    description of the disc contents. Is this acceptable, or might it be
    harmful in some way to either the disc or a player? Thanks.

    , Dec 28, 2005

  2. John Howells Guest

    <> wrote

    > I often put masking tape on the non-recordable side of personal-use
    > discs I've burned, and use a ball-point to mark the masking tape with a
    > description of the disc contents. Is this acceptable, or might it be
    > harmful in some way to either the disc or a player?

    It is not acceptable. Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    purpose to write directly on the disk.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Large Farva Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote
    >
    >> I often put masking tape on the non-recordable side of personal-use
    >> discs I've burned, and use a ball-point to mark the masking tape with a
    >> description of the disc contents. Is this acceptable, or might it be
    >> harmful in some way to either the disc or a player?

    > It is not acceptable. Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    > purpose to write directly on the disk.

    Good Lord. Masking tape will destory whatever disc it's stuck to..why would
    anyone do that?

    Large Farva, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Nelly Guest

    John Howells wrote:
    > <> wrote
    >

    >>I often put masking tape on the non-recordable side of personal-use
    >>discs I've burned, and use a ball-point to mark the masking tape with a
    >>description of the disc contents. Is this acceptable, or might it be
    >>harmful in some way to either the disc or a player?

    > It is not acceptable. Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    > purpose to write directly on the disk.
    >
    > John Howells

    Not to sound ignorant, but why a special marker pen? Can't you just use
    a sharpie? I've used a sharpie on my CDs for ages and haven't had any
    problems.

    Nelly, Dec 29, 2005
  5. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:23:58 GMT, "Large Farva" <> Gave
    us:

    >"John Howells" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote
    >>
    >>> I often put masking tape on the non-recordable side of personal-use
    >>> discs I've burned, and use a ball-point to mark the masking tape with a
    >>> description of the disc contents. Is this acceptable, or might it be
    >>> harmful in some way to either the disc or a player?

    >> It is not acceptable. Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    >> purpose to write directly on the disk.

    >Good Lord. Masking tape will destory whatever disc it's stuck to..why would
    >anyone do that?

    It has nothing to do with the destruction of the disc (unless one
    tries to remove it).

    What it does do is throw off the balance of the disc so bad that it
    will eventually damage the drive mechanism of the player.

    The read/write surface of the disc is a flat plastic read through
    cover for the polymer layer that gets impinged upon (read burned) by
    the write laser. The problem with damaging the top side of a burnable
    disc is that the polymer layer is just below the surface of the top
    side, and can get very easily screwed up by ball point pens, tape, a
    fingernail, or any other thing that can transfer surface pressure form
    whatever implement through to the polymer write layer, causing damage
    and or data loss.

    Almost ANY SOFT TIP "magic marker" type device is safe for them.
    Perhaps the most generic type discs out there with a mere silk screen
    overlay on the top side is the most susceptible.

    A printed (read printable) disc does not get thrown off balance
    enough by the jet printer ink weight to be problematic for the drive
    mechanism.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 29, 2005
  6. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:59:19 -0500, Nelly <> Gave
    us:

    >John Howells wrote:
    >> <> wrote
    >>

    >>>I often put masking tape on the non-recordable side of personal-use
    >>>discs I've burned, and use a ball-point to mark the masking tape with a
    >>>description of the disc contents. Is this acceptable, or might it be
    >>>harmful in some way to either the disc or a player?

    >> It is not acceptable. Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    >> purpose to write directly on the disk.
    >>
    >> John Howells
    >>

    >Not to sound ignorant, but why a special marker pen? Can't you just use
    >a sharpie? I've used a sharpie on my CDs for ages and haven't had any
    >problems.

    It isn't a problem.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:52:21 -0000, "John Howells"
    <> wrote:

    >Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    >purpose to write directly on the disk.

    Or stop by an office supply store and get the Sharpie Permanent
    Marker. I prefer the Ultra Fine Point.

    You can remove the ink from certain kinds of DVDs, like silver
    lacquer, with acetone, but be careful because it will dissolve the
    plastic if overused. You can get acetone by the gallon at paint
    stores.

    --

    Merry Christmas!

    http://www.illwillpress.com/xmas.html

    Bob, Dec 29, 2005
  8. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:54:55 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:

    >On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:52:21 -0000, "John Howells"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Use the special CD/DVD marker pens sold for the
    >>purpose to write directly on the disk.

