    4, Not Freeview approved

    5. Not all freeview channels listed.

    Silly person if you brought one.
    Possible, Dec 16, 2013

  2. Possible

    Fred Guest

    On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:

    > 1. Only SD quality
    >
    > 2. Cant record
    >
    > 3. Needs the Internet
    >
    > 4, Not Freeview approved
    >
    > 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    >

    > Silly person if you brought one.

    I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    $50.
    Fred, Dec 16, 2013

  3. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Possible
    <> wrote:

    > 1. Only SD quality

    So are many Freeview boxes and the normal Sky decoder.

    > 2. Cant record

    Neither can many Freeview boxes and the normal Sky decoder.

    > 3. Needs the Internet

    Nope. Pointless gimmick. If you want to play on the Internet, use your
    computer - if you want to watch TV, use your TV.

    > 4, Not Freeview approved

    Whoop-de-doo. Many phone being used are Telecom approved either. Such
    things are largely just a con for the company in charge to make money
    for doing nothing.

    > 5. Not all freeview channels listed.

    Since most of the extra ones are utter crap anyway, that's no loss ...
    in fact it's likely a good reason since it means less dross to trawl
    through when flicking channels.

    > Silly person if you brought one.

    Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    <http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    igloo/>

    Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.
    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  4. Possible

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/12/13 15:28, Fred wrote:
    > On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>

    >> 1. Only SD quality
    >>
    >> 2. Cant record
    >>
    >> 3. Needs the Internet
    >>
    >> 4, Not Freeview approved
    >>
    >> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    >>

    >> Silly person if you brought one.
    >>

    > I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    > channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    > watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    > channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    > $50.

    It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    it doesn't record.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 16, 2013
  5. Possible

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/12/13 18:50, Your Name wrote:

    >> Silly person if you brought one.

    > Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    > came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    > <http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    > igloo/>
    >

    > Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    > that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    > than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    > Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.

    There are only 11 "Sky" channels in the Channel Pack and none of them is
    very appealing. At $25.00 for 30 days, when you might want to watch
    maybe a couple of hours in those 30 days, its very expensive.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 16, 2013
  6. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <52ae9b16$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:
    > On 16/12/13 18:50, Your Name wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Silly person if you brought one.

    > > Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    > > came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    > > <http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    > > igloo/>
    > >

    > > Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    > > that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    > > than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    > > Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.
    > >

    > There are only 11 "Sky" channels in the Channel Pack and none of them is
    > very appealing. At $25.00 for 30 days, when you might want to watch
    > maybe a couple of hours in those 30 days, its very expensive.

    Some of the channels you can buy on a day-basis. Some of the channels
    may only be needed for certain times (e.g. school holidays) ...
    everyone is different.
    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  7. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <52ae998d$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    > On 16/12/13 15:28, Fred wrote:
    > > On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:
    > >>

    > >> 1. Only SD quality
    > >>
    > >> 2. Cant record
    > >>
    > >> 3. Needs the Internet
    > >>
    > >> 4, Not Freeview approved
    > >>
    > >> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    > >>

    > >> Silly person if you brought one.
    > >>

    > > I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    > > channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    > > watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    > > channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    > > $50.

    > It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    > channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    > it doesn't record.

    To be fair, most of the Sky channels are pretty rubbish, especailly in
    the "Basic" subscription. They of course then charge you more to get
    the the (supposedly) more appealing channels.
    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  8. Possible

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/12/13 19:25, Your Name wrote:
    > In article <52ae9b16$>, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    >>> came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    >>> <http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    >>> igloo/>
    >>>

    >>> Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    >>> that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    >>> than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    >>> Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.
    >>>

    >> There are only 11 "Sky" channels in the Channel Pack and none of them is
    >> very appealing. At $25.00 for 30 days, when you might want to watch
    >> maybe a couple of hours in those 30 days, its very expensive.

    > Some of the channels you can buy on a day-basis. Some of the channels
    > may only be needed for certain times (e.g. school holidays) ...
    > everyone is different.

    No, you cannot buy channels on a day to day basis through Igloo. You can
    buy *programs* on a program by program basis, usually sports events or
    films.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 16, 2013
  9. On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:28:55 +1300, Fred <> wrote:

    >On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>

    >> 1. Only SD quality
    >>
    >> 2. Cant record
    >>
    >> 3. Needs the Internet
    >>
    >> 4, Not Freeview approved
    >>
    >> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    >>

    >> Silly person if you brought one.
    >>

    >I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    >channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    >watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    >channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    >$50.

    Can you get the Freeview Sports channel 14

    Plus its Guide comes from the Internet and the steaming Videos.

