    Thanks

    Mike McWhinney
    elja, Inc.

    Mike McWhinney, Oct 8, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Mike McWhinney <> wrote:
    :I just recently installed a Cisco PIX 501 VPN server/appliance at one
    :eek:f our offices. The network there is a Windows NT server 4.0 with
    :Win98 clients. I successfully installed the VPN client at a remote
    :eek:ffice. The VPN client connects/authenticates correctly. However I am
    :left with a problem: I cannot access any of the remote
    :drives/printers at the office that has the NT network from the
    :satellite office.

    Have you tried by IP address? If using the IP address does not
    work, then WINS will not work either.

    : I have read somewhere that I need to set up a WINS
    :server on the NT network. Does Cisco have any documents that detail
    :how this
    :is done? I don't believe we are using a WINS server on the NT 4.0
    :Server.

    WINS is something you would install and configure on your NT 4.0
    server. It's Microsoft all the way, so Cisco would not likely have
    documents on the process. WINS is not an standard (e.g., like DHCP),
    and it isn't something that the PIX might reasonably do a "fixup" for,
    so it really has nothing to do with Cisco and everything to do with
    how Microsoft-invented products talk to each other.

    I would suggest, though, that if you only have a small number
    of remote users and they are concentrated in a small number of locations,
    that instead of configuring a WINS server, that you might simply
    want to put all the important addresses into a LMHOSTS file that is
    copied to each remote machine. A WINS server is just a form of name
    resolution (like DNS), and the local LMHOSTS will be consulted before
    other forms of name resolution are used.

    Speaking of name resolution: in 2000 and XP (I never looked at NT4),
    one of the name resolution steps is to do a DNS lookup. If you were to
    enter the important devices into your DNS server and configure the
    client to know the DNS server's address, then WINS and LMHOSTS should
    not be necessary, I think.
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!

    Walter Roberson, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Especially on win98 client and if you run DHCPd on the PIX you must add the
    command:

    dhcpd option 46 hex 08

    for hybrid wins servers.

    HTH