Mapping a network drive problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?THVkcw==?=, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I was installing some pc's for a school when I was asked if I could set up
    some shared folders on the desktop pc's that children working on laptops
    could save to.

    The school network is a main router/hub in the office and ethernet sockets
    in the classrooms. Each class has a wireless AP in it so that the laptops can
    connect.

    I had thought that by setting up a workgroup for the whole school, and
    adding a special shared folder on each desktop and then mapping network
    drives to each laptop would be ok.

    I've run the setup new network connection on each desktop.

    i can ping other computers on the network but when I try to map a drive on
    the laptops I get the workgroup in the network directory tree but there
    aren't any machines or folders listed under it.

    I'm wondering if this is a firewall issue, although they've only got windows
    firewall and have disabled that whilst setting up.

    BUt if anyone else has any ideas then I'd be grateful :¬)

    many thanks

    Paul

    =?Utf-8?B?THVkcw==?=, Feb 26, 2007

  2. Hi
    Mapping Drives depends on the Sharing settings, if you can not Share you can
    not Map.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 26, 2007

  3. Thanks Jack....those links are a great help :¬)

    Paul

    =?Utf-8?B?THVkcw==?=, Feb 26, 2007