    But Freeview is FREE and I can Record..
    Frank Williams, Dec 16, 2013
  10. On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:50:27 +1300, Your Name <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Possible
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >> 1. Only SD quality

    >So are many Freeview boxes and the normal Sky decoder.

    Not if they are approved ones..

    >> 2. Cant record

    >Neither can many Freeview boxes and the normal Sky decoder.

    Bull all mine can, but there is nothing for Igloo at all, but there is
    for Shy..

    >> 3. Needs the Internet

    >Nope. Pointless gimmick. If you want to play on the Internet, use your
    >computer - if you want to watch TV, use your TV.

    So how do 6 or more people relax and use your small PC screen

    >> 4, Not Freeview approved

    >Whoop-de-doo. Many phone being used are Telecom approved either. Such
    >things are largely just a con for the company in charge to make money
    >for doing nothing.
    >

    >> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.

    >Since most of the extra ones are utter crap anyway, that's no loss ...
    >in fact it's likely a good reason since it means less dross to trawl
    >through when flicking channels.

    Like are Free Sports channel 14, blocked on Igloo

    >> Silly person if you brought one.

    >Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    >came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    ><http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    >igloo/>
    >

    >Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    >that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    >than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    >Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.

    Yes but you cant record them so how do you watch a Program when you go
    out..
    Frank Williams, Dec 16, 2013
  11. On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:25:53 +1300, Your Name <>
    wrote:

    >In article <52ae9b16$>, Enkidu
    ><> wrote:

    >> > Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    >> > came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    >> > <http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    >> > igloo/>
    >> >

    >> > Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    >> > that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    >> > than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    >> > Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.
    >> >

    >> There are only 11 "Sky" channels in the Channel Pack and none of them is
    >> very appealing. At $25.00 for 30 days, when you might want to watch
    >> maybe a couple of hours in those 30 days, its very expensive.

    >Some of the channels you can buy on a day-basis. Some of the channels
    >may only be needed for certain times (e.g. school holidays) ...
    >everyone is different.

    But you do need the Intenet to do that..?
    Frank Williams, Dec 16, 2013
  12. Possible

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <52ae998d$>, ,
    Enkidu says...

    > On 16/12/13 15:28, Fred wrote:
    > > On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:
    > >>

    > >> 1. Only SD quality
    > >>
    > >> 2. Cant record
    > >>
    > >> 3. Needs the Internet
    > >>
    > >> 4, Not Freeview approved
    > >>
    > >> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    > >>

    > >> Silly person if you brought one.
    > >>

    > > I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    > > channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    > > watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    > > channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    > > $50.
    > >

    > It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    > channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    > it doesn't record.

    How is $50 for ten months a ripoff? What cheaper option exists to watch
    what he watched at home?

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 16, 2013
  13. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <52ae9eee$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    > On 16/12/13 19:25, Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <52ae9b16$>, Enkidu
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> There are only 11 "Sky" channels in the Channel Pack and none of them is
    > >> very appealing. At $25.00 for 30 days, when you might want to watch
    > >> maybe a couple of hours in those 30 days, its very expensive.

    > > Some of the channels you can buy on a day-basis. Some of the channels
    > > may only be needed for certain times (e.g. school holidays) ...
    > > everyone is different.

    > No, you cannot buy channels on a day to day basis through Igloo. You can
    > buy *programs* on a program by program basis, usually sports events or
    > films.

    Sorry, you're right, it is movies and sports events you can buy on a
    individual basis, but you can also buy some Sky channels as a package
    on a temporary pre-pay monthly basis as well.
    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  14. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:25:53 +1300, Your Name <>
    > wrote:
    > >In article <52ae9b16$>, Enkidu
    > ><> wrote:

    > >> There are only 11 "Sky" channels in the Channel Pack and none of them is
    > >> very appealing. At $25.00 for 30 days, when you might want to watch
    > >> maybe a couple of hours in those 30 days, its very expensive.

    > >Some of the channels you can buy on a day-basis. Some of the channels
    > >may only be needed for certain times (e.g. school holidays) ...
    > >everyone is different.

    > But you do need the Intenet to do that..?

    Nope. You just phone up and order it.
    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  15. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:50:27 +1300, Your Name <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, Possible
    > ><> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Only SD quality

    > >So are many Freeview boxes and the normal Sky decoder.
    > >

    > Not if they are approved ones..

    Since when was "many" defined to mean the same as "all"?? :-\

    > >> 2. Cant record

    > >Neither can many Freeview boxes and the normal Sky decoder.

    > Bull all mine can, but there is nothing for Igloo at all, but there is
    > for Shy..

    Since when was "many" defined to mean the same as "all"?? :-\

    > >> 3. Needs the Internet

    > >Nope. Pointless gimmick. If you want to play on the Internet, use your
    > >computer - if you want to watch TV, use your TV.

