Mark Russinovich on Windows 7 kernel architecture...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    If you haven't heard of this guy, we'll he's been around for a few years
    now. He started a company called Winternals, and the Systernals Windows
    utilities (which are still available at:
    http://www.systernals.com - I hope!) It redirects now to an MS page.
    Reason?: MS "bought" him (about three or four years ago I think).
    They're a big company, they headhunt genius's, and it's probably true to
    say that Mark Russinovich is one of 'em.

    The link below is to a wee video session, with Mark talking about the
    changes done to the kernel architecture of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.

    I think it's pretty interesting, so thought others may here may want to
    check it out.

    (PS: I don't believe he was ever a Linux guy - so this isn't about
    "stuff being nicked from Linux kernel source code" - although I'm sure
    that happens.)

    http://www.msteched.com/online/view.aspx?tid=8b2b7ae6-32be-42b9-8623-
    4a373b9e5295

    TinyURL:
    http://tinyurl.com/oyurg2

    It's about an hour and twenty long. *Do* hover over the wee video
    control at the bottom when it's running and click the fullscreen button.

    From the page:
    This session goes beneath the hood of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008
    R2 to describe and demonstrate the key changes in the kernel. Topics
    include: scalability improvements (such as removal of the global
    scheduler lock, support for more than 64 logical processors, and user
    mode scheduling), core parking and timer coalescing for power
    efficiency, trigger-started services, improved multi-function device
    support, core architecture changes to modularize Windows ("Minwin") and
    more.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2009

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...
    > If you haven't heard of this guy, we'll he's been around for a few years
    > now. He started a company called Winternals, and the Systernals Windows
    > utilities (which are still available at:
    > http://www.systernals.com - I hope!) It redirects now to an MS page.
    > Reason?: MS "bought" him (about three or four years ago I think).
    > They're a big company, they headhunt genius's, and it's probably true to
    > say that Mark Russinovich is one of 'em.
    >
    > The link below is to a wee video session, with Mark talking about the
    > changes done to the kernel architecture of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.
    >
    > I think it's pretty interesting, so thought others may here may want to
    > check it out.
    >
    > (PS: I don't believe he was ever a Linux guy - so this isn't about
    > "stuff being nicked from Linux kernel source code" - although I'm sure
    > that happens.)
    >
    > http://www.msteched.com/online/view.aspx?tid=8b2b7ae6-32be-42b9-8623-
    > 4a373b9e5295
    >
    > TinyURL:
    > http://tinyurl.com/oyurg2
    >
    > It's about an hour and twenty long. *Do* hover over the wee video
    > control at the bottom when it's running and click the fullscreen button.
    >
    > From the page:
    > This session goes beneath the hood of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008
    > R2 to describe and demonstrate the key changes in the kernel. Topics
    > include: scalability improvements (such as removal of the global
    > scheduler lock, support for more than 64 logical processors, and user
    > mode scheduling), core parking and timer coalescing for power
    > efficiency, trigger-started services, improved multi-function device
    > support, core architecture changes to modularize Windows ("Minwin") and
    > more.

    I can't believe I forgot to put my wee screenshot up - well here it is:

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/duncanm4/Clipboard04.jpg

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 20, 2009