Maplin a bit cofused about Voip

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Adam Aglionby, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. Thought this might interest some readers, spot the mistake in this
    email, quoted:

    Maplin - Voice Over IP explained

    * * * * * * * * I N T E R N E T T E L E P H O N Y * * * * * * * *
    * *

    If you already have a broadband internet connection you could be saving
    money on phone calls from today.

    W H A T I S V o I P ?

    VoIP or Voice over the Internet Protocol is a technology for
    transmitting
    conversations over the Internet. Using programmes such as Skype, MSN
    Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, voice data is sent over the internet
    rather
    than by traditional dedicated telephone circuits.

    One advantage of VoIP is that the telephone calls over the Internet
    between
    people using the same software do not incur a charge beyond what you
    are
    paying for Internet access, much in the same way that you don't pay for
    sending individual e-mails over the internet.

    Some VoIP services will also allow you to make and receive calls to
    landlines.

    H O W M U C H D O E S V o I P C O S T ?

    If you already have a broadband internet connection, VoIP calls between
    people using the same programmes are free. You can't call between
    different
    programmes.

    Some programmes offer a call out service to landlines and mobiles all
    over
    the world at very cheap prices on a pay as you go arrangement. Some
    also
    offer a call in and voice mail service for a fixed annual cost.

    W H Y S H O U L D I U S E I T ?

    If you already have a broadband Internet connection you could be saving
    money on phone calls from today.

    VoIP is useful to everyone, but it really comes into it's own if you
    talk
    frequently to the same people. Students away at university, business
    and
    their suppliers or customers, parents of teenagers who seem to have a
    phone
    permanently stuck to their ear chatting to their friends could all
    benefit
    greatly from using VoIP.

    W H A T D O I N E E D ?

    To use VoIP you will need a PC or Laptop with a broadband Internet
    Connection, a VoIP programme and some type of audio hardware to talk
    and
    listen through.

    S O F T W A R E . . .

    Many VoIP programmes can be downloaded for free off the Internet. Calls
    between people using the same programme are free and some offer calls
    landlines and mobiles all over the world at greatly reduced costs
    compared
    to traditional phone calls. You cannot call people using different
    programmes. Many people have 2 or even 3 VoIP programmes installed on
    their
    PC

    Among the most popular are

    Skype - http://www.skype.com

    MSN Messenger - http://www.messenger.msn.co.uk

    Yahoo Messenger - http://www.messenger.yahoo.com

    VoipCheap - http://www.voipcheap.co.uk

    H A R D W A R E . . .

    The hardware for using VoIP could be as simple as the speakers and a
    microphone that plugs into your PC or a headset with a microphone if
    you
    require a little privacy.

    Alternatively, for the traditional telephone experience, you could use
    telephone handset that plugs into your PC's USB port. Some of these are
    able to control the VoIP program through the handset. Cordless phones
    are
    also available.

    Many Bluetooth mobile phone headsets, combined with a compatible USB
    Bluetooth adaptor, are also suitable and provide a wireless handsfree
    alternative.

    There are also adaptors available that enable you to connect your
    regular
    phone to your PC & your landline at the same time. Some of these will
    also
    allow you to forward VoIP calls to another number via your landline if
    you
    wish.

    V o I P P R O D U C T S

    SOUNDCARD HANDSET
    A telephone Handset that replaces your speaker and microphone by
    plugging
    into the mic & speaker ports on your PC's soundcard. Inexpensive and
    easy
    to set up, requiring no additional configuration or software to operate

    USB HANDSETS
    The most popular solution. The handset takes over the function of the
    PC
    soundcard when its plugged in. Some USB handsets are supplied with
    software
    which enables you to control the Skype programme through the handset.
    Some
    also have a display which can show information from your contacts list,
    etc.

    ATA-ANALOGUE TELEPHONE ADAPTOR
    A box that connects to your PC via USB and allows you to connect a
    regular
    landline telephone to your PC for use with VoIP. Most will also allow
    you
    to connect your phone to your landline at the same time and some will
    allow
    to redirect VoIP calls via your landline to another phone. Some will
    also
    allow you to control Skype through the phone.

    DECT CORDLESS VoIP HANDSETS
    Operates in a similar manner to a USB Handset, in that the base station
    of
    the phone connects to your PC via a USB, but with the advantage of not
    being tied to the PC whilst using VoIP. Some VoIP DECT phones are
    designed
    to be connected to the landline at the same time, with the ability of
    making and receiving calls from both VoIP and landlines. Many are able
    control the Skype programme from the handset.

