    affects this title.

    Thanks,

    Jim Nason
    Jim Nason, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Jim Nason

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Jim Nason" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    >
    > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday

    at
    > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    > this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience with this disc? Any suggestions? I

    know
    > I can (and will) return it, but I'm wondering if there is a glitch which
    > affects this title.

    Not that I've heard; my copy plays perfectly.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Jim Nason

    Mark W Guest

    "Jim Nason" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    >
    > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday

    at
    > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    > this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience with this disc? Any suggestions? I

    know
    > I can (and will) return it, but I'm wondering if there is a glitch which
    > affects this title.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim Nason

    Try another R.Crowe movie and see if you get the same message. Your DVD
    player may need to be 'unlocked' for Russell Crowe movies.
    Mark W, Apr 24, 2004
  4. This is more likely a problem with your particular player. In theory,
    if a DVD conforms to the DVD standards, then it should run on all
    players. But not all players are equal, unfortunately. How old is your
    player? How much did you pay for it?

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Jim Nason

    djskyler Guest

    "Jim Nason" wrote

    > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday

    at
    > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    > this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    > perfectly.

    A disc can appear to be in perfect condition and still be defective. I got
    a couple like that. Try exchanging it and see if a different copy works.
    djskyler, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Jim Nason

    Dragon Guest

    I had this problem with League of extraordinary gentlemen, it was original
    and kept playing the trailers at the beginning, clicked on play movie went
    straight back to the trailers at the beginning

    Dave

    Dragon, Apr 25, 2004
  7. Jim Nason

    DigitalDeude Guest

    Jim Nason wrote:

    > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    >
    > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
    > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    > this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience with this disc? Any suggestions? I know
    > I can (and will) return it, but I'm wondering if there is a glitch which
    > affects this title.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim Nason

    Mine played perfectly on a 1999 vintage Sony DVD player
    DigitalDeude, Apr 25, 2004
  8. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:00:50 -0400, "Jim Nason"
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    >
    >I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
    >Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    >message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    >disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    >this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    >perfectly.

    Is your player set to region 0 or all region? If so this disc won't
    play unless you set the region to 1.

    .Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 25, 2004
  9. Jim Nason

    Goro Guest

    "Jim Nason" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    >
    > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
    > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    > this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience with this disc? Any suggestions? I know
    > I can (and will) return it, but I'm wondering if there is a glitch which
    > affects this title.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim Nason

    Just consider yourself lucky! :)

    could it be an RCE disc? Is your panny a region free player? That
    err message is really weird. do you have a dvd-rom drive to try it
    in?

    -goro-
    Goro, Apr 26, 2004
  10. Jim Nason

    Jim Nason Guest

    > > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    > >
    > > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday

    at
    > > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got

    > > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert

    another
    > > disc." The disc appears to be in perfect condition, and I have never had
    > > this experience with any other disc. All other DVDs that I have play
    > > perfectly.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else had this experience with this disc? Any suggestions? I

    know
    > > I can (and will) return it, but I'm wondering if there is a glitch which
    > > affects this title.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jim Nason

    > Just consider yourself lucky! :)
    >
    > could it be an RCE disc? Is your panny a region free player? That
    > err message is really weird. do you have a dvd-rom drive to try it
    > in?
    >
    > -goro-

    Thanks for all the suggestions. My Panasonic player is from around 1999, and
    cost nearly $400.00 at the time. I do not believe it is a Region-Free unit.
    I play only Region 1 commercial discs, except for the occasional Region 0
    disc, such as Black Sunday (1960). This the first disc that would not play
    or even show the menu. Yes, I did try it on my DVD-ROM on the computer, and
    it plays, but with a jittery picture and lots of crackling in the audio.

    Jim Nason
    Jim Nason, Apr 27, 2004
  11. Jim Nason

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Jim Nason" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. My Panasonic player is from around 1999,

    and
    > cost nearly $400.00 at the time. I do not believe it is a Region-Free

    unit.
    > I play only Region 1 commercial discs, except for the occasional Region 0
    > disc, such as Black Sunday (1960). This the first disc that would not play
    > or even show the menu. Yes, I did try it on my DVD-ROM on the computer,

    and
    > it plays, but with a jittery picture and lots of crackling in the audio.

    Sounds like a bad disc, then. Just exchange it and see if you have better
    luck with a new copy.

    And ignore the guy who said to consider yourself lucky - it's a great movie.
    :)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 27, 2004
  12. Jim Nason

    JMKAUFFMAN Guest

    I just myself had this same message on the Fox Studio Classics release of "Song
    of Bernadette." I had never seen it before, either. In my case, this DVD
    wouldn't even read on my PC--it was like there was nothing in the drive. Even
    the one I got in exchange seems to be very slow in loading, I'm wondering if
    there was a product-wide mastering error somewhere.
    JMKAUFFMAN, Apr 27, 2004
  13. Jim Nason

    Nick Medrano Guest

    "Jim Nason" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    >
    > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
    > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > disc."

    Hey Jim,
    I got the SAME message on my Panasonic DVD player that is from 1999.
    Let me know if you return it and are able to play another one. I'd
    return mine, but it's from NETFLIX and I don't think a new one will
    solve the problem.

    Stayin' in the loop...
    Nick Medrano, Apr 28, 2004
  14. Jim Nason

    David Nott Guest

    > "Jim Nason" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    > >
    > > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
    > > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
    > > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
    > > disc."

    > Jim,
    > I have had the same problem. I bought the DVD at Best Buy on April 20 and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the same time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy won't give me a refund.