    >Or stop by an office supply store and get the Sharpie Permanent
    >Marker. I prefer the Ultra Fine Point.
    >
    >You can remove the ink from certain kinds of DVDs, like silver
    >lacquer, with acetone, but be careful because it will dissolve the
    >plastic if overused.

    You are a friggin idiot for that one (don't take it too hard). Is
    that a troll? (you're kidding right?) One should NOT use a SOLVENT
    that attacks plastic in any way shape or form. That is the WORST
    advice I have ever seen!

    > You can get acetone by the gallon at paint
    >stores.

    You can buy it by the pint at the home store of your choice, but you
    STILL should NOT use it on an optical disc, let alone a recordable
    version, which has the polymer layer only a few thousandths of an inch
    below the TOP surface!

    DUDE, technical advice is something you should stay away from.
    At least in this arena.

    Must be those Mexican grass clippings getting in your lungs. :-]

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 29, 2005
  9. Bob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:15:17 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    > You are a friggin idiot for that one (don't take it too hard). Is
    >that a troll? (you're kidding right?) One should NOT use a SOLVENT
    >that attacks plastic in any way shape or form. That is the WORST
    >advice I have ever seen!

    I have done it on RW discs successfully.

    >> You can get acetone by the gallon at paint
    >>stores.

    > You can buy it by the pint at the home store of your choice, but you
    >STILL should NOT use it on an optical disc, let alone a recordable
    >version, which has the polymer layer only a few thousandths of an inch
    >below the TOP surface!

    I would like to see a bonafide reference to back up that claim.

    > DUDE, technical advice is something you should stay away from.
    >At least in this arena.

    Are you sure that it is not you who needs to do some homework on thsi
    issue.

    > Must be those Mexican grass clippings getting in your lungs. :-]

    You are overreacting.

    If what you say is true, then printing on a DVD disc would ruin it.

    But we know that is not true.

    Bob, Dec 29, 2005
  10. Jeff Rife Guest

    Roy L. Fuchs () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:54:55 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:
    > >You can remove the ink from certain kinds of DVDs, like silver
    > >lacquer, with acetone, but be careful because it will dissolve the
    > >plastic if overused.

    > You are a friggin idiot for that one (don't take it too hard). Is
    > that a troll? (you're kidding right?) One should NOT use a SOLVENT
    > that attacks plastic in any way shape or form. That is the WORST
    > advice I have ever seen!

    Indeed, especially when rubbing alcohol will remove the ink from a Sharpie
    with no effect on the plastic at all. Based on other posts, I suspect that
    "Bob" might be a little loopy from sniffing all that acetone.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Dec 29, 2005
  11. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:46:20 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:

    >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:15:17 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> You are a friggin idiot for that one (don't take it too hard). Is
    >>that a troll? (you're kidding right?) One should NOT use a SOLVENT
    >>that attacks plastic in any way shape or form. That is the WORST
    >>advice I have ever seen!

    >I have done it on RW discs successfully.

    No SOLVENTS ON DISCS. It is an easy rule to follow, regardless of
    your not previously informed experiences.

    >>> You can get acetone by the gallon at paint
    >>>stores.

    >> You can buy it by the pint at the home store of your choice, but you
    >>STILL should NOT use it on an optical disc, let alone a recordable
    >>version, which has the polymer layer only a few thousandths of an inch
    >>below the TOP surface!

    >I would like to see a bonafide reference to back up that claim.

    Take a dead writable disc, and press on it with a ball point pen on
    the top side. Hold it up to the light and see readily the impression
    goes right through to the bit carrying polymer layer.

    >> DUDE, technical advice is something you should stay away from.
    >>At least in this arena.

    >Are you sure that it is not you who needs to do some homework on thsi
    >issue.

    Absolutely. Any solvent that does NOT attack plastics, such as
    simple IPA Alcohol is acceptable. ANY solvent that does attack
    plastics is not. It is basic physics, and chemistry.

    >> Must be those Mexican grass clippings getting in your lungs. :-]

    >You are overreacting.

    I want some of what you are smoking.

    >If what you say is true, then printing on a DVD disc would ruin it.

    Nope. Jet printer inks do NOT carry petroleum based solvents or
    vehicles, or any other vehicle base that attacks plastics. Most of
    them are IN a plastic carrier.