    BLUETOOTH HEADSET & DONGLE COMBINATION
    Operates in a similar fashion to a USB handset, but with the advantage
    for
    being able to conduct VoIP conversations away from the PC. The headset
    is
    paired to the Bluetooth USB adaptor that is plugged into the PC in the
    same
    way as it would pair with a mobile phone. Some Bluetooth adaptors can
    be
    paired to more than one headset at a time and depending on the headset
    you
    could have it paired to the Bluetooth adaptor and your mobile phone at
    the
    same time.

    /end quote

    Would help if one of UK`s larger ,er, electronics retailers were aware
    of the full range of Voip options as sure their buying power would have
    a consumer favourable impact on hardware price....

    Adam

    Adam Aglionby, Jul 3, 2006

  2. Adam Aglionby

    Sean Guest

    Adam Aglionby wrote:
    > Thought this might interest some readers, spot the mistake in this
    > email, quoted:
    >
    > Maplin - Voice Over IP explained

    > Adam

    "ATA-ANALOGUE TELEPHONE ADAPTOR
    A box that connects to your PC via USB and allows you to connect a
    regular landline telephone to your PC for use with VoIP."

    Mine is not plugged into any PC,and does not have USB at all.

    They don't seem to know much,and are just going to confuse people who
    know nothing about VoIP.

    Many people don't know for around £40 you can have a ATA which does not
    need a PC, and can have normal phone in and make calls trough many providers

    Sean, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Adam Aglionby

    jasee Guest

    Sean wrote:
    > Adam Aglionby wrote:
    >> Thought this might interest some readers, spot the mistake in this
    >> email, quoted:
    >>
    >> Maplin - Voice Over IP explained

    >> Adam
    >>

    > "ATA-ANALOGUE TELEPHONE ADAPTOR
    > A box that connects to your PC via USB and allows you to connect a
    > regular landline telephone to your PC for use with VoIP."
    >
    > Mine is not plugged into any PC,and does not have USB at all.
    >
    > They don't seem to know much,and are just going to confuse people who
    > know nothing about VoIP.
    >
    > Many people don't know for around £40 you can have a ATA which does
    > not need a PC, and can have normal phone in and make calls trough
    > many providers

    What should be explained *everywhere* is that if you are using a capped
    service, you allowance will be being used by the voip connection
    (effectively you are also 'paying' through your allowance). Unfortunately as
    BT for instance now doesn't now give you any means to measure how much you
    have used, you are left to your own devices to use any of the available
    useage monitoring software and won't generally additionally monitor
    independent connections such as those mentioned above. At least not the free
    versions AFAICT.

    jasee, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Adam Aglionby

    Doz Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 05:38:28 +0100, jasee wrote:

    > Sean wrote:
    >> Adam Aglionby wrote:
    >>> Thought this might interest some readers, spot the mistake in this
    >>> email, quoted:
    >>>
    >>> Maplin - Voice Over IP explained

    >>> Adam
    >>>

    >> "ATA-ANALOGUE TELEPHONE ADAPTOR
    >> A box that connects to your PC via USB and allows you to connect a
    >> regular landline telephone to your PC for use with VoIP."
    >>
    >> Mine is not plugged into any PC,and does not have USB at all.
    >>
    >> They don't seem to know much,and are just going to confuse people who
    >> know nothing about VoIP.
    >>
    >> Many people don't know for around £40 you can have a ATA which does
    >> not need a PC, and can have normal phone in and make calls trough
    >> many providers

    > What should be explained *everywhere* is that if you are using a capped
    > service, you allowance will be being used by the voip connection
    > (effectively you are also 'paying' through your allowance). Unfortunately as
    > BT for instance now doesn't now give you any means to measure how much you
    > have used, you are left to your own devices to use any of the available
    > useage monitoring software and won't generally additionally monitor
    > independent connections such as those mentioned above. At least not the free
    > versions AFAICT.

    You could measure the bandwidth the "proper" way via SNMP and your router..

    See http://bravo.homeip.net

    Doz, Jul 5, 2006
  5. Adam Aglionby

    wrote:

    >What should be explained *everywhere* is that if you are using a capped
    >service, you allowance will be being used by the voip connection
    >(effectively you are also 'paying' through your allowance).

