    My question is: what static mapping do I have to do to the
    router to ensure that the request is forwarded to my PC?

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Feb 14, 2008

  2. Fred Atkinson

    bthetford Guest

    On Feb 13, 8:49 pm, Fred Atkinson <> wrote:
    >         I have a W2K machine on my home network behind an 800 series
    > Cisco SOHO router.
    >
    >         I need to be able to connect to that W2K machine from another
    > location (in this case, from my office) by mapping a network drive to
    > my office PC (Tools, Map Network Drive from Windows Explorer).
    >
    >         My question is: what static mapping do I have to do to the
    > router to ensure that the request is forwarded to my PC?
    >
    >                                         Fred

    It doesn't quite work like that.
    You need a VPN connection, be it between the routers or between then
    computers, first, and then you will have the connectivity you want.

    If you have control over the router at work, set up a GRE tunnel
    between the two routers and a static route pointing traffic to your
    home network to go through the tunnel (be careful you don't make it
    too general or you might send other traffic off to no-man's land).
    If you don't, then try to set up a PPTP VPN between the two PCs, with
    your home PC acting as the "server."

    Once you have accomplished either of these, you will be able to access
    your home PC via its internal IP address to do whatever you want to do.

    bthetford, Feb 17, 2008

  3. On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:07:10 -0800 (PST), bthetford
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 13, 8:49 pm, Fred Atkinson <> wrote:
    >>         I have a W2K machine on my home network behind an 800 series
    >> Cisco SOHO router.
    >>
    >>         I need to be able to connect to that W2K machine from another
    >> location (in this case, from my office) by mapping a network drive to
    >> my office PC (Tools, Map Network Drive from Windows Explorer).
    >>
    >>         My question is: what static mapping do I have to do to the
    >> router to ensure that the request is forwarded to my PC?
    >>
    >>                                         Fred

    >It doesn't quite work like that.
    >You need a VPN connection, be it between the routers or between then
    >computers, first, and then you will have the connectivity you want.
    >
    >If you have control over the router at work, set up a GRE tunnel
    >between the two routers and a static route pointing traffic to your
    >home network to go through the tunnel (be careful you don't make it
    >too general or you might send other traffic off to no-man's land).
    >If you don't, then try to set up a PPTP VPN between the two PCs, with
    >your home PC acting as the "server."
    >
    >Once you have accomplished either of these, you will be able to access
    >your home PC via its internal IP address to do whatever you want to do.

    VPN I can handle as I have a Cisco 831 router at home and I
    can set it up on my office laptop as well. The problem is that I was
    never successful in configuring it when I was taking Cisco security
    classes in an accelerated fashion. We simply ran out of time.

    Does anyone have a link to a well written procedure to
    configure it in the Cisco router?

    I've looked all over my W2K Professional machine and I can't
    find anything to make it function as an NFS server.

    A colleague of mine (who is a Microsoft Instructor) suggested
    I use remote desktop instead. It would only require forwarding port
    3389 from what I've read about it.

    However, an inspection of W2K did not reveal the means to
    enable it on my home PC. Something I read on the Internet suggested
    that W2K Professional did not support it.

    So I guess I'll have to find third party clients to do this.

    Any suggestions as to where I can find third party software to
    support NFS and/or Remote Desktop servers?

    Regards,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Fred Atkinson

    Guest

    On 18 Feb, 02:29, Fred Atkinson <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:07:10 -0800 (PST), bthetford
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Feb 13, 8:49 pm, Fred Atkinson <> wrote:
    > >>         I have a W2K machine on my home network behind an 800 series
    > >> Cisco SOHO router.

    > >>         I need to be able to connect to that W2K machine from another
    > >> location (in this case, from my office) by mapping a network drive to
    > >> my office PC (Tools, Map Network Drive from Windows Explorer).

    > >>         My question is: what static mapping do I have to do to the
    > >> router to ensure that the request is forwarded to my PC?

    > >>                                         Fred

    > >It doesn't quite work like that.
    > >You need a VPN connection, be it between the routers or between then
    > >computers, first, and then you will have the connectivity you want.