    >But we know that is not true.

    You must review.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 29, 2005
  12. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:49:42 -0500, Jeff Rife <> Gave
    us:

    >Roy L. Fuchs () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:54:55 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:
    >> >You can remove the ink from certain kinds of DVDs, like silver
    >> >lacquer, with acetone, but be careful because it will dissolve the
    >> >plastic if overused.

    >> You are a friggin idiot for that one (don't take it too hard). Is
    >> that a troll? (you're kidding right?) One should NOT use a SOLVENT
    >> that attacks plastic in any way shape or form. That is the WORST
    >> advice I have ever seen!

    >Indeed, especially when rubbing alcohol will remove the ink from a Sharpie
    >with no effect on the plastic at all. Based on other posts, I suspect that
    >"Bob" might be a little loopy from sniffing all that acetone.

    I was thinking that it was the grass clippings.

    Maybe a cloud of strong "pollen" made its way across the border. :-]

    He'll be OK. Admittance will get you everywhere.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 29, 2005
  13. Wild Coyote Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:13:24 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:49:42 -0500, Jeff Rife <> Gave
    >us:
    >
    >>Roy L. Fuchs () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:54:55 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:
    >>>
    >>> You are a friggin idiot for that one (don't take it too hard). Is
    >>> that a troll? (you're kidding right?) One should NOT use a SOLVENT
    >>> that attacks plastic in any way shape or form. That is the WORST
    >>> advice I have ever seen!

    >>Indeed, especially when rubbing alcohol will remove the ink from a Sharpie
    >>with no effect on the plastic at all. Based on other posts, I suspect that
    >>"Bob" might be a little loopy from sniffing all that acetone.

    > I was thinking that it was the grass clippings.
    >
    > Maybe a cloud of strong "pollen" made its way across the border. :-]
    >
    > He'll be OK. Admittance will get you everywhere.

    I want some....
    --
    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Wild Coyote, Dec 29, 2005
  14. Bob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:12:04 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    > No SOLVENTS ON DISCS. It is an easy rule to follow, regardless of
    >your not previously informed experiences.

    What about the solvents in a marker pen?

    > Take a dead writable disc, and press on it with a ball point pen on
    >the top side. Hold it up to the light and see readily the impression
    >goes right through to the bit carrying polymer layer.

    OK, I did exactly as you said to do - I wrote on the top with a ball
    point. I pressed quite hard too.

    NOTHING HAPPENED!

    You must be using an inferior disc. Try your ball point on a good disc
    like a Fuji MIJ TY.

    > You must review.

    I should point out that the discs I use are silver lacquer coated on
    top and that is likely what protects them underneath.

    I agree that it is safer not to use acetone on a DVD - I don't even
    use labels - but if you absolutely must remove permanent marker ink,
    it may be worth a try if your disc is well coated and you use the
    acetone very sparingly. But you do it at your own risk.

    It was not necessary for you to get hysterical and insulting just to
    make your point.

    Bob, Dec 29, 2005
  15. Bob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:49:42 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >Indeed, especially when rubbing alcohol will remove the ink from a Sharpie
    >with no effect on the plastic at all.

    Well, what do you know - it actually works.

    Learn something new every day.

    > Based on other posts, I suspect that
    >"Bob" might be a little loopy from sniffing all that acetone.

    Just what other posts are you referring to? Be specific if you want
    anyone to believe you.

    Bob, Dec 29, 2005
  16. Bob Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I was thinking that it was the grass clippings.
    > Maybe a cloud of strong "pollen" made its way across the border. :-]
    > He'll be OK. Admittance will get you everywhere.

    <yawn>

    Not even registering on the laugh scale. Better stick to professional
    comedy like Used Cars.

    Bob, Dec 29, 2005
  17. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:38:20 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:

    >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:12:04 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> No SOLVENTS ON DISCS. It is an easy rule to follow, regardless of
    >>your not previously informed experiences.

    >What about the solvents in a marker pen?

    They "dry" (evaporate) virtually instantly, but that is the reason
    that the makers of Disc marking specific markers would give to use
    their products..

    >> Take a dead writable disc, and press on it with a ball point pen on
    >>the top side. Hold it up to the light and see readily the impression
    >>goes right through to the bit carrying polymer layer.

