    best ways to market virtual tours for Real Estate and other
    applications. Can anyone offer advice?
    Thanks -
    StarzShooter, Sep 24, 2003

  2. StarzShooter

    Tom Nelson Guest

    In article <>,
    StarzShooter <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have purchased a OneShot360 system from RemoteReality to create
    > Virtual Tours. I shoot with both a Nikon and a Sony. I am very happy
    > with this system and the quality of the tours. I am also very pleased
    > with the price, it was only $495! But, I am looking for advice on the
    > best ways to market virtual tours for Real Estate and other
    > applications. Can anyone offer advice?
    > Thanks -

    Homestore.com is an offshoot of the National Association of Realtors.
    They've contracted with iPix to license virtual tours using iPix
    technology. iPix is aggressively trying to enforce their patent on
    360-degree stitching technology using fisheye lenses. Here's a link:
    http://www.themaestro.net/DSP/Remap/remap.html
    iPix sells a 30-digit software key for each image, without which the
    software doesn't work.

    Homestore is recruiting photographers as Authorized Providers, and
    realtor.com has agreed to promote APs on their site. Unfortunately, the
    contract is a real horror. They estimate the size of the virtual tour
    market in your area. The contract binds you to buy that number of
    software keys each year, whether you use them or not, and prevents you
    from using them for anything but home tours or to carry them over to
    future years. The images are the property of Homestore. If you cancel
    your contract, you must immediately pay for the rest of that year's
    allotment of keys, without the right to use them.

    I'd advise you to call Realtors in your area and ask them a) if they're
    using virtual tours, b) if not, whether they'd like to start, and c) if
    they will buy tours from anyone but Homestore. I found Realtors to be
    pretty cheap. They wouldn't pop for a $100 4-view virtual tour even on
    a half-million-dollar house. One group of Realtors had their own iPix
    system and were doing their own tours.

    Other markets, which might be more amenable, are hotels, restaurants,
    resorts and architects. Sorry to be so discouraging, but I concluded
    that the real estate market was not worth the trouble.

    Tom Nelson
    Tom Nelson Photography
    Tom Nelson, Sep 24, 2003