    > So how do 6 or more people relax and use your small PC screen

    "6 or more" people don't need to "relax" using the internet for the
    same website at the same time on the same device, even if it was a
    gimmicky TV connection. :-\

    > >> Silly person if you brought one.

    > >Only five so-called "reasons" ... geez, that's pretty hopeles. This guy
    > >came up with ten "reasons" a whole year ago:
    > ><http://www.throng.co.nz/2012/12/the-top-10-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-get-
    > >igloo/>
    > >

    > >Of course, you forgot the main reason people are buying Igloo, and
    > >that's to be able to get Sky channels only when they want them rather
    > >than having an on-going contract ... something you can't do with any
    > >Freeview box nor the Sky boxes.

    > Yes but you cant record them so how do you watch a Program when you go
    > out..

    Then don't go out when your favourite show is on. :p
    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  16. Possible

    Fred Guest

    On 16/12/2013 7:11 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > On 16/12/13 15:28, Fred wrote:
    >> On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>

    >>> 1. Only SD quality
    >>>
    >>> 2. Cant record
    >>>
    >>> 3. Needs the Internet
    >>>
    >>> 4, Not Freeview approved
    >>>
    >>> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    >>>

    >>> Silly person if you brought one.
    >>>

    >> I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    >> channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    >> watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    >> channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    >> $50.
    > >

    > It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    > channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    > it doesn't record.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Correction. The main reason to avoid it if you want to record, is that
    it doesn't record. For those who want something extra occasionally and
    refuse to pay the ridiculous price for sky it is not a bad alternative.
    The pvr built in to the TV set records freeview channels anyway.
    Fred, Dec 17, 2013
  17. Possible

    Fred Guest

    On 16/12/2013 7:36 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:28:55 +1300, Fred <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 16/12/2013 2:57 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>

    >>> 1. Only SD quality
    >>>
    >>> 2. Cant record
    >>>
    >>> 3. Needs the Internet
    >>>
    >>> 4, Not Freeview approved
    >>>
    >>> 5. Not all freeview channels listed.
    >>>

    >>> Silly person if you brought one.
    >>>

    >> I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    >> channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    >> watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    >> channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    >> $50.

    > Can you get the Freeview Sports channel 14
    >
    > Plus its Guide comes from the Internet and the steaming Videos.
    >
    > But Freeview is FREE and I can Record..

    Yes Channel 14 is on igloo, but igloo works in conjunction with built in
    freeview on tv set. It's terrestial only - not for satellite. So
    recording is no problem on a separate device.

    Fred, Dec 17, 2013
  18. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    In article <l8od47$8je$>, Fred <>
    wrote:
    > On 16/12/2013 7:11 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

    > >> I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    > >> channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    > >> watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    > >> channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    > >> $50.

    > > It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    > > channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    > > it doesn't record.

    > Correction. The main reason to avoid it if you want to record, is that
    > it doesn't record. For those who want something extra occasionally and
    > refuse to pay the ridiculous price for sky it is not a bad alternative.
    > The pvr built in to the TV set records freeview channels anyway.

    Very few TVs have built-in recorders, although I do see more of them
    being advertised, so it's obviously the latest gimmick by greedy TV
    makers trying to get people to upgrade the TV they bough only two
    months ago. :-\
    Your Name, Dec 17, 2013
  19. Possible

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/12/13 23:21, Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <52ae998d$>, ,
    > Enkidu says...

    >>> I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    >>> channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    >>> watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    >>> channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    >>> $50.
    >> >

    >> It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    >> channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    >> it doesn't record.

    > How is $50 for ten months a ripoff? What cheaper option exists to watch
    > what he watched at home?

    Because in ten months he probably only watches a couple of hours of
    non-free stuff.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 17, 2013
  20. Possible

    Enkidu Guest

    On 17/12/13 15:32, Fred wrote:
    > On 16/12/2013 7:11 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

    >>> I'm happy with mine. Doesn't need internet. Does give all freeview
    >>> channels available in my area. Ongoing use and costs optional. I have
    >>> watched one rugby test, one local game on mine and subscribed to extra
    >>> channels twice. Total cost in the approx 10 months I've had it - about
    >>> $50.
    >> >

    >> It's a ripoff. $16 for a rugby test is ridiculous. And the 'extra
    >> channels' are pretty rubbish. But the biggest reason to avoid it is that
    >> it doesn't record.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Correction. The main reason to avoid it if you want to record, is that
    > it doesn't record. For those who want something extra occasionally and
    > refuse to pay the ridiculous price for sky it is not a bad alternative.
    > The pvr built in to the TV set records freeview channels anyway.

    Well, many people won't have a builtin PVR in their TV, so it would mean
    a second box.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 17, 2013