Marantz DV9500 Universal Player Reviewed

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Naitze Teng, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Naitze Teng

    Naitze Teng Guest

    From the August edition of AudioVideoRevolution.com...

    Marantz DV9500 Universal Player

    Introduction

    The DV9500 is Marantz¹s latest universal disc player, situated at the top of
    their line. The player boasts an impressive set of features in both
    performance and convenience. At $2,099, the DV9500 is not cheap, but there
    is much to set it apart from the $300 universal disc players found at your
    local retailer. Upon lifting the box, I immediately noticed that the DV9500
    was a lot more substantial than most other single-disc transports at
    18-and-three-quarters pounds. Once I opened the box and removed the player,
    which measured a fairly standard 17-and-one-sixteenth inches wide by
    four-and-a-half inches tall by 15-and-one-eighth inches, it was apparent
    that a lot of effort went into making sure that the chassis was solid and
    free of resonant chatter.

    Some of the DV9500¹s numerous convenience features include the ability to
    read the following formats, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD-stereo and SACD
    multi-channel, DVD-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, SVCD, VCD, MP3 and JPEG discs. I think
    this should cover just about any five-inch disc format. While the player is
    technically called the DV9500 Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player, it is
    capable of outputting not only 480p, but also 1080i and 720p. This is a
    highly significant feature. The DV9500 has multiple video outputs, including
    HDCP compatible HDMI, Component Video, S-Video and Composite. On the audio
    side of things, the player can internally decode DTS (including DTS 96/24)
    and Dolby Digital, has adjustable lip synch delay, is the first single-disc
    player to feature Dolby Headphone, bass management and delay with DVD-Audio
    and SACD (SACD signals must be converted from DSD to utilized this feature).
    Other features include RS-232 and RC-5 connections.
    Table of Contents
    € Introduction and Set-up and Connection
    € Test Patterns and Movies and Music
    € Downsides and Conclusion
    € Associated Equipment
    € Software Used In Review
    € More DVD Player Reviews

    The DV9500¹s performance features include a chassis that¹s built upon a
    damped double layer bottom plate, which is designed to provide a stable
    platform for the transport mechanism and circuits. The transport is a new
    mechanism engineered to provide precise tracking. Marantz has provided a
    huge new feature ­ dual transformers to minimize channel-to-channel
    interference or cross talk. The analog audio circuits feature high current
    High Definition Audio Modules (HDAM) and a zero impedance copper grounding
    plate. The DACs are 192kHz/24-bit and true DSD processing is used for SACDs.
    Video performance is assisted by a 216MHz/14-bit video DAC and a separate
    10-bit video scaler with 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down. A special Noise Shaped video
    circuit is also incorporated to help minimize video noise.

    In short, this is a universal disc player with a scalable HDMI output that
    can handle just about every format and is designed to do so without
    compromise.

    Read the full review at:
    http://www.avrev.com/equip/marantzdv9500/

    Naitze Teng, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Naitze Teng

    Draven Guest

    "Naitze Teng" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > platform for the transport mechanism and circuits. The transport is a new
    > mechanism engineered to provide precise tracking. Marantz has provided a
    > huge new feature ­ dual transformers to minimize channel-to-channel
    > interference or cross talk. The analog audio circuits feature high current
    > High Definition Audio Modules (HDAM) and a zero impedance copper grounding
    > plate. The DACs are 192kHz/24-bit and true DSD processing is used for
    > SACDs.
    > Video performance is assisted by a 216MHz/14-bit video DAC and a separate
    > 10-bit video scaler with 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down. A special Noise Shaped
    > video
    > circuit is also incorporated to help minimize video noise.
    >
    > In short, this is a universal disc player with a scalable HDMI output that
    > can handle just about every format and is designed to do so without

    Does it handle DIVX?

    Draven, Aug 3, 2005