Mars rover memory

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alister F, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Alister F

    Alister F Guest

    Alister F, Feb 2, 2004

  2. In article <401e00f6$>, Alister F <>
    wrote:

    >A good description of Spirit's memory problems
    >http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040201a.html

    "Onboard software was having difficulty managing the flash memory", but
    they were able to cure the problem by "deleting thousands of files from
    the rover's flash memory". And "To be safe, we want to reformat the
    flash and start again with a clean slate".

    What does that sound like to you? Filesystem corruption in the flash
    memory, caused by running low on free space? No mention of actual bug
    fixes to the software.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <401e00f6$>, Alister F <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> A good description of Spirit's memory problems
    >> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040201a.html

    > "Onboard software was having difficulty managing the flash memory",
    > but they were able to cure the problem by "deleting thousands of
    > files from the rover's flash memory". And "To be safe, we want to
    > reformat the flash and start again with a clean slate".
    >
    > What does that sound like to you? Filesystem corruption in the flash
    > memory, caused by running low on free space? No mention of actual bug
    > fixes to the software.

    You can't "bugfix" not having enough memory to handle the number of files on
    a flashcard. The only bugfix is less files or more memory.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Alister F

    Lonney Guest

    Probably coz it uses the FAT file system, crashed and busted the FAT table
    haha.

    Lonney, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Alister F wrote:
    > A good description of Spirit's memory problems
    > http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040201a.html

    heh.. format, re-install.
    "To be safe, we want to reformat the flash and start again with a clean
    slate," Adler said. That reformatting is planned for Monday. It will
    erase everything stored in the flash file system and install a clean
    version of the flight software.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Alister F

    Alden Bates Guest

    Alden Bates, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Suddenly, Alister F sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > A good description of Spirit's memory problems
    > http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040201a.html

    Gee, you'd think they might have tested this situation.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Alister F

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in

    > You can't "bugfix" not having enough memory to handle the number of
    > files on a flashcard. The only bugfix is less files or more memory.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    I thought they would recode for more file handles, but I guess they will
    just make sure the number stays below the threshold.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Alister F

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Alister F

    L33T Guest

    L33T, Feb 3, 2004
  11. In article <bvm46e$n2d$>,
    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <401e00f6$>, Alister F <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A good description of Spirit's memory problems
    >>> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20040201a.html

    >> "Onboard software was having difficulty managing the flash memory",
    >> but they were able to cure the problem by "deleting thousands of
    >> files from the rover's flash memory". And "To be safe, we want to
    >> reformat the flash and start again with a clean slate".
    >>
    >> What does that sound like to you? Filesystem corruption in the flash
    >> memory, caused by running low on free space? No mention of actual bug
    >> fixes to the software.

    >You can't "bugfix" not having enough memory to handle the number of files on
    >a flashcard.

    You can bugfix not corrupting the files that are already there.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Alister F

    Bok Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > "Onboard software was having difficulty managing the flash memory", but
    > they were able to cure the problem by "deleting thousands of files from
    > the rover's flash memory". And "To be safe, we want to reformat the
    > flash and start again with a clean slate".
    >
    > What does that sound like to you? Filesystem corruption in the flash
    > memory, caused by running low on free space?

    In their defence (tounge in cheek) ::
    If the file system [meta data] were corrupted, then it is unlikely that
    deleting thousands of files would a) be possible in the first place or
    b) correct the problem. It could simply be that when it reached some
    [contiguous] free-space threshold, file [extent] allocations started
    failing. It is also possible that the default action for O/S or
    'application' task exceptions of this nature is to reset or reboot.

    Deleting thousands of files may have given them enough headroom to
    continue operating without experiencing continual reboots. The proposed
    option to reformat and start from a clean slate, may be because they are
    concerned about the possibility of excessive file or file system
    fragmentation (and they didn't build in a defrag capability :))

    Bok, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Alister F

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:12:00 +1300, Alden Bates <>
    wrote:

    >They weren't counting on it going on the net and downloading massive
    >amounts of porn while it was idle.

    I wonder if they're running SETI on it?

    Dogg, Feb 4, 2004
  14. Dogg wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:12:00 +1300, Alden Bates <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> They weren't counting on it going on the net and downloading massive
    >> amounts of porn while it was idle.
    >>

    > I wonder if they're running SETI on it?

    nope,
    the AI has been playing Counterstrike!!

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Feb 4, 2004
  15. Russell Smithies wrote:
    >>>They weren't counting on it going on the net and downloading massive
    >>>amounts of porn while it was idle.

    >>I wonder if they're running SETI on it?

    > nope,
    > the AI has been playing Counterstrike!!

    so thats who that /\/\arz_r0\/3r is... I wondered how they could play
    with a 17000000000 ping.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman