    movies on 5 discs? Are they double-sided? It might not leave much room for
    extras...

    Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs
    Curtin/Dobbs, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Curtin/Dobbs

    jayembee Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote:

    > Received this teaser from Variety.com:
    >
    > -------------------------
    > MARX BROS. PRESSED INTO SERVICE ON DVD
    >
    > Maltin records new commentary for 'Night at the Opera'
    >
    > Warner Home Video will release seven classic Marx Brothers
    > movies for the first time on DVD, with the five discs due
    > out May 4.
    > -------------------------
    >
    > I'm not a paid subscriber any longer to Variety.com, so I
    > can't access the article to find out what the 7 titles are
    > and what the special features are. Besides 'Night at the
    > Opera,' what are the other 6 titles?

    Well, I'm not a VARIETY subscriber, either, so I can't check
    out the article myself. But since it's Warner that's releasing
    it, I would assume that the set includes the seven titles
    Warner owns, which are:

    (1) A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
    (2) A DAY AT THE RACES
    (3) ROOM SERVICE
    (4) AT THE CIRCUS
    (5) GO WEST
    (6) THE BIG STORE
    (7) A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA

    The five films prior to A NIGHT AT THE OPERA -- THE COCOANUTS,
    ANIMAL CRACKERS MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS, and DUCK
    SOUP -- are Paramount titles owned by Universal. The one
    after A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA -- LOVE HAPPY -- is owned by
    Republic/Artisan.

    Warner also owns what is technically the "last" Marx Bros.
    film, THE STORY OF MANKIND, though it's not consider in
    their oeuvre, because they (a) aren't the stars, and (b)
    don't appear together in it. It's also not a comedy (at
    least, not intentionally).

    > And why are 7 movies on 5 discs? Are they double-sided?
    > It might not leave much room for extras...

    OPERA and RACES excepted, they're all under 90 minutes
    each, which means that two of them could fit reasonably
    comfortably on a DVD-9 (single-sided, double-layered).
    In fact, one possible breakdown for the set would be:

    (1) A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, with specific extras for the film.
    (2) A DAY AT THE RACES, with specific extras for the film.
    (3) ROOM SERVICE / AT THE CIRCUS
    (4) GO WEST / THE BIG STORE
    (5) A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA, plus general extras on the Marx
    Bros. and their films.

    (Nota bene: I'm not saying that this is the way they break
    down. I'm just suggesting one possibility.)

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Curtin/Dobbs

    AAbrams0264 Guest

    << what the 7 titles are >>

    Well, without doing any delving, since it's a WB release, they have the rights
    to: "Night at the Opera", "Day at the Races," "At the Circus", "Go West", "The
    Big Store"
    and "Room Service" . Maybe the 7th is "A Night in Casablanca" -- it's
    distributed by Castle Hill and I think they have a WB connection.
    AAbrams0264, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Curtin/Dobbs

    jayembee Guest

    ojunk (AAbrams0264) wrote:

    > Maybe the 7th is "A Night in Casablanca" -- it's distributed
    > by Castle Hill and I think they have a WB connection.

    Well, Warner released it on VHS about five years ago, which
    is why I assumed that they owned the rights (at least, the
    video distribution rights) to it, and suggested it as the
    likely seventh film in the set.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 30, 2004
  5. jayembee wrote:

    >>Maybe the 7th is "A Night in Casablanca" -- it's distributed
    >>by Castle Hill and I think they have a WB connection.

    > Well, Warner released it on VHS about five years ago, which
    > is why I assumed that they owned the rights (at least, the
    > video distribution rights) to it, and suggested it as the
    > likely seventh film in the set.

    So, is it from MGM's library (and Warner's jurisdiction) or not?

    (And keeping in mind Warner's history with the movie, Groucho's point
    must be emphasized that, yes, the Marxes *were* using "Brothers" long
    before the Warners were...) :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Curtin/Dobbs

    Card53 Guest

    >>>Maybe the 7th is "A Night in Casablanca" -- it's distributed
    >>>by Castle Hill and I think they have a WB connection.