    > >If you have control over the router at work, set up a GRE tunnel
    > >between the two routers and a static route pointing traffic to your
    > >home network to go through the tunnel (be careful you don't make it
    > >too general or you might send other traffic off to no-man's land).
    > >If you don't, then try to set up a PPTP VPN between the two PCs, with
    > >your home PC acting as the "server."

    > >Once you have accomplished either of these, you will be able to access
    > >your home PC via its internal IP address to do whatever you want to do.

    >         VPN I can handle as I have a Cisco 831 router at home and I
    > can set it up on my office laptop as well.  The problem is that I was
    > never successful in configuring it when I was taking Cisco security
    > classes in an accelerated fashion.  We simply ran out of time.
    >
    >         Does anyone have a link to a well written procedure to
    > configure it in the Cisco router?
    >
    >         I've looked all over my W2K Professional machine and I can't
    > find anything to make it function as an NFS server.
    >
    >         A colleague of mine (who is a Microsoft Instructor) suggested
    > I use remote desktop instead.  It would only require forwarding port
    > 3389 from what I've read about it.
    >
    >         However, an inspection of W2K did not reveal the means to
    > enable it on my home PC.  Something I read on the Internet suggested
    > that W2K Professional did not support it.
    >
    >         So I guess I'll have to find third party clients to do this.
    >
    >         Any suggestions as to where I can find third party software to
    > support NFS and/or Remote Desktop servers?

    the thread
    "Cisco 1760 router and VPN client Connection Issues "
    has a complete configuration for VPN server for a router.

    You will need to install the Cisco VPN client on your office PC.

    You could in theory:-

    Cisco 1760 router and VPN client Connection Issues

    ip nat inside source static tcp in.side.ip.add 445 out.side.ip.add
    445 extendable

    Also add ACLs to the outside interface to only allow your
    site to access.

    You would want to be pretty sure about your windows security.

    Or
    ip nat inside source static tcp in.side.ip.add 3389 out.side.ip.add
    3389 extendable
    which would allow RDP.

    this is probably more secure.

    You can of course connect local drives to the remote device over RDP.
    Just poke around the GUI.

    , Feb 18, 2008
  5. Fred Atkinson

    Guest

    On 18 Feb, 02:29, Fred Atkinson <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:07:10 -0800 (PST), bthetford
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Feb 13, 8:49 pm, Fred Atkinson <> wrote:
    > >>         I have a W2K machine on my home network behind an 800 series
    > >> Cisco SOHO router.

    > >>         I need to be able to connect to that W2K machine from another
    > >> location (in this case, from my office) by mapping a network drive to
    > >> my office PC (Tools, Map Network Drive from Windows Explorer).

    > >>         My question is: what static mapping do I have to do to the
    > >> router to ensure that the request is forwarded to my PC?

    > >>                                         Fred

    > >It doesn't quite work like that.
    > >You need a VPN connection, be it between the routers or between then
    > >computers, first, and then you will have the connectivity you want.

    > >If you have control over the router at work, set up a GRE tunnel
    > >between the two routers and a static route pointing traffic to your
    > >home network to go through the tunnel (be careful you don't make it
    > >too general or you might send other traffic off to no-man's land).
    > >If you don't, then try to set up a PPTP VPN between the two PCs, with
    > >your home PC acting as the "server."

    > >Once you have accomplished either of these, you will be able to access
    > >your home PC via its internal IP address to do whatever you want to do.

    >         VPN I can handle as I have a Cisco 831 router at home and I
    > can set it up on my office laptop as well.  The problem is that I was
    > never successful in configuring it when I was taking Cisco security
    > classes in an accelerated fashion.  We simply ran out of time.
    >
    >         Does anyone have a link to a well written procedure to
    > configure it in the Cisco router?
    >
    >         I've looked all over my W2K Professional machine and I can't
    > find anything to make it function as an NFS server.
    >
    >         A colleague of mine (who is a Microsoft Instructor) suggested
    > I use remote desktop instead.  It would only require forwarding port
    > 3389 from what I've read about it.
    >
    >         However, an inspection of W2K did not reveal the means to
    > enable it on my home PC.  Something I read on the Internet suggested
    > that W2K Professional did not support it.

    W2K professional DOES do RDP server.

    , Feb 18, 2008