Mapi32.dll and Thunderbird on 98SE

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    I am running Thunderbird 1 on 98SE and I have WordPerfect 8 installed.
    For some time the address book in WordPerfect's envelope printing
    module hasn't worked, saying it needs to be reinstalled. But I
    decided to look into this online and found that it is a mapi32.dll
    problem.

    The version of mapi32.dll in my Windows\system folder is only 7Kb and
    I noticed there was a much larger version backed up by Mozilla. I put
    in a new version of the dll (628Kb) and the address book worked. Then
    I tried Thunderbird again. That worked. But then the WP address book
    ceased working. It seems every time I run Thunderbird it replaces the
    mapi32.dll with its own 7Kb version which it must generate as it is
    nowhere else.

    Is there any way to stop Thunderbird from doing this and to use the
    version in the System folder?

    If I put the large version of mapi32.dll into the same folder as the
    address book it works, but only as a standalone and not from within
    the WP envelope printing module. I need to make Thunderbird accept
    the version that will work for WP.

    What size and version of map32.dll is installed by the latest version
    of Thunderbird? How much is involved in installing the latest version
    over v1?
    GraB, Jul 13, 2006

  2. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Re: Mapi32.dll and Thunderbird on 98SE (I think I fixed it)

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:06:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >I am running Thunderbird 1 on 98SE and I have WordPerfect 8 installed.
    >For some time the address book in WordPerfect's envelope printing
    >module hasn't worked, saying it needs to be reinstalled. But I
    >decided to look into this online and found that it is a mapi32.dll
    >problem.
    >
    >The version of mapi32.dll in my Windows\system folder is only 7Kb and
    >I noticed there was a much larger version backed up by Mozilla. I put
    >in a new version of the dll (628Kb) and the address book worked. Then
    >I tried Thunderbird again. That worked. But then the WP address book
    >ceased working. It seems every time I run Thunderbird it replaces the
    >mapi32.dll with its own 7Kb version which it must generate as it is
    >nowhere else.
    >
    >Is there any way to stop Thunderbird from doing this and to use the
    >version in the System folder?
    >
    >If I put the large version of mapi32.dll into the same folder as the
    >address book it works, but only as a standalone and not from within
    >the WP envelope printing module. I need to make Thunderbird accept
    >the version that will work for WP.
    >
    >What size and version of map32.dll is installed by the latest version
    >of Thunderbird? How much is involved in installing the latest version
    >over v1?

    I put the larger version of mapi32.dll back into windows\system so the
    WP envelope printing module address book worked. But then when you
    run Thunderbird it asks if you want it to be the default for e-mails.
    If you click on YES, it will install its own version of the dll so I
    clicked on NO and ticked the box not to ask me again. So far both
    Thunderbird and the address book are working.
    GraB, Jul 13, 2006

  3. GraB

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-13, GraB <> wrote:
    > Is there any way to stop Thunderbird from doing this and to use the
    > version in the System folder?

    dunno.

    > If I put the large version of mapi32.dll into the same folder as the
    > address book it works, but only as a standalone and not from within
    > the WP envelope printing module. I need to make Thunderbird accept
    > the version that will work for WP.

    try putting the large version in the same directory as the wordperfect .EXE
    file.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Jul 13, 2006
  4. GraB

    SchoolTech Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > I am running Thunderbird 1 on 98SE and I have WordPerfect 8 installed.
    > For some time the address book in WordPerfect's envelope printing
    > module hasn't worked, saying it needs to be reinstalled. But I
    > decided to look into this online and found that it is a mapi32.dll
    > problem.
    >
    > The version of mapi32.dll in my Windows\system folder is only 7Kb and
    > I noticed there was a much larger version backed up by Mozilla. I put
    > in a new version of the dll (628Kb) and the address book worked. Then
    > I tried Thunderbird again. That worked. But then the WP address book
    > ceased working. It seems every time I run Thunderbird it replaces the
    > mapi32.dll with its own 7Kb version which it must generate as it is
    > nowhere else.
    >
    > Is there any way to stop Thunderbird from doing this and to use the
    > version in the System folder?

    Yes, install Windows XP.
    SchoolTech, Jul 20, 2006
  5. In message <>, SchoolTech wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there any way to stop Thunderbird from doing this and to use the
    >> version in the System folder?

    > Yes, install Windows XP.

    What, spend money on an OS that's going to be rendered obsolete any year
    now!?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2006
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:35:11 +1200, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> I am running Thunderbird 1 on 98SE and I have WordPerfect 8 installed.
    >> For some time the address book in WordPerfect's envelope printing
    >> module hasn't worked, saying it needs to be reinstalled. But I
    >> decided to look into this online and found that it is a mapi32.dll
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> The version of mapi32.dll in my Windows\system folder is only 7Kb and
    >> I noticed there was a much larger version backed up by Mozilla. I put
    >> in a new version of the dll (628Kb) and the address book worked. Then
    >> I tried Thunderbird again. That worked. But then the WP address book
    >> ceased working. It seems every time I run Thunderbird it replaces the
    >> mapi32.dll with its own 7Kb version which it must generate as it is
    >> nowhere else.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to stop Thunderbird from doing this and to use the
    >> version in the System folder?

    >Yes, install Windows XP.

    I see you are trying to give yourself a 'Wogeresque' reputation,
    looking at your other posts too.
    GraB, Jul 20, 2006