    should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?

    Thanks,
    -Mark

    Spookshow, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Spookshow

    Card53 Guest

    >Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
    >the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
    >should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >-Mark

    The Paramount Marx films are set for re-release in November.

    John Larrabee
    Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
    http://laurelandhardycentral.com

    (To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

    Card53, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Spookshow

    Meng Guest

    > The Paramount Marx films are set for re-release in November.

    Excellent. Individually, or in a box like the UK release?

    Meng, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Spookshow wrote:

    > Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
    > the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
    > should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?

    From what I can gather from DVDPricesearch, the exOrbitantly priced
    11/9 Universals--which are as "official" as they're pretty damn well
    going to get--are now a boxset (no word yet on individual disks), but
    with a 6th bonus-extra disk.

    Ditto, apparently, for the WC Fields set.

    Derek Janssen (and as for the Taiwans...oh, COME now!)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Spookshow

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
    > the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
    > should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?

    I think you're confused. The "exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases"
    are not Universal releases. They were from Image Entertainment, who licensed
    the films from Universal, and are exhorbitantly priced because they have been
    OOP for a couple of years.

    The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from Universal
    this time.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 20, 2004
  6. jayembee wrote:
    > The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from
    > Universal this time.

    Wasn't there a boxset that Warner just put out? Or is this the case of
    Universal owning some stuff and Warner owning other stuff so they
    are putting out their own boxsets?

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Spookshow

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > jayembee wrote:
    >> The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from
    >> Universal this time.

    > Wasn't there a boxset that Warner just put out? Or is this the case of
    > Universal owning some stuff and Warner owning other stuff so they
    > are putting out their own boxsets?

    The latter. The first five Marx Brothers films were made at Paramount,
    and the rights to them went to Universal when Universal bought the
    Paramount library back in the late 40s.

    After those five films, the Marxes left Paramount. Of their next seven
    films, five were at MGM, one at RKO, and one at United Artists. These
    are all controlled by Warner, and were released by them the other month.

    There's one other United Artists film, LOVE HAPPY, which was just released
    on DVD by Artisan (since UA was exclusively a distributor back then, rather
    than a studio, the rights to the various films they released go to several
    different hands). This isn't a true Marx Brothers film, though, as it was
    primarily a vehicle for Harpo, with Groucho and Chico appearing in it as
    support.

    One last film, THE STORY OF MANKIND, isn't really a Marx Brothers film,
    either. The Marxes aren't the stars, nor do they even appear in their
    segments together. This was originally released by Warner, and they
    still hold the rights. I'd be surprised if they bothered to release it
    on DVD, though. It's not very good.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Spookshow

    Stefan Guest

    The first five movies (The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers,
    Monkey Business, Duck Soup) were made by Paramount and are now owned
    by Universal. They will be released on DVD in the USA in November, and
    have already been available in Europe and Australia.
    The next movies were made by MGM (A Night at the Opera, A Day at the
    Races, At the Circus, Go West, The Big Store) and are now owned by
    Warner who have released a box set and some single DVDs in May in the
    US and will release it in the UK in August. They have also included
    "Room Service" (not UK) and "A Night in Casablanca"
    The last movie "Love Happy" has also been released last month.

    List of all DVD releases:
    http://www.marx-brothers.org/watching/dvd.htm

    Stefan
    http://www.marx-brothers.org

    Stefan, Jul 20, 2004
  9. jayembee wrote:

    >>Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
    >>the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
    >>should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?

    > I think you're confused. The "exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases"
    > are not Universal releases. They were from Image Entertainment, who licensed
    > the films from Universal, and are exhorbitantly priced because they have been
    > OOP for a couple of years.

    And given that confusion, the only reason the OP may have found the
    Images "exhorbitant" was that he tried to get them on Ebay.

    Derek Janssen (wellll...now you don't have to!)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Spookshow

    Bill Coleman Guest

    The UK Universal Box (which I picked up last year)
    does not include Cocoanuts. I'm hoping Universal US
    will also be releasing these discs individually.

    Bill Coleman

    ==============================

    Bill Coleman, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Spookshow

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <>, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    > says...

    (snip)
    > One last film, THE STORY OF MANKIND, isn't really a Marx Brothers film,
    > either. The Marxes aren't the stars, nor do they even appear in their
    > segments together. This was originally released by Warner, and they
    > still hold the rights. I'd be surprised if they bothered to release it
    > on DVD, though. It's not very good.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    It was produced by Irwin Allen, he of later disaster-movie fame and fortune,
    and has been referred to as "a horror of a comedy" by Joe Adamson, who also
    noted (in his superb "Groucho, Harpo, Chico and sometimes Zeppo"): "Allen
    hired all three Marx Brothers and then didn't have the sense to put them in
    the same scene together". At the time of its making, 1957, the Marxes were
    all close to 70, and as Adamson says about "Love Happy": "God never meant
    for sixty-two-year old Marx Brothers to make movies". Even less so eight
    years later.
    The Marxes appeared for the very last time on screen together in a 1959
    episode of TV's "G-E Theatre" entitled "The Great Jewel Robbery". And here
    it's worth quoting from Adamson again: "It was a totaly wordless Harpo and
    Chico story for twenty-five minutes, the Groucho made a surprise entrance at
    the end and said, 'We aren't talking til we see our lawyer'. Harpo gave
    Groucho his leg, Groucho gave Chico his leg, and the 'You Bet Your Life'
    duck came out of the sky with an 'End' title. And it was all over."
    After that, various plans were mooted to get them together yet again--
    apparently Billy Wilder wanted to make a "United Nations current-events
    comedy" with them (the mind boggles)-- but nothing came of it. And then
    Chico brought that to an end by inconveniently dying. Pretty hard to top
    that as a career-ending move.

    G. M. Watson, Jul 22, 2004
  12. G. M. Watson wrote:

    > At the time of its making, 1957, the Marxes were
    > all close to 70, and as Adamson says about "Love Happy": "God never meant
    > for sixty-two-year old Marx Brothers to make movies". Even less so eight
    > years later.
    > After that, various plans were mooted to get them together yet again--
    > apparently Billy Wilder wanted to make a "United Nations current-events
    > comedy" with them (the mind boggles)-- but nothing came of it.

    Not necessarily "nothing"--
    In 1959-60, I'm guessing Wilder's Marx-like "UN current-events comedy"
    eventually transmogrified into "One, Two, Three", but Cagney was
    funnier. :)

    Derek Janssen (besides, adding the Marxes to an IAL Diamond script is
    like putting too much ketchup on a steak)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 23, 2004