Market worth?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Nickolas, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Nickolas

    Nickolas Guest

    I would like to know people's thoughts and opinions on what my market
    worth will be to employers, also what type jobs I may be eligible
    given the experience I have, listed below and the certs I plan to
    obtain...please read below...

    Experience:
    1998-1999: Started as entry-level part-time computer operator in a
    Unix environment, running scripts, backups etc.

    1999-2000: Technical Support for end users of Dell, supporting
    hardware and OS of Desktop and Laptop PCs. Including, but not limited
    to, installation and configuring of Windows 95/98/ME, hardware, and
    light home networking.

    2000-2002: Helpdesk analyst for a company approx 500 employees large.
    This included supporting desktop and laptop PCs, Windows 98/2000/NT
    3.51/NT 4, login/domain issues, etc.

    2002-2003: 8 month contract doing conversions of field offices to
    Citrix. Included updating software (drivers, OS, etc) on field PCs,
    creating users in company DB, setting up Windows 2000 logins, setting
    permissions, etc for field users. Doing actual conversion of field
    office which was mostly DB work, but also included, converting email
    from legacy system, to web based application, making sure network
    protocols were, as they should be, etc. Involved with the development
    (from ground-up) of a test environment specifically for
    pseudo-conversions.

    2003-Present: Computer Operations for large stock brokerage firm.
    Nightly operations of a multi-server/multi-environment (Windows 2000
    Server/2003 Server) setting. Running backups (DLT), load monitoring,
    light server configuration (services, etc). Also includes occasional
    server reboots, HD swaps (RAID), etc. Heavy use of SQL Server, using
    the QA client as a large part of job requires running queries for
    different reasons. Worked closely with network engineers, BAs, and
    app developers to improve efficiency, fix operational issues, etc.

    I plan to first get my MCSA, and then fill in to get my MCSE. After
    which I plan to take my CCNA.

    What kind of position should I expect to pursue, given my experience
    and certification I will have?

    Nickolas, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Nickolas

    T-Bone Guest

    "Nickolas" <> wrote
    > I would like to know people's thoughts and opinions on what my market
    > worth will be to employers, also what type jobs I may be eligible
    > given the experience I have, listed below and the certs I plan to
    > obtain...please read below...

    I would go the other way. What kind of job do you think you would like? Then
    see if your experiences matches, or take an entry level job for that
    position. In today's market jobs are scare, so you really have to go with
    something you like doing.

    Aside from general hardware work, it looks like you have some database
    experience? That might be a good possibility. Plus database admin jobs pay
    well, at least compared to other tech jobs.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Nickolas

    Mark Guest

    Go to monster.com and compare what employers are looking for against your
    qualifications. Location, education, economy, experience, employer
    requirement, security clearance, background... in other words. It's like any
    other job.

    Mark, Dec 10, 2004