    really like to know what it means.
    Thanks.
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 20, 2004

  2. On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:29:20 +1300, "Joy" <>
    wrote:

    >I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
    >options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
    >really like to know what it means.

    Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
    not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
    two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
    and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
    other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
    computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Joy

    Joy Guest

    Hey, thanks
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    >>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
    >>options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
    >>really like to know what it means.

    > Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
    > not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
    > two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
    > and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
    > other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
    > computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

    just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map
    them as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...

    c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
    c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
    c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive

    I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Joy

    frederick Guest

    > Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    >>>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in options
    >>>on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd really
    >>>like to know what it means.

    >> Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
    >> not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
    >> two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
    >> and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
    >> other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
    >> computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

    > just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map them
    > as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...
    >
    > c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
    > c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
    > c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive
    >
    > I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

    Which doesn't work on a stand-alone machine unless you have a network card
    installed, or use MS Loopback.

    frederick, Nov 21, 2004
  6. frederick wrote:
    >>just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map them
    >>as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...

    >>c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
    >>c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
    >>c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive
    >>I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

    > Which doesn't work on a stand-alone machine unless you have a network card
    > installed, or use MS Loopback.

    wouldn't know, I've had a NIC since win95(so late 96 :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 21, 2004
  7. Joy

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:11:50 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    >>>I have no idea what this means and just came across it by accident in
    >>>options on IE. Someone had mentioned this term to me just last week and I'd
    >>>really like to know what it means.

    >> Mapping Drives refers to assigning drive letters to drives that are
    >> not (usually) physically in your computer. For example, if you have
    >> two computers networked together, both with a C: drive (hard drive)
    >> and a D: drive (CD-ROM), you can share one computer's C: drive on the
    >> other computer as E:. This would mean whenever you refer to E: on your
    >> computer, it'd go and look at the C: drive on the other PC.

    >just to add to the confusion, you can also share folders on a PC and map
    >them as drives on the same PC... I do this for regualy accessed folders...
    >
    >c:\downloads\media is mapped as m: drive(m for media)
    >c:\downloads\isos is mapped as i: drive
    >c:\downloads\games is mapped as g: drive
    >
    >I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

    Hey, that's a really good idea. Now why didn't I think of that.
    Typing G:\NFSU2 is a hell of a lot easier than typing C:\Games\NFSU2.

    Mr Bond, Nov 21, 2004
  8. Mr Bond wrote:
    >>I have a few more, but nothing further to demonstate my point.

    > Hey, that's a really good idea. Now why didn't I think of that.
    > Typing G:\NFSU2 is a hell of a lot easier than typing C:\Games\NFSU2.

    or typing N: mapped to C:\Games\NFSU2
    :)

    it's either genius or laziness... not sure which.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 21, 2004
  9. Joy

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:49:42 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > or typing N: mapped to C:\Games\NFSU2
    > :)
    >
    > it's either genius or laziness... not sure which.

    Reminds me a lot of the Amigas device names (eg SYS: etc).

    Anyway, on NT/W2K/XP etc you can also use the SUBST command without
    needing the whole network share stuff.

    I think from memory under 9x and earlier, you used the ASSIGN command? I
    could be wrong about that though.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 23, 2004