    everyone has a single floppy, so it should work fine. Am I correct in
    assuming this or am I overlooking something simple?

    Thanks

    Captain Ron, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Captain Ron

    Guest

    I have done this before, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems (except
    maybe if someone does plug in a floppy/zip/ls-120 drive?)

    In article <>, "Captain Ron"
    <> wrote:
    |I need to map a remote drive on our WAN. We currently have drives E to K
    |mapped. Our projects are all reliant on a consistent drive letter allocation
    |throught the company. Someone asked if we could assign the new share to
    |drive B. I never thought about it and always figured this drive was reserved
    |exclusively for floppy drives and zip drives. We have no zip drives and
    |everyone has a single floppy, so it should work fine. Am I correct in
    |assuming this or am I overlooking something simple?
    |
    |Thanks

    , Sep 1, 2004

  3. Captain Ron

    male24-7 Guest

    wrote:
    > I have done this before, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems (except
    > maybe if someone does plug in a floppy/zip/ls-120 drive?)
    >
    > In article <>, "Captain Ron"
    > <> wrote:
    > |I need to map a remote drive on our WAN. We currently have drives E to K
    > |mapped. Our projects are all reliant on a consistent drive letter allocation
    > |throught the company. Someone asked if we could assign the new share to
    > |drive B. I never thought about it and always figured this drive was reserved
    > |exclusively for floppy drives and zip drives. We have no zip drives and
    > |everyone has a single floppy, so it should work fine. Am I correct in
    > |assuming this or am I overlooking something simple?
    > |
    > |Thanks

    B is reserved for floppy/zip etc so you can perform a diskcopy
    operation from A: to B:

    This is a legacy from the old days :)

    male24-7, Sep 2, 2004
  4. "male24-7" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > I have done this before, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems

    (except
    > > maybe if someone does plug in a floppy/zip/ls-120 drive?)
    > >
    > > In article <>, "Captain Ron"
    > > <> wrote:
    > > |I need to map a remote drive on our WAN. We currently have drives E to

    > > |mapped. Our projects are all reliant on a consistent drive letter

    allocation
    > > |throught the company. Someone asked if we could assign the new share

    > > |drive B. I never thought about it and always figured this drive was

    reserved
    > > |exclusively for floppy drives and zip drives. We have no zip drives

    and
    > > |everyone has a single floppy, so it should work fine. Am I correct in
    > > |assuming this or am I overlooking something simple?
    > > |
    > > |Thanks

    > B is reserved for floppy/zip etc so you can perform a diskcopy
    > operation from A: to B:
    >
    > This is a legacy from the old days :)

    This is correct, but you can still use B: as a shared drive letter.
    This will, of course, deprive you of the ability to use the syntax
    diskcopy a: b: - but who cares? Use Explorer, and it won't
    matter!

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Sep 2, 2004
  5. Captain Ron

    Guest

    In article <ch64kl$ckt$>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <> wrote:

    |"male24-7" <> wrote in message
    |> wrote:
    |> > I have done this before, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems
    |(except
    |> > maybe if someone does plug in a floppy/zip/ls-120 drive?)

    |allocation
    |reserved
    |and
    |> > |

    |> B is reserved for floppy/zip etc so you can perform a diskcopy
    |> operation from A: to B:
    |>
    |> This is a legacy from the old days :)
    |
    |This is correct, but you can still use B: as a shared drive letter.
    |This will, of course, deprive you of the ability to use the syntax
    |diskcopy a: b: - but who cares? Use Explorer, and it won't
    |matter!

    The DISKCOPY A: B: syntax does not work for me (Nt4 server/Win2k/WinXP)
    - I have to use DISKCOPY A: A:
    It then prompts you to put in the source and destination disks as needed
    I assume that it buffers the floppy data in memory or a temp file

    , Sep 2, 2004