Mass Storage Device?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brando, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Brando

    Brando Guest

    I have a Packard Bell iXtreme 9505 (Pentium 4) PC. I recently upgraded to
    Win XP Pro SP2 and having problems installing new hardware. I have tried to
    install a Sony Digital Camera un USB 1.1, Sony Digital Camcorder on USB 1.1.
    and Firewire, and my Firewire card itself, but with no success. All of these
    items will not install. The Sony digital camera seems to be installing a
    driver, but when I reboot, there is no driver installed at all. The Sony
    digital camcorder installs a driver, but Win XP device manager has a yellow
    exclamation mark and says "error 28", not installed properly. The Firewire
    card is the same....'shows up in device manager, but "error 28" not
    installed properly. I have other devices on the USB and they're
    okay...'printer and webcam. I did install them 'before' SP2 though. I
    thought it was SP2 to blame at first but now I'm not so sure as I just
    looked in the device manager tonight and right at the bottom it shows the
    USB controllers, and FOUR entries...'two host controllers and two Root hubs.

    Now...'my Son's PC has one other entry called USB Mass Storage Device. I do
    NOT have this entry....'why not? Is 'this' the problem? If it IS the
    problem, how the heck do I get this "Mass Storage Device" entry to show up?
    Any assistance appreciated.
    Ray.

    Brando, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Brando

    Maybe Guest

    Brando wrote:
    > I have a Packard Bell iXtreme 9505 (Pentium 4) PC. I recently upgraded to
    > Win XP Pro SP2 and having problems installing new hardware. I have tried to
    > install a Sony Digital Camera un USB 1.1, Sony Digital Camcorder on USB 1.1.
    > and Firewire, and my Firewire card itself, but with no success. All of these
    > items will not install. The Sony digital camera seems to be installing a
    > driver, but when I reboot, there is no driver installed at all. The Sony
    > digital camcorder installs a driver, but Win XP device manager has a yellow
    > exclamation mark and says "error 28", not installed properly. The Firewire
    > card is the same....'shows up in device manager, but "error 28" not
    > installed properly. I have other devices on the USB and they're
    > okay...'printer and webcam. I did install them 'before' SP2 though. I
    > thought it was SP2 to blame at first but now I'm not so sure as I just
    > looked in the device manager tonight and right at the bottom it shows the
    > USB controllers, and FOUR entries...'two host controllers and two Root hubs.
    >
    > Now...'my Son's PC has one other entry called USB Mass Storage Device. I do
    > NOT have this entry....'why not? Is 'this' the problem? If it IS the
    > problem, how the heck do I get this "Mass Storage Device" entry to show up?
    > Any assistance appreciated.
    > Ray.

    Your son's USB Mass Storage Device probably refers to a slot
    accommodating a data storage card or similar (usually in a peripheral
    device).

    Maybe, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Brando

    Brando Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    > Brando wrote:
    >> I have a Packard Bell iXtreme 9505 (Pentium 4) PC. I recently upgraded to
    >> Win XP Pro SP2 and having problems installing new hardware. I have tried
    >> to install a Sony Digital Camera un USB 1.1, Sony Digital Camcorder on
    >> USB 1.1. and Firewire, and my Firewire card itself, but with no success.
    >> All of these items will not install. The Sony digital camera seems to be
    >> installing a driver, but when I reboot, there is no driver installed at
    >> all. The Sony digital camcorder installs a driver, but Win XP device
    >> manager has a yellow exclamation mark and says "error 28", not installed
    >> properly. The Firewire card is the same....'shows up in device manager,
    >> but "error 28" not installed properly. I have other devices on the USB
    >> and they're okay...'printer and webcam. I did install them 'before' SP2
    >> though. I thought it was SP2 to blame at first but now I'm not so sure as
    >> I just looked in the device manager tonight and right at the bottom it
    >> shows the USB controllers, and FOUR entries...'two host controllers and
    >> two Root hubs.
    >>
    >> Now...'my Son's PC has one other entry called USB Mass Storage Device. I
    >> do NOT have this entry....'why not? Is 'this' the problem? If it IS the
    >> problem, how the heck do I get this "Mass Storage Device" entry to show
    >> up?
    >> Any assistance appreciated.
    >> Ray.
    >>

    > Your son's USB Mass Storage Device probably refers to a slot accommodating
    > a data storage card or similar (usually in a peripheral device).

    Nope.

    Brando, Jan 2, 2006