    Is there a configuration issue or is there something I am missing?

    Looks like native x64 application get the wrong email client on Windows
    XP 64bit. How do I fix this?
    PEERNET Inc., Jan 26, 2006

  2. Actually, this doesn't surprise me. OE is 64-bit, Outlook is 32-bit. When
    64-bit programs indirectly call other programs, they seem to always get the
    64-bit version if there is one. I'm not sure what the workaround is, but I
    suspect your best bet is to ask over on one of the developer groups.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Hello,
    I think this is By Design.
    While inside a 32-bit program, you call 32-bit DLLS which is why Outlook
    starts.
    While inside a 64-bit program, you call 64-bit DLLS which is why Outlook
    Express starts.
    See this link: I think this is what you are running into:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/64bit/default.aspx
    NO loading 32-bit DLLs into 64-bit processes
    NO loading 64-bit DLLs into 32-bit processes
    NO loading 32-bit COM InProc servers into 64-bit processes
    No loading 64-bit COM InProc servers into 32-bit processes
    Remote procedure calls (RPC) ARE SUPPORTED between 64-bit and 32-bit
    processes (both on the same computer and across computers)

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: MAPI support on XP 64-bit
    <Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:51:21 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Actually, this doesn't surprise me. OE is 64-bit, Outlook is 32-bit. When
    <64-bit programs indirectly call other programs, they seem to always get
    the
    <64-bit version if there is one. I'm not sure what the workaround is, but I
    <suspect your best bet is to ask over on one of the developer groups.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <PEERNET Inc. wrote:
    <> Problem:
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 26, 2006
  4. See, now there's the technical answer to the experiential one I had. Thanks!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2006
  5. PEERNET Inc.

    PEERNET Inc. Guest

    Actually, I believe your are all off base.

    MAPI is suppose to be a transparent layer that maps MAPI calls to the
    default mail client.

    On Win32, Win16 and Win32 application mapped to the correct version of
    the default client (win16 or win32). No problems with that.

    On Win64 box, Win32 and Win64 applications should be mapped to the
    default client (no matter if client is win32 or win64).

    Yes, I an quite aware that Win64 does not allow thunk to Win32.
    Personally, I hate that this is the case but I understand the
    reasoning.

    But lets pertend that a MAPI 64-bit piece is needed in order to support
    Outlook on Win64. Okay Outlook group, where is it!!!
    PEERNET Inc., Jan 31, 2006