    the older one doesn't. I've gone back to the Wireless network setup Wizard
    and entered the name, etc., but it still doesn't show up in the workgroup.
    Anybody know what the problem might be?
    Windwatcher, Apr 24, 2006

  2. In news:,
    Windwatcher <> typed:
    > I'm trying to get file/printer sharing setup on 2 computers. The
    > newer one shows up when I follow the Map Network Drive option on the
    > tools menu, but the older one doesn't. I've gone back to the
    > Wireless network setup Wizard and entered the name, etc., but it
    > still doesn't show up in the workgroup. Anybody know what the problem
    > might be?

    The fact that it doesn't show up in your workgroup, doesn't have anything to
    do with whether you can access it or map a drive to it.

    What is your client OS? Can you post an ipconfig /all from each of the
    computers?
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Apr 24, 2006

  3. Windwatcher

    Windwatcher Guest

    Well thanks for replying, but I really don't understand the language. Do
    you mean I am supposed to do run ad then enter ipconfig/all?Or is there
    supposed to be a space in there? I hate to appear to be so dumb, but I
    shouldn't be - I had ;my first computer in 1982 and have been managing more
    or less ever since. But I do get annoyed with these answers that supposes
    you have this specialized knowledge when you don't - after all, if you did,
    you wouldn't be having these problems, right?
    Windwatcher, Apr 25, 2006
  4. In news:,
    Windwatcher <> typed:
    > Well thanks for replying, but I really don't understand the language.
    > Do you mean I am supposed to do run ad then enter ipconfig/all?Or is
    > there supposed to be a space in there? I hate to appear to be so
    > dumb, but I shouldn't be - I had ;my first computer in 1982 and have
    > been managing more or less ever since. But I do get annoyed with
    > these answers that supposes you have this specialized knowledge when
    > you don't - after all, if you did, you wouldn't be having these
    > problems, right?

    Hi - please fix your newsreader so it doesn't snip out all the text to which
    you're replying; it makes it nearly impossible for others to follow the
    thread.

    That said: nobody expects anyone to be an expert in here. When you don't
    understand something, ask. Knowing how to get the ipconfig info I requested
    isn't exactly specialized knowlege if you've done any sort of networking,
    but there's no judgement inferred if you don't know it.

    Go to start | run
    Type
    cmd
    <enter>
    Type
    ipconfig /all >c:\blahblahblaht.txt
    <enter>

    and then post the contents of that file in here.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Apr 25, 2006
  5. Windwatcher

    Socrates Guest

    I've gone back to the Wireless network setup Wizard
    and entered the name, etc., but it still doesn't show up in the workgroup.
    Anybody know what the problem might be?

    You haven't rebooted the computers. Correct?

    www.amw1.com/faq

    Socrates, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Windwatcher

    Eugene Guest

    the basics-layer 1, layer 2, layer 3, etc...)

    See if it is a Netbios issue or DNS issue.

    1-PING by IPADDRESS
    2-PING computer by name(uses DNS to try to resolve)
    3-Use NET VIEW "name of computer" (uses Netbios to resolve)

    Any errors, post replies!

    No errors, try Start, Run and type in CMD.

    @ command prompt, type in (example) NET USE Z:\\computername\foldername

    Post results!

    Eugene

    Eugene, May 9, 2006