    That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial period
    runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 23, 2004

  2. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it
    > with no further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >
    > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial
    > period runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Did you just pull this "news" out of your ass, or do you have a source? :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jan 23, 2004

  3. E. Scrooge

    L33T Guest

    wow. if you squint while reading it it could almost be funny.

    L33T, Jan 23, 2004
  4. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial period
    > runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.

    If they had got there a little quicker, the trial period wouldn't have
    run out already...

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 23, 2004
  5. E. Scrooge

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:13:52 +1300, E. Scroogeremove eye wrote:

    > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it with no
    > further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >
    > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial period
    > runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I prefer the life on mars theory. They are up there, they know what we are
    like and don't want anything to do with us.
    Thats two probes the martians have knocked off this week.
    Warwick, Jan 23, 2004
  6. E. Scrooge

    collector@ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it with no
    > further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >
    > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial period
    > runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Nah, They used EverReady batteries and they have gone flat far too quickly.
    collector@, Jan 23, 2004
  7. E. Scrooge

    GraB Guest

    < (remove eye)> wrote:

    >The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    >beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it with no
    >further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >
    >That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial period
    >runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I have had a crack come unstuck and suddenly be told that the prog has
    expired. Perhaps it was the same here.
    GraB, Jan 23, 2004
  8. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    > > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it
    > > with no further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    > > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial
    > > period runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.
    > > E. Scrooge

    > Did you just pull this "news" out of your ass, or do you have a source? :)

    Now THATS funny......you were joking right????????????????

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Jan 23, 2004
  9. E. Scrooge

    Lebowski Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message
    > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it with

    no
    > further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >
    > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial

    period
    > runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.

    Ah well, looks like NASA will be taking a little trip down to astalavista..
    Lebowski, Jan 23, 2004
  10. E. Scrooge

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:35:05 +1300, Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    >> > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it
    >> > with no further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >> > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial
    >> > period runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.
    >> > E. Scrooge

    >> Did you just pull this "news" out of your ass, or do you have a source? :)
    >>

    > Now THATS funny......you were joking right????????????????

    So you have the source. Care to share it.

    Gordon, Jan 24, 2004
  11. E. Scrooge

    techie Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:13:52 -0600, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    > beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it
    > with no further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >
    > That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial
    > period runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.

    "Your Windows product needs to be re-activated. Please call our 1-800
    number with the number that is on the registration sticker affixed to
    the bottom of the machine..."
    techie, Jan 24, 2004
  12. E. Scrooge

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Jan 24, 2004
  13. E. Scrooge

    techie Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:59:25 -0600, Max Burke wrote:

    >> techie scribbled:

    > It is using a real-time operating system (RTOS) called VxWorks by Wind
    > River Systems

    I don't buy it. The Mars Rover had to reboot 60 times yesterday. Only
    one OS has that characteristic.
    techie, Jan 24, 2004
  14. techie wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:59:25 -0600, Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >>> techie scribbled:

    >> It is using a real-time operating system (RTOS) called VxWorks by
    >> Wind River Systems

    > I don't buy it. The Mars Rover had to reboot 60 times yesterday. Only
    > one OS has that characteristic.

    Looks like it's a fault in the flash memory used:
    Latest report from
    http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040124a.html

    "Spirit has 256 megabytes of flash memory, a type commonly used on gear such
    as digital cameras for holding data even when the power is off. Engineers
    confirmed this morning that Spirit's recent symptoms are related to the
    flash memory when they commanded the rover to boot up and utilize its
    random-access memory instead of flash memory. The rover then obeyed commands
    about communicating and going into sleep mode. Spirit communicated
    successfully at 120 bits per second for nearly an hour.

    "We have a vehicle that is stable in power and thermal, and we have a
    working hypothesis we have confirmed," Theisinger said. By commanding Spirit
    each morning into a mode that avoids using flash memory, engineers plan to
    get it to communicate at a higher data rate, to diagnose the root cause of
    the problem and develop ways to restore as much functioning as possible. "

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Jan 25, 2004
  15. E. Scrooge

    GraB Guest

    >Looks like it's a fault in the flash memory used:
    >Latest report from
    >http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040124a.html
    >
    >"Spirit has 256 megabytes of flash memory, a type commonly used on gear such
    >as digital cameras for holding data even when the power is off. Engineers
    >confirmed this morning that Spirit's recent symptoms are related to the
    >flash memory when they commanded the rover to boot up and utilize its
    >random-access memory instead of flash memory. The rover then obeyed commands
    >about communicating and going into sleep mode. Spirit communicated
    >successfully at 120 bits per second for nearly an hour.