    >OK, I did exactly as you said to do - I wrote on the top with a ball
    >point. I pressed quite hard too.
    >
    >NOTHING HAPPENED!

    All I can tell you is that I know how such discs are constructed, and
    the polymer layer is just beneath the top side of the disc. I don't
    like that method of manufacture, but I do know it to be the way the do
    it.

    >You must be using an inferior disc.

    Hahhahaa... ridiculous. Tandy invented the process, they all
    follow it. Scrape a BAD disc, and examine it. It barely takes any
    depth at all to "damage" the write layer.

    > Try your ball point on a good disc
    >like a Fuji MIJ TY.

    It isn't worth arguing about. I know how they are made. If there
    is a maker that has a thicker "top coat" they are outside the norm.

    >> You must review.

    >I should point out that the discs I use are silver lacquer coated on
    >top and that is likely what protects them underneath.

    Silver lacquer? All the more reason NOT to use a solvent that
    immediately dissolves lacquer, let alone plastic. Both lacquer
    thinner and acetone will.

    >I agree that it is safer not to use acetone on a DVD - I don't even
    >use labels - but if you absolutely must remove permanent marker ink,
    >it may be worth a try if your disc is well coated and you use the
    >acetone very sparingly. But you do it at your own risk.
    >
    >It was not necessary for you to get hysterical and insulting just to
    >make your point.

    I don't think poking fun at you was insulting at all, much less
    hysterically so. Sheesh, bro.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 30, 2005
  18. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:42:44 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:

    >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:49:42 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:
    >
    >>Indeed, especially when rubbing alcohol will remove the ink from a Sharpie
    >>with no effect on the plastic at all.

    >Well, what do you know - it actually works.
    >
    >Learn something new every day.
    >
    >> Based on other posts, I suspect that
    >>"Bob" might be a little loopy from sniffing all that acetone.

    >Just what other posts are you referring to? Be specific if you want
    >anyone to believe you.

    Maybe he is talking about the slightly more than a little racist
    "lawn mower operator" sub-thread. :-]

    Can't figure out how you rich dudes in Texas can't afford a
    neighbor's kid, when folks in states like Ohio do it all the time, and
    it fits in their budget just fine. Hell, they even got more grass,
    and it grows faster in real top soil than it does that sandy desert
    like stuff down there. Just guessing though.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 30, 2005
  19. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:45:25 GMT, (Bob) Gave us:

    >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:13:24 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking that it was the grass clippings.
    >> Maybe a cloud of strong "pollen" made its way across the border. :-]
    >> He'll be OK. Admittance will get you everywhere.

    ><yawn>
    >
    >Not even registering on the laugh scale. Better stick to professional
    >comedy like Used Cars.

    You're just saying that 'cause it was directed at you. I think it
    was pretty funny.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Dec 30, 2005
  20. Bob Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:19:28 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    >>OK, I did exactly as you said to do - I wrote on the top with a ball
    >>point. I pressed quite hard too.
    >>NOTHING HAPPENED!

    > All I can tell you is that I know how such discs are constructed, and
    >the polymer layer is just beneath the top side of the disc. I don't
    >like that method of manufacture, but I do know it to be the way the do
    >it.

    I would like to see a credible reference to support that claim.

    >>You must be using an inferior disc.

    > Hahhahaa... ridiculous. Tandy invented the process, they all
    >follow it. Scrape a BAD disc, and examine it. It barely takes any
    >depth at all to "damage" the write layer.

    I did exactly as you said to do - I scaped the top of a Fuji MIJ TY
    disc. I used an exacto knife, which is razor sharp. I physucally
    scraped the letters off the last half of the "FUJIFILM" name. I
    penetrated several thousands into the surface. I did not pussy around
    - I scraped the crap out of the disk.

    NOTHING HAPPENED!

    >> Try your ball point on a good disc
    >>like a Fuji MIJ TY.

    > It isn't worth arguing about. I know how they are made.

    I would like to see a credible reference to support that claim.

    >If there is a maker that has a thicker "top coat" they are outside the norm.

    There is no "top coat" other than the lacquer finish.

    I just scraped the bottom side - the side with the active material on
    it. I was able to scrape the active layer off easily - down to bare
    plastic.

    The disc is made by coating the BOTTOM, not the top.

    YOU HAVE THE WHOLE THING BACKWARDS.

    Bob, Dec 30, 2005