    think
    > will inspire digital camera sales?

    Cheaper digital cameras?

    Charles Schuler, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Hi y'all

    Nah then - marketing strategies.

    In an earlier posting it seemed important to suggest (prompt?) that
    retailers offer a hire before you buy option. It seems sensible in helping
    a prosumer purchase kit they eventually are at ease with.

    It also gives high street retailers a way to combat discount online outlets
    and retain their own ciustomer base. Perhaps naively so?

    Possibly avoiding "returns" within trial period too - or at least limiting
    the numbers a bit and the subsequent hassle of having non-new newish goods
    to sell.

    So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all think
    will inspire digital camera sales?

    (I'll start the ball rolling in a mo')

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Charles Schuler

    chris French Guest

    In message <5ZiJc.195$>, Arte Phacting
    <> writes

    >So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all think
    >will inspire digital camera sales?

    Seeing as IDC reckons that digicam sales will grow by 40% in 2004 why
    would they need inspiring?
    --
    Chris French

    chris French, Jul 15, 2004
  4. i'll buy that for sure!

    But first a rule: can we agree that whatever the comment made or however
    outrageous the comment(s) appear to be that we do not pass judgement? Would
    that be OK?

    So if someone sez XYZ ought to reduce camera price by 60% = no negatiove
    reponses allowed. One concession though - if an opinion of previous comment
    is made its gorra be positive.

    Is this OK with everyone? <yep?> good!

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Charles Schuler

    Big Bill Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:10:10 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
    <> wrote:

    >i'll buy that for sure!
    >
    >But first a rule: can we agree that whatever the comment made or however
    >outrageous the comment(s) appear to be that we do not pass judgement? Would
    >that be OK?
    >
    >So if someone sez XYZ ought to reduce camera price by 60% = no negatiove
    >reponses allowed. One concession though - if an opinion of previous comment
    >is made its gorra be positive.
    >
    >Is this OK with everyone? <yep?> good!
    >
    >Artie

    No.
    You're asking for prior censorship.
    Not all ideas are worth of being immune from criticism.

    Now, if you could somehow get everyone to agree to *only* post
    reasonable, legitimate, well thought out comments, that would be
    something!

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Charles Schuler

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:03:29 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi y'all
    >
    >Nah then - marketing strategies.
    >
    >In an earlier posting it seemed important to suggest (prompt?) that
    >retailers offer a hire before you buy option. It seems sensible in helping
    >a prosumer purchase kit they eventually are at ease with.
    >
    >It also gives high street retailers a way to combat discount online outlets
    >and retain their own ciustomer base. Perhaps naively so?
    >
    >Possibly avoiding "returns" within trial period too - or at least limiting
    >the numbers a bit and the subsequent hassle of having non-new newish goods
    >to sell.
    >
    >So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all think
    >will inspire digital camera sales?
    >
    >(I'll start the ball rolling in a mo')
    >
    >Artie

    Most retailers already have an implied rental system in place, with
    little to no charge...
    You don't like it, they take it back.

    As for marketing, well, yeah, I've often wonderd about some marketing
    schemes.
    Take the current commercials asking about prints from digital cameras;
    "Where's the prints?"
    It seems that fewer and fewer peolle are having prints made from
    digital cameras. And for some good reasons; putting the images online
    in email or on web pages allows the photographer to have much more
    control over how the pics look, and to make sure they are 'passed
    around' more than just to people the photographer actually meets or
    specifically mails prints to.

    As for digital cameras, I wasn't aware that there was a marketing
    problem; growth has been good, and promises to only get better for the
    foreseeable future. The market is far from saturated, and many of the
    earlier adopters are in the market for upgrades.
    When the market matures, there will be more need for such harder
    marketing, ad there will also be much more data available on exactly
    what the buyers want; this will shape future marketing.
    See current marketing for automobiles for a comparison between an
    emerging market (digital cameras) and a mature market (autos).

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 15, 2004
  7. "Arte Phacting" <> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$>...
    > Hi y'all
    >
    > Nah then - marketing strategies.

    The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
    Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
    (superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
    the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
    a proprietary lens mount.

    Great deal for all involved:

    - Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.
    - Sigma gets many $thousands in lens sales over the life of the
    camera.

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 16, 2004

    Georgette Preddy, Jul 16, 2004
  9. Charles Schuler

    Crownfield Guest

    Georgette Preddy wrote:

    > "Arte Phacting" <> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$>...
    > > Hi y'all
    > >
    > > Nah then - marketing strategies.

    > The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
    > Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
    > (superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
    > the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
    > a proprietary lens mount.
    >
    > Great deal for all involved:
    >
    > - Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.

    you meant 10.3 MS.

    MP have to be spatially different in the image.

    Crownfield, Jul 17, 2004
  10. Crownfield <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Georgette Preddy wrote:
    > >
    > > "Arte Phacting" <> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$>...
    > > > Hi y'all
    > > >
    > > > Nah then - marketing strategies.

    > > The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
    > > Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
    > > (superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
    > > the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
    > > a proprietary lens mount.
    > >
    > > Great deal for all involved:
    > >
    > > - Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.

    > you meant 10.3 MS.
    >
    > MP have to be spatially different in the image.

    And full color to be considered a pixel.

    George Preddy, Jul 18, 2004