MASSIVE FILE! What do I do with it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Patrick D. Rockwell, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Tonight, I did a backup of my hard drive. I noticed a huge
    file 0.5 Gb in size. After my backup, I opened my command
    prompt window to take a look at it. Here is the directory
    listing for *.dmp.

    02/07/2005 07:43 PM 534,855,680 MEMORY.DMP
    1 File(s) 534,855,680 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 4,528,934,912 bytes free

    C:\WINDOWS>

    I got my laptop on 02/12/2002, and the date above is
    02/07/2005. That's only 12 days ago, so the file is
    being updated, and I have to believe it's getting bigger.

    What is this file anyway? Can I delete it? Can I trim
    it down? Thanks in advance for any information.

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick D. Rockwell, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Patrick D. Rockwell

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: MASSIVE FILE! What do I do with it?
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => Patrick D. Rockwell <= wrote:

    >02/07/2005 07:43 PM 534,855,680 MEMORY.DMP
    > 1 File(s) 534,855,680 bytes
    > 0 Dir(s) 4,528,934,912 bytes free

    What the **** do you think is?

    delete it.

    G. Morgan, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Patrick D. Rockwell

    MJJ Guest

    "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> wrote in message
    > Tonight, I did a backup of my hard drive. I noticed a huge
    > file 0.5 Gb in size. After my backup, I opened my command
    > prompt window to take a look at it. Here is the directory
    > listing for *.dmp.
    >

    > 02/07/2005 07:43 PM 534,855,680 MEMORY.DMP
    > 1 File(s) 534,855,680 bytes
    > 0 Dir(s) 4,528,934,912 bytes free
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>
    >
    > I got my laptop on 02/12/2002, and the date above is
    > 02/07/2005. That's only 12 days ago, so the file is
    > being updated, and I have to believe it's getting bigger.
    >
    > What is this file anyway? Can I delete it? Can I trim
    > it down? Thanks in advance for any information.
    >

    > --
    > -------------------------------
    > Patrick D. Rockwell

    Patrick,

    It's just a memory dump. Probably your machine didn't boot properly or
    crashed before. The contents of the memory is written to your hard drive
    then for analasys. You can safely delete it. You might want to check the
    advanced options under System and set the file smaller of none at all. Most
    of the time it's useless anyway.

    MJJ

    MJJ, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Patrick D. Rockwell

    123 Guest

    Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:

    > Tonight, I did a backup of my hard drive. I noticed a huge
    > file 0.5 Gb in size. After my backup, I opened my command
    > prompt window to take a look at it. Here is the directory
    > listing for *.dmp.
    >
    > 02/07/2005 07:43 PM 534,855,680 MEMORY.DMP

    That's created after a system crash. Safe to delete.

    BTW, 0.5 GB is NOT a massive file. ;) Try video editing one day.

    123, Feb 27, 2005
  5. Patrick D. Rockwell

    123 Guest

    123 wrote:

    >> 02/07/2005 07:43 PM 534,855,680 MEMORY.DMP

    > That's created after a system crash. Safe to delete.

    Oh, and to stop this file being created after future crashes:

    Right-click My Computer, select Properties. Click the Advanced tab,
    then the Settings button in the Startup & Recovery section. In the
    Write Debugging Information section, set it to (None). Then click
    OK all the way out again.

    123, Feb 27, 2005
  6. Do the OBVIOUS - go to Google.com and scan for "MEMORY.DMP".

    Hü©klëßë®®ÿ Hö§hïmötö, Feb 27, 2005
  7. Re: Sorry I gotta ask about ‘ ANAL WARTS ‘

    Jou simpel kont, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Powaqqatsi Guest

    Brian B n, wrote in message
    fpUd.2122$2net.dk:

    > The answers on Linux-servers are more intelligent than the ones in
    > this thread...

    Who told you that?

    Powaqqatsi, Mar 8, 2005