    Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
    that's another story...
    John
    jriegle, Sep 27, 2003

  2. jriegle

    DH Guest

    In article
    <LRgdb.155071$>,
    "jriegle" <> wrote:

    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > having some problems with their cards.
    >
    > While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
    > reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
    >
    > Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
    > that's another story...
    > John

    My thinking exactly, multiple 256mb cards.
    DH, Sep 27, 2003

  3. jriegle

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <LRgdb.155071$>,
    jriegle <> wrote:
    >With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    >one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    >cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    >because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    >but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    >having some problems with their cards.
    >
    >While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
    >reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
    >
    >Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
    >that's another story...
    >John

    Look for the price "sweet spot". At any given time one of the
    available sizes will be the lowest cost/MB. With several cards you
    can mail them to someone back at home, one at a time, as they fill up.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------
    Al Dykes, Sep 27, 2003
  4. jriegle

    Enough Guest

    Yes.

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Sep 27, 2003
  5. I too, would look for a "sweet spot" in pricing of the various sized
    cards. While not opting to buy a size way out of line with my needs
    (for instance I wouldn't buy a 32MB card!), I'd perhaps buy 2 ea of say
    a 128 or 256 instead of my favorite, a 512 card. If I could save money
    on a 512, that would be MY personal favorite size for my 4MP camera. If
    the savings on the smaller sizes was negligible, I'd go for 512. Just
    substitute your "favorite" size in my examples...YMMV.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Sep 27, 2003
  6. jriegle

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Not long ago the question was 2 64 MB cards or 1 128,

    With a little care, even 1 GB card will last for a long time. Make sure you
    don't let your batteries run down. This seems to be the most common problem
    when cards get corrupted. Make sure the cards are free of foreign material
    (sand, dirt, moisture), and buy good quality readers and cards.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 27, 2003
  7. jriegle

    Jim Townsend Guest

    jriegle wrote:

    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > having some problems with their cards.

    If you followed this newsgroup back in 1999-2000, you'd see the same argument
    over the newly introduced and fairly expensive 128 MB Flash cards..

    Many chose multiple 32 and 64 Meg cards because they didn't want to put all
    their eggs in one basket and use a card that big.

    Now it's better using multiple 256 Meg cards..

    I wonder what the best size will be in two more years :)
    Jim Townsend, Sep 27, 2003
  8. jriegle

    jeff liss Guest

    "jriegle" <> wrote in message news:<LRgdb.155071$>...
    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > having some problems with their cards.
    >
    > While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
    > reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
    >
    > Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
    > that's another story...
    > John

    I split the difference and added a 512 to my 256 and 128. I agree that
    putting all your pics (especially one-of-a-kind vacation shots) on one
    card is risky. I find the three aforementioned suit my needs just
    fine. Also, I still find the 1 GB's to be a little pricey right now.
    That will change, but for now, I'm a happy shooter with the three I
    use.
    Jeff
    jeff liss, Sep 27, 2003
  9. jriegle

    Bob Guest

    Another argument for multiple cards is that if your camera is stolen,
    as mine was, you lose fewer pictures.

    Bob, Sep 27, 2003
  10. "jriegle" <> writes:

    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > having some problems with their cards.
    >
    > While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
    > reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.

    I've limited myself to 256MB cards so far, but for a different reason
    -- my field backup expedient is to use an Iomega Fotoshow to copy the
    card contents to zip disks, that the 256MB card matches the 250MB zip
    disk closely enough that I can always manage to make it fit.

    I've *never* lost a photo to any sort of card problem, with 5
    different cards, the oldest going "all the way back" to 2000. Not to
    say it *can't* happen, but it seems to be rare enough that I don't
    find it driving any of my decisions.

    > Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
    > that's another story...

    There's that. Raw files from my Fuji S2 are 12MB.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 27, 2003
  11. Bob <> writes:

    > Another argument for multiple cards is that if your camera is stolen,
    > as mine was, you lose fewer pictures.

    I'd think the camera would be stolen *in its bag*; which would then
    also have the other cards in it. If they take the time to threaten me
    to hand over the camera while it's around my neck, wouldn't they also
    take the bag?
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 27, 2003
  12. jriegle

    Trevor S Guest

    "jriegle" <> wrote in

    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd
    > want one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy
    > several 256MB cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their
    > vacation photos because their only card died on them. In one case, a
    > buddy of mine lost all but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in
    > this group, there are people having some problems with their cards.
    >
    > While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty
    > card reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own
    > equipment.

    shrug... the corollorary of that is that if you have severl small cards
    it's easier to loose one.... eg I had 12 rols or so of our honeymoon, the
    ONLY one that was lost was the one of the chopper irde in the grand
    canyon... the point not lost on me ...

    I don't think neither way of doing it is "bad" they both have there flaws,
    I prefer having all me eggs in one basket and looking after that basket. I
    prersonally have a tendency to loose small things but not a cmaera, so
    keeping the big card in the camera and being careful with it is the
    approach I take. I have never had a problem with a card.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Sep 28, 2003
  13. jriegle

    Bob Guest

    I keep the camera is a small case and the charger, extra batteries and
    memory cards in a separate case.

    Bob, Sep 28, 2003
  14. Bob <> writes:

    > On 27 Sep 2003 17:22:48 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Bob <> writes:
    > >
    > >> Another argument for multiple cards is that if your camera is stolen,
    > >> as mine was, you lose fewer pictures.

    > >I'd think the camera would be stolen *in its bag*; which would then
    > >also have the other cards in it. If they take the time to threaten me
    > >to hand over the camera while it's around my neck, wouldn't they also
    > >take the bag?

