    when i press a key it starts to load
    any help please
    windows xp

    donker, Jun 8, 2009

  2. donker

    VanguardLH Guest

    donker wrote:

    > each time i boot up i get a message
    > MASTER BOOT RECORD ERROR PRESS A KEY
    > when i press a key it starts to load
    > any help please
    > windows xp

    Boot into Recovery Console mode. Use Start -> Help and Support to
    figure out how. You may need the Windows install CD if it hasn't
    already been installed (and available as a selection when you hit F8
    during bootup to select which OS to use). You will need the
    Administrator password (blank if you never specified one). Once in
    Recovery Console mode and at the command prompt, use the 'fixmbr'
    command.

    VanguardLH, Jun 8, 2009

  3. donker

    donker Guest

    thank you for reply
    i found the problem i had my usb seagate hard drive plugged in i must be
    getting old thanks

    donker, Jun 8, 2009
  4. donker

    Cash Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > donker wrote:
    >
    >> each time i boot up i get a message
    >> MASTER BOOT RECORD ERROR PRESS A KEY
    >> when i press a key it starts to load
    >> any help please
    >> windows xp

    > Boot into Recovery Console mode. Use Start -> Help and Support to
    > figure out how. You may need the Windows install CD if it hasn't
    > already been installed (and available as a selection when you hit F8
    > during bootup to select which OS to use). You will need the
    > Administrator password (blank if you never specified one). Once in
    > Recovery Console mode and at the command prompt, use the 'fixmbr'
    > command.

    And as an extra to the above - ignore the warning message 'of doom' that
    will appear during the fixmbr procedure - and just continue.

    Cash, Jun 8, 2009
  5. donker

    Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote:

    >"VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> donker wrote:

    >>You will need the
    >> Administrator password (blank if you never specified one). Once in
    >> Recovery Console mode and at the command prompt, use the 'fixmbr'
    >> command.

    >That's for Windows XP. Is there anything similar process for Windows
    >98SE? Back when I could use AVG, the scans were reporting 'Error ---
    >mbr' and KERNEL.DLL.

    Use the Win98 Boot disk and type: FDISK /MBR

    --

    The Pirates received more votes from those under 30 than
    any other party in the European elections yesterday.

    , Jun 9, 2009
  6. donker

    chuckcar Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> donker wrote:
    >>
    >> > each time i boot up i get a message
    >> > MASTER BOOT RECORD ERROR PRESS A KEY
    >> > when i press a key it starts to load
    >> > any help please
    >> > windows xp

    >> Boot into Recovery Console mode. Use Start -> Help and Support to
    >> figure out how. You may need the Windows install CD if it hasn't
    >> already been installed (and available as a selection when you hit F8
    >> during bootup to select which OS to use). You will need the
    >> Administrator password (blank if you never specified one). Once in
    >> Recovery Console mode and at the command prompt, use the 'fixmbr'
    >> command.

    > That's for Windows XP. Is there anything similar process for Windows
    > 98SE? Back when I could use AVG, the scans were reporting 'Error ---
    > mbr' and KERNEL.DLL.

    First run sfc from start->run and have it check all files. The first time
    it comes up for a request, select "update verification for all files". Do
    *not* replace or extract any files.

    For kernel32.dll which is almost terminal (kernel.dll *if* that is the
    *exact* name - you can just extract it with sfc) you need to manually
    extract it from the cabs - a pretty involved command line. If
    Alternatively there's a second file mentioned. If that's *not* user.exe
    you can extract the other one.

    fdisk should be in c:/windows/command if not, you can use sfc to extract
    it there. The boot disk for windows 98 has it on as well.

    > The system works, but it isn't stable.

    the command line for kernel32.dll - *only* when you eliminate all
    mentioned other files being corrupted by replacing them is below:

    run in command prompt only from the startup menu

    cd c:\windows\system

    extract /a /e ..\options\cabs\base4.cab kernel32.dll

    this requires *all* the .cab files from the win98 directory on the windows
    98 cd to be copied to c:\windows\options\cabs beforehand.

    then do a scanreg/fix and acd - alt-control-delete.

    Note: this is a sign of a *severely* corrupted windows installation that
    would probably be best handled by reinstalling windows. With 95-98se, this
    happens to the point that doing a complete format and re-install as often
    as once a year is a good idea.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 11, 2009