    2. make 4000 of them be available via web.

    Do you know of any application that would let me do 1 and 2, even separately ?

    Thanks a lot in advance
    Piero, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Piero

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 12 Feb 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Piero wrote:

    > I need to
    > 1. archive 8000 old paper photo in digital format, by scanning them
    > 2. make 4000 of them be available via web.
    >
    > Do you know of any application that would let me do 1 and 2, even
    > separately ?

    Lots of 'em.

    For the first, you might want to get a higher-end scanner which has a
    document feed. I would assume that a scanner like that would also come
    with software which will let you do batch processing of images. Put in
    20 or so at a time, go have a cup of coffee, come back, feed 20 more.

    For the second, there are a lot of online photo gallery applications.
    One I like is Singapore:

    http://singapore.sourceforge.net/

    You need to have PHP available on your server to run it, and as of the
    last time I checked, it does not use a database to store image
    information. You put pictures into directories under the main Singapore
    directory, and can add information to it via a web interface.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/
    Joe Makowiec, Feb 12, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    (Piero) wrote:

    > I need to
    > 1. archive 8000 old paper photo in digital format, by scanning them

    Easy. 8000 JPEGs of 10MB each is only 80GB. A couple of 120GB or 250GB
    drives (one for backup) won't cost much. At least one of the drives
    should be an external so it's isolated from any damage that may happen
    at your computer. Professional and insured data archival services are
    available if the photos are valuable and unreplaceable. If that costs
    too much, leave backups with friends.

    > 2. make 4000 of them be available via web.

    This one is tougher because bandwidth costs money.

    A cheap OS X-capable Mac and $60/month for DSL will get you serving up
    photos at 608Kbps with no trouble at all. It works great for friends
    and family but 608Kbps chokes once the general public starts downloading.
    Here's an example:
    http://www.pixelmemory.us/

    ISP hosting can get you high bandwidth but they charge per GB
    transfered. Some colo services will host charities and non-profit
    organizations for very low fees.

    A photo service like Shutterfly can display low-res photos online and
    sell high res prints and high res CDs. Contact their customer support
    regarding very large archives.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Piero

    Piero Guest