Mapping network drives after login

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Greetings all,

    (Windows XP Pro)

    Is it possible to put all network drive mappings in a batch file to be
    run after login? I'm looking to put the DOS commands (if they exist)
    in a little VB script to be run aftere logged onto my employers
    network.

    The reason for this is when I connect to my office network from home I
    have to do the following

    Bring up a dialup connection
    Make a connection via VPN
    Login to the local domain

    Obviously restoring network connections at boot is not going to be
    any use. I also need to have a connection to about 30 network drives
    so re-mapping is a big hassle.

    Anyone know if the mappings can be done from a DOS batch file? Or is
    there an easier way of acheiving this?

    Thanks in advance.

    Dave.
    Dave, Jul 5, 2003

  2. You won't be able to map the drives to a "drive letter" as there are only 26
    letters of the alphabet and (usually) A:\, C:\, and D:\ are taken.

    In XP, go to my network places and click "Add Network Place" then browse to
    the share you want. This will create a persistant link on your PC. Obviously
    you need to do this whilst connected to the VPN

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    John,

    That is the problem... Every time I would need to; boot up, make an
    internet connection, connect the VPN and manually create network
    drives. Too much hassle!

    Browsing the net I have found it's possible to use the MS-DOS command
    NET USE in a batch file to connect network drives. (Up to 26 as you
    mentioned)

    NET USE
    [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
    [/USER:[domainname\]username]
    [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
    [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
    [/SMARTCARD]
    [/SAVECRED]
    [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

    NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

    NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

    Thanks for your input.

    Dave.

    Dave, Jul 5, 2003
  4. That would do it as well, but I stand by my earlier suggestion of using
    WinXP's built in functionallity of mapping UNC shares without Drive letters
    from within My Network Places

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 6, 2003