    We are moving off a Novell server and onto a microsoft one and want to
    know how to map all the users drives so for example all the users z
    drive points at the users data. Thanks for your help

    cromi, Sep 6, 2003

  2. cromi

    why? Guest

    On 5 Sep 2003 23:06:56 -0700, cromi wrote:

    >We are moving off a Novell server and onto a microsoft one and want to
    >know how to map all the users drives so for example all the users z
    >drive points at the users data. Thanks for your help

    RTFM(s) and setup a test server to work out the config / user and group
    rights first.

    Admin Tools / User Manager / <user account> / Profile , for NT4.
    Admin Tools / Computer Management / Local Users and Goups.

    Do it in the login script

    net use z: \\<server>\<path>\%username%
    sort of thing.

    Create the individual user shares using $ as the last char.

    Whatever OS (you didn't say) get the Resource kit CD, there are adduser
    tools, which will read a CSV file and create the accounts in a batch and
    the policy tools.

    Me

    why?, Sep 6, 2003

  3. cromi Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>:

    > We are moving off a Novell server and onto a microsoft one and want
    > to know how to map all the users drives so for example all the users
    > drive points at the users data. Thanks for your help

    Here's a simple .bat file you can use

    net use z: /delete
    # used to keep from throwing errors if the mapping exists
    net use z: \\<computername>\share
    # drive mapping of course

    ===

    Now, where this file goes depends on the server you're using. Once
    it's in the proper location, just add it's name to the 'logon script'
    section of the user's settings on the server, and it'll run when they
    login...

    HTH

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Sep 6, 2003