    >> Well, Warner released it on VHS about five years ago, which
    >> is why I assumed that they owned the rights (at least, the
    >> video distribution rights) to it, and suggested it as the
    >> likely seventh film in the set.

    >So, is it from MGM's library (and Warner's jurisdiction) or not?
    >
    >(And keeping in mind Warner's history with the movie, Groucho's point
    >must be emphasized that, yes, the Marxes *were* using "Brothers" long
    >before the Warners were...) :)
    >
    >Derek Janssen

    To settle any uncertainty once and for all, the collection will include:

    A Night at the Opera
    A Day at the Races
    Room Service
    At the Circus
    Go West
    The Big Store
    A Night in Casablanca

    John Larrabee
    Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
    http://laurelandhardycentral.com

    (To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")
    Card53, Jan 31, 2004
  7. Curtin/Dobbs

    jayembee Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > jayembee wrote:
    >

    >>> Maybe the 7th is "A Night in Casablanca" -- it's distributed
    >>> by Castle Hill and I think they have a WB connection.

    >> Well, Warner released it on VHS about five years ago, which
    >> is why I assumed that they owned the rights (at least, the
    >> video distribution rights) to it, and suggested it as the
    >> likely seventh film in the set.

    > So, is it from MGM's library (and Warner's jurisdiction) or not?

    No, it's not from MGM's library. It was originally a United
    Artists release, and ownership issues get really tangled
    when it comes to UA.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 31, 2004
  8. On 31 Jan 2004 03:06:25 GMT, ixspam (Card53) wrote:

    >To settle any uncertainty once and for all, the collection will include:
    >
    >A Night at the Opera
    >A Day at the Races
    >Room Service
    >At the Circus
    >Go West
    >The Big Store
    >A Night in Casablanca

    Thank you for this...any knowledge if the previous released issues
    will have been remastered....or is this about the best we're going to
    get.

    Thanks
    Richard S. Foster, Jan 31, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    jayembee <> wrote:
    > (AAbrams0264) wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe the 7th is "A Night in Casablanca" -- it's distributed
    >> by Castle Hill and I think they have a WB connection.

    >Well, Warner released it on VHS about five years ago, which
    >is why I assumed that they owned the rights (at least, the
    >video distribution rights) to it, and suggested it as the
    >likely seventh film in the set.

    Rather ironic. When the film was made, Warner sent a cease and desist
    letter, claiming ownership of "Casablanca" for title purposes. Groucho
    sent back a scathing reply threatening to countersue, since the Marx Bros.
    had been using "Brothers" for years before the Warners...
    --
    "The Pseudo Politically Correct term that I would use to describe the mind set
    of postmodernism is "epistemologically challenged": a constitutional inability
    Michael Alan Chary, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Curtin/Dobbs

    jayembee Guest

    Richard S. Foster <> wrote:

    > ixspam (Card53) wrote:
    >
    >>To settle any uncertainty once and for all, the collection will include:
    >>
    >>A Night at the Opera
    >>A Day at the Races
    >>Room Service
    >>At the Circus
    >>Go West
    >>The Big Store
    >>A Night in Casablanca

    >Thank you for this...any knowledge if the previous released issues
    >will have been remastered....or is this about the best we're going to
    >get.

    I'm not clear on what you're asking. None of the above-listed films
    have been released before on DVD (except for a Region 4 edition of A
    NIGHT IN CASABLANCA).

    Are you perhaps wondering if the five movies that had been previously
    released on DVD, and are now out of print, are going to be reissued?

    Universal hasn't made any announcement about them, but I would assume
    that they are (hopefully) working on restoring them.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Curtin/Dobbs

    Otter Guest

    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-01-29-marx-bros_x.htm

    The Marx Brothers are romping to DVD in fine style. The Marx Brothers
    Collection, a five-disc set, comes to DVD May 4 with seven films from
    the second half of the top comedy team's movie career, including their
    masterpiece A Night at the Opera.