    My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
    I often get the error message "unknown file format".
    David Nott, May 13, 2004
  15. Jim Nason

    Biz Guest

    > > > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
    > > >
    > > > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD

    yesterday at
    > > > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I

    got a
    > > > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert

    another
    > > > disc."

    > > Jim,
    > > I have had the same problem. I bought the DVD at Best Buy on April 20

    and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the same
    time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
    have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy won't
    give me a refund.
    > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
    > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

    From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other players
    besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal policy on
    open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't like
    the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
    pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
    responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
    Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might think
    of.
    Biz, May 13, 2004
  16. Jim Nason

    David Nott Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message news:<6mNoc.646$>...
    > "David Nott" <> wrote in message
    > > > Jim,
    > > > I have had the same problem. I bought the DVD at Best Buy on April 20

    > and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the same
    > time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
    > have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy won't
    > give me a refund.
    > > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
    > > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

    > From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other players
    > besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal policy on
    > open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't like
    > the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
    > pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
    > responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
    > Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might think
    > of.

    On May 13 I went back to Best Buy and again replaced the Master and
    Commander DVD. This 4th disk was playable so the store must have
    gotten a new shipment of DVDs that weren't off-spec.
    The retailer is NOT out of the loop and is bound by an implicit
    "warranty of merchantability". If this were not so you could not get a
    chargeback on your credit card or sue a merchant in small claims
    court. The warranty of merchantability allows the merchant to replace
    the defective product with a nondefective product but if the merchant
    won't or can't replace the product you are entitled to a refund. A
    product is defective when you reasonably expect it to meet your use
    and it fails to do so. Thus if your DVD player can play the 50 DVDs
    you have and you buy a DVD which doesn't play then legally the DVD is
    defective.
    I have a dispute with a retailer about once a year and have always
    gotten a chargeback on my credit card so I have never had to sue a
    merchant. When dealing with defective products you should state that
    the merchant is in violation of the warranty of merchantability.
    David Nott, May 15, 2004
  17. Jim Nason

    Biz Guest

    > > "David Nott" <> wrote in message

    20
    > > and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the

    same
    > > time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
    > > have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy

    won't
    > > give me a refund.
    > > > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
    > > > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

    > > From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other

    players
    > > besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal

    policy on
    > > open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't

    like
    > > the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
    > > pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
    > > responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
    > > Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might

    think
    > > of.

    > On May 13 I went back to Best Buy and again replaced the Master and
    > Commander DVD. This 4th disk was playable so the store must have
    > gotten a new shipment of DVDs that weren't off-spec.
    > The retailer is NOT out of the loop and is bound by an implicit
    > "warranty of merchantability". If this were not so you could not get a
    > chargeback on your credit card or sue a merchant in small claims
    > court. The warranty of merchantability allows the merchant to replace
    > the defective product with a nondefective product but if the merchant
    > won't or can't replace the product you are entitled to a refund. A
    > product is defective when you reasonably expect it to meet your use
    > and it fails to do so. Thus if your DVD player can play the 50 DVDs
    > you have and you buy a DVD which doesn't play then legally the DVD is
    > defective.
    > I have a dispute with a retailer about once a year and have always
    > gotten a chargeback on my credit card so I have never had to sue a
    > merchant. When dealing with defective products you should state that
    > the merchant is in violation of the warranty of merchantability.

    Stay away from me you anal retentive freak. And get a friggin clue.
    Biz, May 15, 2004
  18. Jim Nason

    Biz Guest

    > > "David Nott" <> wrote in message

    20
    > > and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the

    same
    > > time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
    > > have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy

    won't
    > > give me a refund.
    > > > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
    > > > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

    > > From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other

    players
    > > besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal

    policy on
    > > open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't

    like
    > > the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
    > > pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
    > > responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
    > > Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might

    think
    > > of.

    > On May 13 I went back to Best Buy and again replaced the Master and
    > Commander DVD. This 4th disk was playable so the store must have
    > gotten a new shipment of DVDs that weren't off-spec.
    > The retailer is NOT out of the loop and is bound by an implicit
    > "warranty of merchantability". If this were not so you could not get a
    > chargeback on your credit card or sue a merchant in small claims
    > court. The warranty of merchantability allows the merchant to replace
    > the defective product with a nondefective product but if the merchant
    > won't or can't replace the product you are entitled to a refund. A
    > product is defective when you reasonably expect it to meet your use
    > and it fails to do so. Thus if your DVD player can play the 50 DVDs
    > you have and you buy a DVD which doesn't play then legally the DVD is
    > defective.
    > I have a dispute with a retailer about once a year and have always
    > gotten a chargeback on my credit card so I have never had to sue a
    > merchant. When dealing with defective products you should state that
    > the merchant is in violation of the warranty of merchantability.

    Let me correct my mistakes from my last reply to you.

    BB or any other DVD retailer have no control of the Quality in manufacturing
    or authoring of the dvds they get. The only thing they can do is exchange
    it for another copy. If in fact, MAster and Commander turns out to have bad
    pressings or batches out there, BB has no responsibility for that, they
    arent making the things, they are the reseller only. Your beef has to be
    taken up with whoever released the title. As long as BB is replacing the
    titles you claim to be defective, they are out of it. IF you own 50 DVDs,
    you SHOULD already know that not every disk will play on every player,
    especially some pc drives and software player combinations.

    Since I have not seen but one ot two other people claiming M&C was bad from
    the store,
    believe me, there would be posts all over the place if they were, the only
    logical explanation is your equipment.

    WHen dealing with defective products, you exchange them for replacements
    under the returns/exchange policy of the reseller.
    BB is doing EXACTLY what their policy is setup to do.
    Biz, May 16, 2004