    So it obviously isn't on cable.

    GraB, Jan 25, 2004
  16. GraB wrote:
    >> Looks like it's a fault in the flash memory used:
    >> Latest report from
    >> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040124a.html
    >>
    >> "Spirit has 256 megabytes of flash memory, a type commonly used on
    >> gear such as digital cameras for holding data even when the power is
    >> off. Engineers confirmed this morning that Spirit's recent symptoms
    >> are related to the flash memory when they commanded the rover to
    >> boot up and utilize its random-access memory instead of flash
    >> memory. The rover then obeyed commands about communicating and going
    >> into sleep mode. Spirit communicated successfully at 120 bits per
    >> second for nearly an hour.

    > So it obviously isn't on cable.
    >
    >> "We have a vehicle that is stable in power and thermal, and we have a
    >> working hypothesis we have confirmed," Theisinger said. By
    >> commanding Spirit each morning into a mode that avoids using flash
    >> memory, engineers plan to get it to communicate at a higher data
    >> rate, to diagnose the root cause of the problem and develop ways to
    >> restore as much functioning as possible. "
    >>
    >> Russell

    no, but it's as fast as a Jetstream connection doing p2p
    (when Xtra throttle it)

    :)
    Russell Smithies, Jan 25, 2004
  17. E. Scrooge

    Tim Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    > GraB wrote:
    >>> Looks like it's a fault in the flash memory used:
    >>> Latest report from
    >>> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040124a.html
    >>>
    >>> "Spirit has 256 megabytes of flash memory, a type commonly used on
    >>> gear such as digital cameras for holding data even when the power is
    >>> off. Engineers confirmed this morning that Spirit's recent symptoms
    >>> are related to the flash memory when they commanded the rover to
    >>> boot up and utilize its random-access memory instead of flash
    >>> memory. The rover then obeyed commands about communicating and going
    >>> into sleep mode. Spirit communicated successfully at 120 bits per
    >>> second for nearly an hour.

    >> So it obviously isn't on cable.
    >>
    >>> "We have a vehicle that is stable in power and thermal, and we have a
    >>> working hypothesis we have confirmed," Theisinger said. By
    >>> commanding Spirit each morning into a mode that avoids using flash
    >>> memory, engineers plan to get it to communicate at a higher data
    >>> rate, to diagnose the root cause of the problem and develop ways to
    >>> restore as much functioning as possible. "
    >>>
    >>> Russell

    > no, but it's as fast as a Jetstream connection doing p2p
    > (when Xtra throttle it)
    >
    >:)

    http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040123d.html

    "Shortly before noon, controllers were surprised to receive a relay of
    data from Spirit via the Mars Odyssey orbiter. Spirit sent 73 megabits at
    a rate of 128 kilobits per second."

    Who said anything about throttling ;)

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Jan 26, 2004
  18. "techie" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:13:52 -0600, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the software
    >> beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to unlock it
    >> with no further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >>
    >> That's what happens when using shareware software once the free trial
    >> period runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.

    > "Your Windows product needs to be re-activated. Please call our 1-800
    > number with the number that is on the registration sticker affixed to
    > the bottom of the machine..."

    They drive the golfcart with Java not Windows...
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 26, 2004
  19. E. Scrooge

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > "techie" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:13:52 -0600, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Rover sent a mesage back to NASA - "To continue using the
    >>> software beyond the expiry date you'll need to purchase the code to
    >>> unlock it with no further limitations at a cost of $19.95".
    >>>
    >>> That's what happens when using shareware software once the free
    >>> trial period runs out - one Mars explorer reduced to space junk.

    >> "Your Windows product needs to be re-activated. Please call our 1-800
    >> number with the number that is on the registration sticker affixed to
    >> the bottom of the machine..."

    > They drive the golfcart with Java not Windows...

    LOL, can't say I blame them thinking of the above scenario.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2004
  20. In article <1H3Rb.24004$>,
    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >They drive the golfcart with Java not Windows...

    Is that why it has to come to a stop every now and then, to do RAM
    garbage collection...?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2004