    been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
    with it. :-(

    Rider
    Rider, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Rider

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:39:16 +1300, "Rider" <>
    wrote:

    >The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    >been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
    >with it. :-(
    >
    >Rider

    Only if you wish to go Insane..
    Tick Tock, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Rider

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <c23k19$pdm$>,
    says...
    > The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    > been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
    > with it. :-(

    You can get debian for a few bucks, what are you complaining about?
    Mainlander, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Rider

    Max Burke Guest

    Rider scribbled:

    > The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    > been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could
    > play with it. :-(
    >
    > Rider

    They supplied a Knoppix version early last year, but the they cut so much
    out of it to get it to fit on the CD it was crippled.

    It cant even recognise the nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Video Adapter properly
    that is installed on my P4...
    They really stuffed up a good oportunity there..

    As to this months article it's too full of 'Linux will save the world from
    Microsoft' crap to be much use as an intruduction to Linux let alone as
    advocacy for Linux as an alternative to Windows; Oh and the poor
    journalistic standards that cut and paste info from other sources to create
    articles for the magazine.

    Get the February issue of Australian PC authority. It has a 'run from a CD'
    version of Morphix that works well.....
    http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/

    They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
    Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there is
    no real need for me to change...
    Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
    USING Windows.

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:
    Max Burke, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Rider

    XPD Guest

    "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
    > They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
    > Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there is
    > no real need for me to change...
    > Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
    > USING Windows.

    Because you didnt have to sell your soul to MS to run it maybe ?
    XPD, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Max Burke wrote:
    > Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
    > USING Windows.

    For the freedom... not free as in beer, but free as in speech...
    hahah... sorry, couldn't help myself.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 3, 2004
  7. dmbkiwi wrote:
    > One word:
    > Security

    morphix auto logs on with an account with root priviledges... how is it
    more secure?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Rider

    dmbkiwi Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:29:02 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    > Rider scribbled:
    >
    >> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    >> been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could
    >> play with it. :-(
    >>
    >> Rider

    > They supplied a Knoppix version early last year, but the they cut so much
    > out of it to get it to fit on the CD it was crippled.
    >
    > It cant even recognise the nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Video Adapter properly
    > that is installed on my P4...
    > They really stuffed up a good oportunity there..
    >
    > As to this months article it's too full of 'Linux will save the world from
    > Microsoft' crap to be much use as an intruduction to Linux let alone as
    > advocacy for Linux as an alternative to Windows; Oh and the poor
    > journalistic standards that cut and paste info from other sources to create
    > articles for the magazine.
    >

    > Get the February issue of Australian PC authority. It has a 'run from a CD'
    > version of Morphix that works well.....
    > http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/
    >
    > They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
    > Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there is
    > no real need for me to change...
    > Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
    > USING Windows.

    One word:

    Security

    Matt
    dmbkiwi, Mar 3, 2004
  9. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Rider scribbled:
    >
    >> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would
    >> have been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so
    >> we could play with it. :-(
    >>
    >> Rider

    > They supplied a Knoppix version early last year, but the they cut so
    > much out of it to get it to fit on the CD it was crippled.
    >
    > It cant even recognise the nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Video Adapter
    > properly that is installed on my P4...
    > They really stuffed up a good oportunity there..

    It picked up and 'installed' drivers for a GF 2 MX 400 on one of my
    machines, ran sweet as a nut on all three (different) machines here
    actually. Even had them all networked to my XP server/firewall/DHCP
    server/internet connect machine with internet access. It was as simple as
    stick the CD in, reboot and a couple minutes later browsing the web with
    Knoppix.

    I was impresssed, even made copies of the disk.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 3, 2004
  10. Rider

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:39:16 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    > been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
    > with it. :-(

    Feel free to download one from the WWW.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our
    Lennier, Mar 3, 2004
  11. Rider

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Tick Tock" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:39:16 +1300, "Rider"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    > >been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could

    play
    > >with it. :-(
    > >
    > >Rider
    > >

    > Only if you wish to go Insane..

    cuckoo cuckoo there goes that damn clock again
    Craig Sutton, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Rider

    rural Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
    > been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
    > with it. :-(
    >
    > Rider

    Contact your local Linux user group.

    www.linux.net.nz has a list.
    rural, Mar 3, 2004
  13. Rider

    rural Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
    > USING Windows.

    Because what you can do with Linux won't be limited by what Microsoft
    allows to be done.

    If you aren't limited in any way today.....then no problem - today.

    But what about tomorrow?
    rural, Mar 3, 2004
  14. Rider

    Max Burke Guest

    > dmbkiwi scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >> Get the February issue of Australian PC authority. It has a 'run from a
    >> CD' version of Morphix that works well.....
    >> http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/
    >> They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
    >> Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there
    >> is no real need for me to change...
    >> Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're
    >> alreay USING Windows.

    > One word:
    > Security

    Already have that with a secure XP setup Matt....
    As Dave says this Morphix version runs with root access, which is why I
    didn't bother trying it on the internet.....

    Max Burke, Mar 3, 2004
  15. Rider

    harry Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> dmbkiwi scribbled:

    >>> Max Burke wrote:
    >>> Get the February issue of Australian PC authority. It has a 'run
    >>> from a CD' version of Morphix that works well.....
    >>> http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/
    >>> They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like
    >>> Windows; Everything I can do with this distro I already do with
    >>> Windows so there is no real need for me to change...
    >>> Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're
    >>> alreay USING Windows.

    >> One word:
    >> Security

    > Already have that with a secure XP setup Matt....
    > As Dave says this Morphix version runs with root access, which is why
    > I didn't bother trying it on the internet.....

    Morphix runs with user access
    harry, Mar 3, 2004
  16. Rider

    harry Guest

    rural wrote:
    > Rider wrote:
    >> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would
    >> have been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so
    >> we could play with it. :-(
    >>
    >> Rider

    > Contact your local Linux user group.
    >
    > www.linux.net.nz has a list.

    It would be nice to get a free copy of XP with each article so we could play
    with it too. :-(
    harry, Mar 3, 2004
  17. Rider

    harry Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > dmbkiwi wrote:
    >> One word:
    >> Security

    > morphix auto logs on with an account with root priviledges... how is
    > it more secure?

    It runs in ramdisk with no write access to the HD
    The user account doesn't have root privileges, it has sudo rights.
    harry, Mar 3, 2004
  18. Rider

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:22:15 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Max Burke wrote:
    >> Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're
    >> alreay USING Windows.

    > For the freedom... not free as in beer, but free as in speech... hahah...
    > sorry, couldn't help myself.

    Must... resist...<gasp> making... Free Willy joke....
    AD., Mar 3, 2004
  19. Rider

    Rider Guest

    I dont wan't to download the whole thing. I would have had a look at it if
    it had been on the cd but I'm not 'that' keen to play with it that I'd fork
    out money or use MB's. After all ... it is only Linux :)

    Rider
    Rider, Mar 3, 2004
  20. Rider

    myself Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:29:02 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    > Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're
    > alreay USING Windows.

    10,000 free applications, no spyware, no adware, no viruses, no trojans,
    no DRM, and you don't have to beg Big Brother for permission to use it.
    myself, Mar 3, 2004