    Given that we're talking about 100Kb or less, and that even the
    crappiest ADSL packages give 1GB, you'd need to be on the phone for 22
    hours to use you capped bandwidth.

    So it's not a big deal, but I agree it should be mentioned. Given how
    much else is wrong with the Maplin description, I'd not complain about
    the cap not being mentioned.

    , Jul 5, 2006
  6. Adam Aglionby

    jasee Guest

    Doz wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 05:38:28 +0100, jasee wrote:
    >
    >> Sean wrote:

    >>> "ATA-ANALOGUE TELEPHONE ADAPTOR
    >>> A box that connects to your PC via USB and allows you to connect a
    >>> regular landline telephone to your PC for use with VoIP."
    >>>
    >>> Mine is not plugged into any PC,and does not have USB at all.
    >>>
    >>> They don't seem to know much,and are just going to confuse people
    >>> who know nothing about VoIP.
    >>>
    >>> Many people don't know for around £40 you can have a ATA which does
    >>> not need a PC, and can have normal phone in and make calls trough
    >>> many providers

    >> What should be explained *everywhere* is that if you are using a
    >> capped service, you allowance will be being used by the voip
    >> connection (effectively you are also 'paying' through your
    >> allowance). Unfortunately as BT for instance now doesn't now give
    >> you any means to measure how much you have used, you are left to
    >> your own devices to use any of the available useage monitoring
    >> software and won't generally additionally monitor independent
    >> connections such as those mentioned above. At least not the free
    >> versions AFAICT.

    > You could measure the bandwidth the "proper" way via SNMP and your
    > router..
    >
    > See http://bravo.homeip.net

    depends whether your router supports snmp (some don't)

    jasee, Jul 5, 2006
  7. Adam Aglionby

    alexd Guest

    Sean wrote:

    > Many people don't know for around £40 you can have a ATA which does not
    > need a PC, and can have normal phone in and make calls trough many
    > providers

    I don't imagine that programming an ATA without a PC is much fun. And not
    many people have broadband but no PCs.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

    alexd, Jul 5, 2006
  8. Adam Aglionby

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Sean wrote:
    >
    > > Many people don't know for around £40 you can have a
    > > ATA which does not need a PC, and can have normal phone
    > > in and make calls trough many providers

    > I don't imagine that programming an ATA without a PC is
    > much fun. And not many people have broadband but no PCs.

    Don't be silly, you know perfectly well the purpose of an ATA is to allow
    calls to be made and received without a PC switched on, not that anyone
    would want to try and program an ATA without a PC (although it's quite
    possible with some devices..!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2006
  9. wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 05:38:28 +0100, "jasee" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What should be explained *everywhere* is that if you are using a capped
    > >service, you allowance will be being used by the voip connection
    > >(effectively you are also 'paying' through your allowance).

    > Given that we're talking about 100Kb or less, and that even the
    > crappiest ADSL packages give 1GB, you'd need to be on the phone for 22
    > hours to use you capped bandwidth.
    >
    > So it's not a big deal, but I agree it should be mentioned. Given how
    > much else is wrong with the Maplin description, I'd not complain about
    > the cap not being mentioned.

    Unless your a Skype user with a PC on most of the time not hiding
    behind a router. Might end up a node for forwarding calls using
    bandwidth even if you aren`t on the blower.

    Ok if your on unmetered bandwidth don`t see a problem with the idea, on
    all these duff capped deals going about you could take a hit on
    allowance that you didn`t directly use.

    The problem with the Maplin description is similar to Pissy World and
    Wurrys have the Freetalk boxes hidden in the warehouse, Voip seems
    highly technical and not yet ready for primetime.

    Marketing muscle and buying power of the big multiples would drive
    cost down of hardware which is still at the committed rather than
    casual purchase level.If only they had an understanding of things like
    ATAs with a RJ45 rather than an USB ....

    Don`t even get me started on the internet as a toll road metered
    bandwidth nonsense, back to the days of dial up subscription and per
    minute charge.

    Adam

    Adam Aglionby, Jul 6, 2006
  10. Adam Aglionby

    Cash Guest

    写é“:

    Hi,If you want to know more about ATA please visit www.wisecom.cc or
    www.voipforum.com

    It is really save your money and easy operate.

    Skype:cashleung8011

    Cash Leung

    Cash, Jul 18, 2006