    Is the hard disk on its way out or will a format cure it?

    I'm using a DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Hard Drive (Maxtor-6Y120P0), it's 4 months
    old.

    John, Dec 31, 2005

  2. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    John spewed forth:
    > I always see 'MBR error 2' on screen just after the Bios has done
    > it's thing and the Windows XP loading screen appears, It doesn't seem
    > to interfere with the boot process.
    >
    > Is the hard disk on its way out or will a format cure it?
    >

    > I'm using a DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Hard Drive (Maxtor-6Y120P0), it's
    > 4 months old.

    Have you tried a simple fix? Like running chkdsk.exe? Or maybe you could
    download Maxtor's hard drive diagnostics and run that to see if there's a
    problem with the drive itself? Or running fixmbr.exe
    (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm includes that tip in the
    list of available commands in Recovery Console.)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2005

  3. John

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:14:45 -0000, "John" <> wrote:

    >I always see 'MBR error 2' on screen just after the Bios has done it's thing
    >and the Windows XP loading screen appears, It doesn't seem to interfere with
    >the boot process.
    >
    >Is the hard disk on its way out or will a format cure it?
    >

    >I'm using a DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Hard Drive (Maxtor-6Y120P0), it's 4 months
    >old.

    Boot the computer from a Windows XP Installation CD, Install the Recovery Console, reboot,
    select the Recovery Console option, and run FIXMBR command.

    Unk, Dec 31, 2005