Market Dominance and the "You Will" Effect

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. I recently received an e-mail from a friend linking to a Web article
    about some innovative use of Intel's new 64-bit multicore processors in
    multimedia work. I wrote back to point out that AMD were the ones to
    invent the x86-64 architecture, Intel just copied it. Up until then, he
    had been under the impression that the AMD version of 64-bit was in some
    way inferior to the Intel version, having fewer registers or something.

    This, of course, is just another instance of the well-known phenomenon
    where the market leader in some field adopts an innovation originally
    pioneered by a smaller player, and popularizes it to the extent that
    they, not the pioneer, get credited with actually inventing the idea.
    Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType, and
    WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even the Web
    browser by now.

    A man named James Whistler once made a comment to Oscar Wilde that was
    witty enough that the latter responded "I wish I'd said that". To which
    Whistler replied "You will, Oscar, you will"
    <http://www.askoxford.com/pressroom/archive/saidthat/>. Showing that the
    same phenomenon was already known in the literary field over a century
    ago...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType, and
    > WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even the Web
    > browser by now.

    Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
    reasoning, through Dave Cutler...

    Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

    Stu Fleming, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    bok Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType,
    >> and WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even the
    >> Web browser by now.

    > Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
    > reasoning, through Dave Cutler...
    >
    > Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

    BSOD

    bok, Oct 3, 2005
  5. bok wrote:
    >>> Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType,
    >>> and WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even
    >>> the Web browser by now.

    >> Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
    >> reasoning, through Dave Cutler...
    >>
    >> Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

    > BSOD

    Kernel panic's were around long before Windows was invented

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 4, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >>> Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
    >>> reasoning, through Dave Cutler...
    >>>
    >>> Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

    >> BSOD

    >Kernel panic's were around long before Windows was invented

    See, the "You Will" effect strikes again. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >Kernel panic's were around long before Windows was invented

    .... but it was Microsoft who put them on every desktop. <g>

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Oct 4, 2005