    buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
    have it outside.

    TIA

    curi us, Jun 29, 2005

  2. curi us

    DaveG Guest

    curi us wrote:
    > At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
    > firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
    > be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
    > If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
    >
    > Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
    > office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
    > PC from home?
    >
    > Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
    > buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
    > have it outside.
    >
    > TIA

    http://www.openvpn.net

    OpenVPN has both a windows and linux version, is very configurable and
    works well.

    Dave

    DaveG, Jun 29, 2005

  3. curi us

    JC Guest

    In article <Ibmwe.11069$>,
    says...
    > At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
    > firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
    > be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
    > If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
    >
    > Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
    > office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
    > PC from home?
    >
    > Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
    > buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
    > have it outside.
    >
    > TIA

    Maybe this?
    https://secure.logmein.com/

    JC, Jun 29, 2005
  4. curi us

    Richard Guest

    curi us wrote:
    > At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
    > firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
    > be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
    > If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
    >
    > Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
    > office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
    > PC from home?
    >
    > Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
    > buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
    > have it outside.

    XP can accept a single incoming connection, add a new connection in the network
    control panel.

    You will still need the appropriate entries on the firewall to allow the GRE
    packets to the machine thats accepting connections, and there are added hastles
    if you have nat there too.

    Richard, Jun 29, 2005
  5. "JC" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Ibmwe.11069$>,
    > says...
    >> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
    >> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need
    >> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
    >> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are
    >> not.
    >>
    >> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
    >> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on
    >> that
    >> PC from home?
    >>

    > Maybe this?
    > https://secure.logmein.com/

    Logmein.com is nice, and free - except that file transfer is part of Premium
    services, last time I looked into it.

    I am using GoToMyPC for remote control, but for File Access (and more) I am
    using LapLink Everywhere. Check my review for an idea:

    Everything I show in the Pocket PC actually works even better on a standard
    PC or Mac.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Jun 29, 2005
  6. curi us

    Shane Guest

    > Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
    > buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
    > have it outside.
    >
    > TIA

    do the VNC apps not fit the bill for this job?
    theres a thread here from a week or three back on the comparisons of them

    Shane, Jun 29, 2005
  7. curi us

    Allistar Guest

    curi us wrote:

    > At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
    > firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need
    > to be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
    > If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are
    > not.
    >
    > Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
    > office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on
    > that PC from home?
    >
    > Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I
    > could buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be
    > allowed to have it outside.
    >
    > TIA

    What about ssh?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 29, 2005
  8. curi us wrote:
    > At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
    > firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
    > be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
    > If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
    >
    > Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
    > office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
    > PC from home?

    Its built into your Windows XP platform already, it can allow incoming
    connections

    Overview here
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ras_clients.mspx
    with detailed instructions of how to turn it on here
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/allowing_access.mspx

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 29, 2005
  9. curi us

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Smoothwall

    Bob McLellan, Jun 30, 2005
  10. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:

    >What about ssh?

    I think stunnel seems to be the one people use to set up arbitrary
    encrypted TCP tunnels <http://www.stunnel.org/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 30, 2005