    "We wanted them out with an irresistible price ($59.92 for seven
    movies) so that people will buy the whole collection," says George
    Feltenstein, Warner Bros.' senior vice president for classic catalog.
    "We've got to get the new generation hooked on their timeless humor.
    This has been a high priority for a long time. There are new
    documentaries for A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, and
    we've loaded up every disc with classic cartoons and shorts from the
    same year as each movie. The last time the movies themselves looked
    this spiffy was probably when they first came out."

    The three most highly regarded movies in the set, Opera (1935), Races
    (1937) and A Night in Casablanca (1946), also are being sold as
    individual DVDs.

    Note to fans of the early Marx Brothers: Universal, which now owns the
    first five Marx Brothers movies (including the peerless Duck Soup),
    has no plans to release them on DVD.

    ****

    ....and as I was pasting this I remembered we have a temp subscription
    to Variety:

    Warner Home Video will release seven classic Marx Brothers movies for
    the first time on DVD, with the five discs due out May 4.

    Centerpiece of the collection is "A Night at the Opera." The 1935
    production is the first Marx Brothers movie for which Warner owns
    distribution rights through its MGM library. It also was one of the
    original 13 films released on videocassette by MGM.

    Leonard Maltin, who recorded an audio commentary for the movie on
    laserdisc, has recorded a new commentary for the DVD, while "The Marx
    Brothers Encyclopedia" author Glenn Mitchell provides audio commentary
    for "A Day at the Races" (1937). Both films also feature an original
    documentary about the Marx Brothers.

    Those two movies and "A Night in Casablanca" (1946) will be available
    on separate discs. The other two discs will feature two movies apiece,
    pairing "Room Service" (1938) with "At the Circus" (1939) and "Go
    West" (1940) with "The Big Store" (1941).

    Each disc includes an assortment of vintage MGM shorts of the era and
    other bonus features.

    WHV senior veep of classic catalog George Feltenstein said although
    each disc can be purchased separately at a suggested per-disc price of
    $19.97, the studio priced the entire package at $59.92 to encourage
    collectors to own all seven films.

    The earliest Marx Brothers movies -- "The Cocoanuts," "Animal
    Crackers," "Monkey Business," "Horse Feathers" and "Duck Soup" -- were
    produced at Paramount Studios and are now the property of Universal
    Studios, which is considering releasing a DVD collection of them later
    this year to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the release of
    "Cocoanuts" in 1929.

    Image Entertainment previously released those five titles on DVD in
    the late 1990s through a licensing agreement with U that expired in
    2000. The titles have not been available since then.

    -Otter
    Otter, Feb 1, 2004
  12. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 05:33:37 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >Richard S. Foster <> wrote:
    >
    >> ixspam (Card53) wrote:
    >>
    >>>To settle any uncertainty once and for all, the collection will include:
    >>>
    >>>A Night at the Opera
    >>>A Day at the Races
    >>>Room Service
    >>>At the Circus
    >>>Go West
    >>>The Big Store
    >>>A Night in Casablanca

    >>Thank you for this...any knowledge if the previous released issues
    >>will have been remastered....or is this about the best we're going to
    >>get.

    >I'm not clear on what you're asking. None of the above-listed films
    >have been released before on DVD (except for a Region 4 edition of A
    >NIGHT IN CASABLANCA).

    They've all been issued on laserdisc, and those masters for all except
    "Room Service" and "Casablanca" were supposed to have been "Digitally
    mastered" and actually look pretty good. I suspect however, that
    using their usual quality standards, they will pass them through a
    scanner again, maybe even go to the sound stems for true stereo on the
    music numbers, as has been their policy since the massive
    vault-clearing of the 90's.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 1, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    jayembee <> wrote:
    >Richard S. Foster <> wrote:
    >
    >> ixspam (Card53) wrote:
    >>
    >>>To settle any uncertainty once and for all, the collection will include:
    >>>
    >>>A Night at the Opera
    >>>A Day at the Races
    >>>Room Service
    >>>At the Circus
    >>>Go West
    >>>The Big Store
    >>>A Night in Casablanca

    >>Thank you for this...any knowledge if the previous released issues
    >>will have been remastered....or is this about the best we're going to
    >>get.