    > I keep the camera is a small case and the charger, extra batteries and
    > memory cards in a separate case.

    But if you're carrying both cases, the same argument applies, and if
    you're not carrying the spare batteries and memory cards, a different
    problem argument applies, it seems to me.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 28, 2003
  15. jriegle

    Alan Browne Guest

    jriegle wrote:

    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > having some problems with their cards.

    A sports pj who gave us a presentation a few weeks ago advised using 2
    to 4 cards rather than the largest possible card for the same reasons.
    He also looks for quiet periods to delete dodos from the cards as he
    works. He did not report any problems ... to date.

    I suspect, that at least at this point in the evelotion, there is higher
    risk for cards than film wrt losing entire sets of shots.

    Alan.
    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2003
  16. jriegle

    JJ Guest

    Trevor S <> wrote:

    >shrug... the corollorary of that is that if you have severl small cards
    >it's easier to loose one.... eg I had 12 rols or so of our honeymoon, the
    >ONLY one that was lost was the one of the chopper irde in the grand
    >canyon... the point not lost on me ...

    Hey Trevor...um...err...I could conjecture several possible points.

    a. the other "rolls" had lots of sex pictures so you were especially
    careful not to lose them.

    b. the chopper ride was very enthralling/engrossing/bouncy, hence you
    misplaced that roll? Did you do a change while airborne?

    (I assume the Grand Canyon is really the geographical feature in AZ
    and that "chopper ride in the grand canyon" is not a euphemism for an
    intimate newlywed honeymoon activity.

    c. the camera had pictures of someone getting ill on the chopper ride
    and they discarded your memory card?

    d. If you only had one large one, you wouldn't have lost it?

    >I don't think neither way of doing it is "bad" they both have there flaws,
    >I prefer having all me eggs in one basket and looking after that basket. I
    >prersonally have a tendency to loose small things but not a cmaera, so
    >keeping the big card in the camera and being careful with it is the
    >approach I take. I have never had a problem with a card.

    Personally, I am from the "mechanical/electrical contacts will fail
    first" school of thought so I just buy one reasonably large card and
    leave it there. How many pins/contacts are made and broken
    everytime you unseat and reseat a memory card?

    I dunno - I haven't heard of many people complaining about contact
    failure? I could be wrnog! Sure would be ironic if one gets more
    contact failure by not seating/unseating the card from time to time.

    Yeah, the usb cable socket on the camera sees wear/tear everytime you
    plug/unplug it but I doubt a failure there would cause you to lose
    images already stored. (semantically, it could prevent you from
    taking more pictures and thus losing images from being stored. )

    Jay
    JJ, Sep 29, 2003
  17. jriegle

    Ted Rumple Guest

    Re: Don't listen to Alan Browne

    Alan Browne <> wrote in message news:<tQMdb.19603$>...
    > jriegle wrote:
    >
    > > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > > having some problems with their cards.

    > A sports pj who gave us a presentation a few weeks ago advised using 2
    > to 4 cards rather than the largest possible card for the same reasons.
    > He also looks for quiet periods to delete dodos from the cards as he
    > works. He did not report any problems ... to date.
    >
    > I suspect, that at least at this point in the evelotion, there is higher
    > risk for cards than film wrt losing entire sets of shots.
    >
    > Alan.

    I would never take advice from someone with teeth like his.
    Ted Rumple, Sep 29, 2003
  18. jriegle

    Ted Rumple Guest

    Re: Don't Take Advice From Alan Brown

    Alan Browne <> wrote in message news:<tQMdb.19603$>...
    > jriegle wrote:
    >
    > > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > > having some problems with their cards.

    > A sports pj who gave us a presentation a few weeks ago advised using 2
    > to 4 cards rather than the largest possible card for the same reasons.
    > He also looks for quiet periods to delete dodos from the cards as he
    > works. He did not report any problems ... to date.
    >
    > I suspect, that at least at this point in the evelotion, there is higher
    > risk for cards than film wrt losing entire sets of shots.
    >
    > Alan.

    I would never trust someone with teeth and gums like his.
    Ted Rumple, Sep 29, 2003
  19. jriegle

    Martin Guest

    "jriegle" <> wrote in message
    > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several

    256MB
    > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost

    all
    > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > having some problems with their cards.
    >
    > While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
    > reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own

    equipment.

    > Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
    > that's another story...
    > John

    My concern with small cards is that the contacts - on CF cards, at least -
    are pretty small and I worry about the wear & tear on the connector with
    frequent removal and replacement - unless you can save a significant amount
    of money buying smaller sizes, I would go for the large card and hope to
    increase the life expectancy of my camera...

    Martin
    Martin, Sep 29, 2003
  20. Re: Don't Take Advice From Alan Brown

    (Ted Rumple) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Alan Browne <> wrote in message news:<tQMdb.19603$>...
    > > jriegle wrote:
    > >
    > > > With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
    > > > one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
    > > > cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
    > > > because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
    > > > but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
    > > > having some problems with their cards.

    > > A sports pj who gave us a presentation a few weeks ago advised using 2
    > > to 4 cards rather than the largest possible card for the same reasons.
    > > He also looks for quiet periods to delete dodos from the cards as he
    > > works. He did not report any problems ... to date.
    > >
    > > I suspect, that at least at this point in the evelotion, there is higher
    > > risk for cards than film wrt losing entire sets of shots.
    > >
    > > Alan.

    > I would never trust someone with teeth and gums like his.

    I've seen his teeth! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!
    GreaseBall Italian, Sep 29, 2003