
    >>> stored in your profile, and a fresh install will just pick up the old
    >>> profile. You need to reset your Master Password.
    >>>
    >>> Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords
    >>>
    >>> Click Remove Master Password.
    >>>
    >>> Note, however, that when you do this you will lose all your stored
    >>> passwords, and will have to reenter them.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thank you for the response Lee but the problem remains because when I
    >> select 'Remove Master Password' a box pops up asking me to enter the
    >> present version before it can remove the old. Catch 22??
    >>
    >> Reg

    >Enter the following in your location bar:
    >
    >chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul
    >
    >You will see a reset button. Press it to reset the Master Password.
    >
    >Lee

    Thanks for that Lee and gwtc,
    I thought I'd try what sounded the simplest to begin with, Lee's
    solution and it worked.
    Reg M
    Reg M, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Reg M wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:27:00 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Reg M wrote:

    >>> Thank you for the response Lee but the problem remains because when I
    >>> select 'Remove Master Password' a box pops up asking me to enter the
    >>> present version before it can remove the old. Catch 22??
    >>>
    >>> Reg

    >> Enter the following in your location bar:
    >>
    >> chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul
    >>
    >> You will see a reset button. Press it to reset the Master Password.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks for that Lee and gwtc,
    > I thought I'd try what sounded the simplest to begin with, Lee's
    > solution and it worked.
    > Reg M

    gw's plan would have worked as well.

    I'm glad you've got it working!