    >I'm not clear on what you're asking. None of the above-listed films
    >have been released before on DVD (except for a Region 4 edition of A
    >NIGHT IN CASABLANCA).
    >
    >Are you perhaps wondering if the five movies that had been previously
    >released on DVD, and are now out of print, are going to be reissued?
    >
    >Universal hasn't made any announcement about them, but I would assume
    >that they are (hopefully) working on restoring them.

    I'm buying thesemovies, andhoping Universal decides they want to make
    money too.
    Michael Alan Chary, Feb 1, 2004
  14. Curtin/Dobbs

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Otter wrote:

    > http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-01-29-marx-bros_x.htm
    >
    > The Marx Brothers are romping to DVD in fine style. The Marx Brothers
    > Collection, a five-disc set, comes to DVD May 4 with seven films from
    > the second half of the top comedy team's movie career, including their
    > masterpiece A Night at the Opera.
    >
    > "We wanted them out with an irresistible price ($59.92 for seven
    > movies) so that people will buy the whole collection," says George
    > Feltenstein, Warner Bros.' senior vice president for classic catalog.
    > "We've got to get the new generation hooked on their timeless humor.
    > This has been a high priority for a long time. There are new
    > documentaries for A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, and
    > we've loaded up every disc with classic cartoons and shorts from the
    > same year as each movie. The last time the movies themselves looked
    > this spiffy was probably when they first came out."
    >
    > The three most highly regarded movies in the set, Opera (1935), Races
    > (1937) and A Night in Casablanca (1946), also are being sold as
    > individual DVDs.
    >
    > Note to fans of the early Marx Brothers: Universal, which now owns the
    > first five Marx Brothers movies (including the peerless Duck Soup),
    > has no plans to release them on DVD.

    Well lets hope that this box set is a big enough seller that it will
    inspire Universal to finally release the Marx Brothers first five films
    as well.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Curtin/Dobbs

    Bill Guest

    > Well lets hope that this box set is a big enough seller that it will
    > inspire Universal to finally release the Marx Brothers first five films
    > as well.
    >
    > ALV

    Their five Paramount films, from "The Cocoanuts" to "Duck Soup," were
    released on DVD by Image Entertainment several years ago. They have been
    discontinued, but may still be available through sources such as Ebay.
    Bill, Feb 1, 2004
  16. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:48:50 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >> Well lets hope that this box set is a big enough seller that it will
    >> inspire Universal to finally release the Marx Brothers first five films
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> ALV
    >>

    >Their five Paramount films, from "The Cocoanuts" to "Duck Soup," were
    >released on DVD by Image Entertainment several years ago. They have been
    >discontinued, but may still be available through sources such as Ebay.

    Yah, and have you liked at the prices they're fetching?!

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 1, 2004
  17. Curtin/Dobbs

    Bill Coleman Guest

    Save your money. Buy a multi-region DVD player and then get the 4-DVD
    set that came out a few months ago in UK. You miss Cocoanuts, but the
    others are all there for a quite reasonable price. And the multi-region
    player
    will come in handy for a lot of other titles as well.

    Bill Coleman

    ---------------

    Bill Coleman, Feb 1, 2004
  18. Curtin/Dobbs

    Arch Stanton Guest

    Indeed, the UK Box set is great ( you can also get them individually in
    the Benelux). And if you're a fan of classic comedy, look out for the
    Laurel and Hardy box sets coming out in Benelux soon! ALL the sound
    shorts, remastered in a nice box for aroun 70 euros...followed a few
    months later by all the classic feature films! You may still also be
    able to pick up the Universal Classic Monsters DVDs with all the extras
    as well..

    Arch Stanton, Feb 2, 2004