Mapped Network drives to local folders work only when online

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cnlhbnZy?=, May 12, 2005.

  1. I have a IBM Thinkpad Centrino running Windows XP SP 2.

    For some software that I am running I need to Map a network drive letter to
    a folder on my c: drive. I have enabled the sharing capabilities on the
    respective folder and for the c: drive - there are two scenarios:

    1. When DISCONNECTED from the internet (using a USB Broadband modem):

    In My Network Places, when I click "View workgroup computers" I just get a
    blank window.

    When I try to Map a Network Drive, the tree will not expand beyond Workgroup.

    2. When CONNECTED to the internet, I can map a network drive only by going
    to Start, Run, typing "\\Computer Name", selecting the shared folder I want
    to map from the window, right clicking on it and mapping the network drive.

    When I attempt to "View workgroup computers" in My Network Places, I receive
    the error message, MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to
    use this netwrok resource contact the administrator of this server to find
    out if you have access permissions. (My username does have administrator
    priviliages!)

    Thus it seems that being connected to the internet bypasses the normal
    Microsoft Network and allows me to map the folder locally - this does not
    help as I am not always connected.

    I have also discovered that when I try to create a new network connection
    (Advanced - Accept Incoming Connections), I receive the error message
    "Incoming connections depend on the routing and remote access service which
    was unable to start. For more information check the system log."

    I have now spent 2 days trying to solve this and have called both IBM tech
    support and Microsoft, neither of whom have been any help - is there a genius
    out there?
    =?Utf-8?B?cnlhbnZy?=, May 12, 2005