    shot. Do they exist? (Self timers with longer delays that 10 seconds,
    do they exist?

    Can anyone point me in the right direction to any of these solutions?
    GarryJones, Jun 30, 2010

  2. GarryJones

    eatmorepies Guest

    "GarryJones" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am about to buy a new compact digitial camera.
    >
    > I want to be able to do something that can be solved in 2 ways.
    >
    > 1) A remote control shutter.
    > I can't find any reference to any remote control ever existing on a
    > digital compact camera. Do such things exist?
    >
    > And or 2) A non-stop shooting sequence that continues taking pictures
    > until the battery runs out or the memory card is full..

    I have a Canon G5 which does what you want it to do. The remote control is
    IR and operates from as sensor on the front so a reflector is needed if you
    are standing behind the camera.

    What it does do is take a picture every so often (set by you) until the
    battery runs out or the card is full. I used it indoors (so I put it on the
    charger so the battery did not run out) to take a series of 120 shots of a
    flower opening over 10 hours or so. It worked. A 4 Gb card is massive
    capacity for the G5 as it has a 5Mb sensor - I think.

    The G5 has now been superseded many times and I have no idea if the latest G
    Big Number does the same as the G5. But the up side is that G5s are old and
    very much cheaper than when they were new. My wife still uses the G5 and the
    technical quality of the images from it are remarkably good for old
    technology.

    John
    eatmorepies, Jun 30, 2010

  3. GarryJones

    John Turco Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:

    > "GarryJones" <> wrote in message
    > >I am about to buy a new compact digitial camera.
    > >
    > > I want to be able to do something that can be solved in 2 ways.
    > >
    > > 1) A remote control shutter.
    > > I can't find any reference to any remote control ever existing on a
    > > digital compact camera. Do such things exist?

    > I have several older compact digital cameras that have wireless (infrared)
    > remote controls, but these require that the control be operated from in
    > front of the camera. Presumably this could be gotten around by the use of
    > some sort of reflector. The brands that used such devices included Nikon,
    > Minolta (now kaput), Pentax and Canon. Not in all models, of course. I don't
    > know whether any current models use them.
    >

    > > And or 2) A non-stop shooting sequence that continues taking pictures
    > > until the battery runs out or the memory card is full..
    > >
    > > A slight variation to the above is a self timer with a long delay (3-4
    > > minutes) that then takes many shots, I cant find any camera that takes
    > > more than a series of 23 pictures but these have to be taken when
    > > pressed as I cant find a self-timer function that takes more than one
    > > shot. Do they exist? (Self timers with longer delays that 10 seconds,
    > > do they exist?
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me in the right direction to any of these solutions?

    > The old Nikon Coolpix 8700 could do time-lapse photography with an accessory
    > (wired) control. Since you could set the interval to whatever you liked,
    > within limits, that would pretty much do what you want. I don't know of any
    > other models offhand, but there probably were some others.

    My Kodak P850 (2005 "super zoom") contains a "Time Lapse" setting, in its
    menu system. (I've never tried it, though.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 20, 2010